Monday, March 6, 2023

Monday Message

"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

Well, this week we got another storm. For us it was an ice storm. I feel we were the lucky ones - no loss of power and no shoveling.

I did, however, need to wear my ice cleats which are very helpful as our driveway could be an ice skating rink really.

I walked out to get the mail and the mailman came at the same time. He saw me and pulled into the drive some to save me going further, wasn't that nice? I love small town living.

Again, it was so nice not having to go to the store for food on those roads. It still hasn't melted because we are so cold. This weekend is to be warmer and it will melt. Of course, by the time you read this it will all be gone.

I have finished the scarf I knit out of my own hand-spun yarn.

It was really fun to knit with my hand-spun.

I have started on the next spin.


This week's hardest job took two days of painful working. I went through and embossed each folder I have to its full size so I can figure out what I want easier and how big it will be. I do have a lot of folders gathered over many years. I put them in page protectors, this way I could see the back of them as lots have a cute different look on the back.

It was a ton of work so now this book is filled with every embossing image I have. You might notice the numbers are not in order. Each number matches that number of the folder and those are in drawers like a recipe file would be. But I chose to put like things together, like all the dot images, all the birthday images, etc. 

So if I was making a birthday card for someone, I would go to that section and pick which image I wanted then check that number on the image and go to the file, find the number (which are in order) and pull it, make the image, and return the folder to the file. This was a back breaking job. Took two days and lots of pain but now it will make it easier on me locating and using them. The file stayed the same but the pictures give the right size and better idea than before.

Then that left this binder for die cut and punches....

So that job is done, I am so glad.

I also took notes because all folders are not equal, not at all.... Some I needed to remove the bottom plate of the embossing machine, some used another plate and shims and cranking them through the machine.

Missy wanted to supervise. She played on the ironing board and watched closely.

I made chili and cinnamon rolls for the cold days of the storm. Tomorrow I will be making up more jars of bread mix as I am down to one.

I am grateful to have all the skills I have learned and to have the storage to assist me in the days we find ourselves in.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2018/01/monday-message_29.html - here is a past blog that holds a lot of info.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2017/10/monday-message.html - and also this one.

Missy leaves you with her words of wisdom... First, don't ever let your mommy dress you. Second, store one can of beans, three packages of cat treats, one bag of pasta, three packages of cat treats. And thirdly build those skills. We never know when we will need them. But seriously, don't forget to store three packages of cat treats, Missy says :p

12 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM

    Missy looks so cute! The last time I dressed a cat, I was 6. A feral cat had 2 kittens in our shed. I found them early on and they would let me handle them. So, I played house with them. One day, one simply didn't like their outfit and gave me a big nasty scratch on the back of my hand. Later that night I was in ER with a fever. Cat Scratch Fever, to be exact. My days of dressing cats were over. That didn't stop me from dressing up my dogs, though!!

    I love your scarf. Beautiful!

    You have a lot of embossing folders! I only have about 10. I sure like using them. Nice organization. I've made a lot of headway in my craft room, as well. So much easier to find things.

    Sorry I've been gone so long. I was sick all of February with some head cold that left me exhausted and coughing for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you were sick glad you are better ...yes I do have a lot about two hundred embossing folders rarely paid full price every now and then I find one on clearance. I put that outfit on her when she was young probably couldn't do it now a days we only did that the one time it came in a bag with other things I wanted I think this outfit was for a dog glad I took a picture of her in it. So nice to have no storm this week.

      Delete
  2. Hello! 👋🏻 Missy is such a smart kitty and she looks so pretty! 😻

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy is so smart! I'm guessing that is the last time you dress Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep she isn't fond of that too bad too because she is so cute

      Delete
  4. Missy so cute🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was one huge job...I have never ever seen an embossing machine...interesting...Missy looks so cute and probably appreciates he extra warmth ....have a wonderful week...love your Monday message thank you for all the years of information Ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Google big shot and you will see it you turn the crank handle and the folder with the paper in it rolls thru the roller and makes the impression in the paper

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...