Monday, September 11, 2023

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

It feels like catastrophes are happening faster and faster. We need to be ready for what else will happen.  We need to stock our up our storage and be ready to assist others.

We need to continue learning frugal ways to stretch what we have and learn how to live on less.  

Look at all that has happened of late, we need to be able to help however we can. There is no signs of any of this stopping. We also need to prepare for winter though it is hot now, it won't be long before it's here. If you can get a jump on preps that would be good and thinking this far in advance gives you time to get a little in now and then before it gets here.  

Those who are going into summer, we have had a rough summer with heat and is still going on so prep for that. The hardest part, aside from the heat for me, is to think up cool meals with what I have on hand. I tried, and am still trying, to cook ahead so we have leftovers and don't have to heat the house cooking. Try to use the mornings to meal fix.  

Keep working on your garden produce - can it or freeze it or dehydrate, whatever you can do will help your family later.

This week ahead will be another scorcher here so this snow picture might cool us off, it was a lot to shovel and I worry we might be in for it again this year so go through this post https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2016/10/monday-message.html and check out some of the links that can help you get ready.

Those who live where summer is coming, see if you can't save some seeds from what you are eating to plant in your yard or in pots. Same with potatoes, put them in the ground, I do not see prices coming down at all.

This week I wove a bit more on the dish towels.

I have dried more tomatoes and still have some going as well as leftover celery, trying to stretch what we have. If I have leftover produce by grocery day I will freeze or dry it or make a meal of it. This month I had celery left so it is in the dehydrator.

With awful heat coming again I used yesterday, which was a titch cooler, to make granola.

I did get a little spinning done not as much as I would have liked

One night I could not sleep and thought of a better way to shift things about in the stamp area. It was heavy work and took several days to get things back in order.


Continue to work on your produce, getting it put up, and please keep working on your storage. If that isn't overwhelming enough, time to think on Christmas.

https://www.thriftyfrugalmom.com/homemade-foods-to-make-from-scratch/ this gal has great ideas.

What do you keep buying? As you make your grocery list and you are looking at it, is there anything on it that you can make yourself? Bread or yogurt or stuffing mix? Whatever it is just do a search on how to make it. See if it saves you money. Every little bit you save adds up.

How are you coming on your skill building?

I know summer is so busy and kids are probably all back to school, time to think about those skills.

Missy says keep working at your storage a little at a time, this way it will not hurt as much as getting a bunch at a time.

Tippy Longstockings says stand ready to help others when needed.

10 comments:

  1. HI BECKY: HACE UN PAR DE MESES PLANTE SEMILLAS DE AJIS LOS QUE SE USAN PARA LA SALSA DE FIDEOS, ESTAN CRECIENDO BASTANTE LAS PLANTAS PERO TODAVIA NO SALIO NI UNO, ESPERO OBTENER VARIOS DE ELLOS YA QUE HAY VARIAS PLANTAS, TE CAERIAS DE ESPALDAS LO QUE CUESTA CADA AJIS, ES IMPOSIBLE COMPRAR, ASI QUE DIOS MEDIANTE ESPERO TENER LOS MIOS PROPIOS, TAMBIEN PLANTE SEMILLAS DE LIMON Y DE TOMATES, TODAVIA NO PASA NADA, Y ME OLVIDABA SEMILLAS DE CALABAZAS, ESTAN UN POCO CHIQUITAS, PERO CONFIO EN QUE CRECERAN YNOS DARAN FRUTOS. NUESTRO VERANOSE ACERCA INEXORABLEMENTE, TENGO QUE PENSAR EN LO QUE PUEDE PASAR: CORTE DE SUMINISTRO ELECTRICO, FALTA DE AGUA, LOS MOSQUITOS ACECHANDO ECT. Y PRECIOS SUPOER CAROS, NO DEBEMOS ENTRAR EN PANICO, PERO TODO SE VE MUY MAL, QUE DIOS NOS SIGA AYUDANDO COMO HASTA AHORA Y NOSOTROS TAMBIEN HAREMOS NUETRA PARTE. BENDICIONES Y CUIDATE DE TU FRIO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes prices continue to rise or stay high makes it hard for so many. We must try anything we can to be more frugal. Build our skills I think they are much needed now. Those strawberry plants are still alive and growing I am hoping they bear fruit sometime. this was new for me so we must push ourselves to do new things. I hope all your seeds grow fantastic food

      Delete
  2. Your stamp room looks perfect, so much fun I'm sure to play in there. I have to move my food storage now that the new oil tank is installed. i'm waiting for it to be cooler. for now I work on quilts for the winter. love all that you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts ... so inspiring! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the information and hints....have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stamp area looks terrific. So well organized. I didn't realize that you spin and weave. You're a lady of many skills and talents. I've just picked up counted cross stitch after a few decades. A friend gave me a Christmas kit, so I've started stitching. I am enjoying it. I'm also knitting socks for gifts and baby hats for the NICU. My hand quilting is an ongoing project.
    This past week, I jarred several jams and apple butter.
    Thank you for inspiring me to be creative with what I have.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy I say.... yes I like to do many things sounds like you do plenty too I saw where you could make cinnamon rolls using apple butter as the filling.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...