Monday, April 15, 2024

Monday Message

"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

It is a good practice to make it a way of life rather than a one time event. Life is a roller coaster ride up and down. Putting this in practice won't take that away but it helps so much to weather those lows.

I feel we all need to be kind and be the best US we can be and set examples for others and our children.  They are having so many negative examples right now that we need to step up.

We moved to the east when our children were in second grade and kindergarten. We went as a job took us there. My heart has always been in Iowa but I tried to bloom where we were. The kids would come home with words for spelling etc. and they would say "caa" and "potty" for car and party. I would tell them, we are from Iowa and we say "car" and "party." We were only there a few years. Not that New England accents are bad, I rather like them, but it felt like cutting ties with Iowa.

I tell you this story to say that we are influenced by our surroundings. Probably not a good analogy but as this wasn't negative, it just shows how fast we can be influenced.

We have to fight hard to not let the negative that surrounds us at this time creep in. Negative things are louder right now. We have to fight the creeping in. Remember who we are and not let good slip away.  So being kind to each other is so very important especially now. We need to be good examples.

Garden time is getting closer. Seeds need to be put in pots here at our area to be plants by the time May 15 comes around. I have dirt in my little pots. I find I have to spread out the tasks now as I am not getting younger.  

I found this site has many mixes. I like how she says core spices because I have stored my spices just so I could make my own mixes as well.

https://creativehomemaking.com/recipes/mixes/taco-seasoning-mix/ - this has other related mix recipes, so click around on them too.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/meal-planning-binder-easiest-method-meal-planning-ever.html#search/q=Mixes - she has lots of great mixes as well.

https://extension.usu.edu/sanpete/files/Soup_or_Sauce_SOS_Mix.pdf - I use this all the time, worth repeating, it is crazy the prices in the store. I once wanted to know if I made this and made canned soup if it would take longer. Well, it took exactly the same time. The big differences was the taste was so much better than the can and way cheaper was the other difference.

https://chickensintheroad.com/classic/cooking/homemade-yellow-cake-mix/ - you will recognize her site because I put this great post in for hamburger helper.

https://chickensintheroad.com/classic/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/ - this is such a great one, I often repeat here as it is so much better than its store-bought counterpart.

This week I was going by the thrift store and stopped in, they have rubber stamps that are a quarter. So I thought I would look to see what was new and they had one more rag ball, the yellow one on top so I was glad I stopped in.

We had to add some washers and tighten some bolts this week on the rug loom. She was happy. You can see what those balls turn into as I weave using them. This loom is a weaver's delight. I got it at Goodwill. They had it on their floor and I would go drool over it every time I went there. They had a price of $350. There was no way I could afford it so I would visit it and drool on it. 

Then one day a friend called and said she was there, I asked her to go drool on it for me she said, no, come. They put it on half price. I said no, I could not even afford that price. She said no, then they slashed it again. It ended up being $60. We had a truck then and we were able to get it though I had to take it apart to get it in and the neighbor came and helped to unload it minutes before they were leaving for a week. We appreciated their help. It took me a long time to restore it and learn it.

When my husband was in the military we lived in Rapid City, South Dakota, before we had children.  We would go for walks and we would walk by this little house and I loved it. She had a sign out that said rug weaver. I always loved the idea of being a rug weaver so I feel blessed to now be a rug weaver.  

It is hard to learn without having access to a teacher in my area but I am proof that you can learn by researching. This loom has a part that I do not have hooked up. I could easily do it and some day I might but for now I only wanted to do it manually. The part shoots these metal boat looking things across that hold the bobbin of fabric that you just have to pull the beater and it goes back and forth. It has the nickname of window breaker cause sometimes they would jump off the rail and break windows but I like to just do it by hand. No broken windows that way either.  

But weaver's delight looms have numbers stamped in the wood. They were made in Davenport, Iowa. They are all kept track of so you can access the history and who owned the loom before you, very neat. Veterans made rugs on mine, then it was in a home in a basement for a time. Then they lost track of it till I got it. I think that is very neat. We call the rug loom big Bertha.

Getting this loom was around the time I got the yarn haul I talked about in the last post as we had the truck at that time as well.

Also, this week I finished the project on the table top loom aka baby Bertha and warped her up to start these quarantine coasters is what the pattern is called.  


So off on this next project, this first one I am doing with half inch strips of fabric. The next one I do will be with 3/4ths inch strips to see which I like better, both were suggested. I wasn't sure she could do it but yes she can and it's turning out wonderful. I held my cup of water up to show the size better for you to see...yes, mini rugs, so cute.

I have done other things than weaving but these were the most interesting

And before you ask...

Yes, this loom is called Bertha. She has dish towels going on her at the moment. And no, I haven't named the inkle loom but she would have to be called skinny Bertha.

Weaving is just one of the skills I am working on. It has been fun learning but so much more to learn. I have many things I am learning research, research, research teaching myself. At least as the student I don't have to pay myself the teacher, it takes longer but free fits my budget.

How are you coming with your skill building? Share what you are learning below in the comments.

At the time of this writing, in two days it will be Easter weekend. So to those who celebrate Easter, have a happy Easter. Remember, to be kind and to be the example that you would want for yourself.

Missy says she wanted you to know she does come out of her bag and that she wishes all a Happy Easter.

Tippy Longstockings wanted to say that she could have a skill in hunting Easter eggs.

2 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: PARECE QUE TIENES MUCHO TRABAJO EN TU TELAR, QUEDAN MUY LINDAS TUS ALFOMBRAS Y QUE SUERTE QUE ENCONTRASTE OTRA BOLA A TU COLECCION DE LOS OTROS DIAS. ES DIFICIL SER AMABLE EN ESTOS TIEMPOS, NO ES QUE NO LO SEA PERSONALMENTE, PERO NOS ESTA COSTANDO MUCHO SALIR DE LOS CONTRATIEMPOS QUE NOS CAUSO LA ESTAFA, ESTAMOS AL BORDE DE NUESTROS INGRESOS, NO NOS ALCANZA EL DINERO Y TODO LOS ALIMENTOS SUBEN CASI TODAS LAS SEMANAS, APARTE LA TRISTEZA QUE SIENTO POR LA MUERTE DEL BEBE DE MI HIJA SIENTO QUE ES DEMASIADO PARA MI, MI ANIMO ESTA CAIDO Y NO ENCUENTRO SOLUCION A NUESTROS PROBLEMAS,NO PODEMOS IR A LA IGLESIA YA QUE NUESTRO VEHICULO NO SE HA PODIDO ARREGLAR, DEBEMOS ALQUILAR UNA CAMIONETA PARA LLEVARNOS A LA CASA DE DIOS Y ESO SALE CARO, ASI QUE HACE 2 DOMINGOS QUE NOS QUEDAMOS EN CASA, SON DIAS TRISTES, SIGUE ORANDO POR NOSOTROS,SE QUE LO ESTAS HACIENDO. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right you all are in my prayers. Is there anyone from church who could pick you guys up? The baby is not lost she will still get to raise him in the next life yes sad at this end but baby was perfect and setting on the lap of Jesus. All gets restored. Have you let your minister know of your vehicle troubles? You might want to do that. Here we keep having winds that hurt me so ...i am working in garage trying to get my husband organized while he works I can do a little each day. Pray for comfort for you and your daughter and for all... Turn your vehicle issues over to Heavenly Father you have done all you can then let miracles happen and I pray for you all❤

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...