Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Message


Provident Living: September 10 at 9:30 a.m. at the Shooks will kick off our classes. Bring your binders to have a show-and-tell so we can all get inspired by each other and get ideas. We will talk of food storage successes during the summer months and discuss what is wanted for future classes. This is open to all the ward brothers and sisters alike. If you cannot attend, but still wish me to teach on a subject let me know if you want a one-on-one. I am happy to work with you...kids and babysitters...the kids play, we learn...so no sitters are needed! We have not had one child say they were bored over here. We get cozy but we are not formal.
When will we learn these basic economic principles? However, “… when we really get into hard times,” said President Clark, “where food is scarce or there is none at all, and so with clothing and shelter, money may be no good for there may be nothing to buy, and you cannot eat money, you cannot get enough of it together to burn to keep warm, and you cannot wear it.” (Church News, November 21, 1953, p. 4.)

“The day will come,” said President Wilford Woodruff, “when, as we have been told, we shall all see the necessity of making our own shoes and clothing and raising our own food. …” (Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, p. 166.)
Remember to put up your veggies in whatever method you prefer.
Here is a way to recycle and get a rug for your  troubles... http://blog.nobleknits.com/2012/02/how-to-crochet-rag-rug-tutorial.html
Provident Living has many areas to it and being frugal and reusing items we have is a big part of it, as well as the rest. We want to learn and grow and never stop learning.
Living within our means is attainable, it is what we have been asked to do. This encompasses so many skills that is why I throw in these things to help us to learnAlso when I see one of our talented sisters share a pattern, I like to show it... http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=1416461341&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=3524448&link=aHR0cDovL3RoYXRzc29qdWxpZS5ibG9nc3BvdC5jb20vMjAxMy8wOC9zZXZlcmFsLXNtYWxsLWZpbmlzaGVzLmh0bWw&frame=1&click=0&user=0
This will be a great first project for a beginner! Also, it is a great way to use up leftover yarn. Christmas is coming and I don't know anyone who would not like to receive them. Julie, thanks for sharing it with us!
Here are some neat ideas for grocery shopping budget-wise... http://www.kayteelaurenblog.com/2013/03/grocery-list-budgeting.html

You may have a better way or do it different then this gal, but I will tell you she might get your juices flowing on the subject. There are a few things I do differently; instead of estimating the amount, I keep a total running all the time that way when I have hit my limit I don't go over, I may have to shift things around but at least I know. I use pen and paper and yes I have a back up pen with me. I know a calculator is faster but I have a tendency to not trust it very well or worry I will get half way and then it all goes away. One other is I do not go to one store only, I try to save on the gas and go where all the stores I like to go to are close together.
Keep two things in mind.....(most important) the more trips you make, the more you spend out of budget and two, the gas adds to that expense as well.
Though, if you insist on going many trips, I always pick up one thing every trip to the store for storage. Do it even if you don't go a lot, it makes you feel good to be adding to your storage!
Remember this is just for the idea as she has some things on her list I save a lot by not getting (anchovy paste for one ewwwwwwww)
Next, I wanted to share this with you... http://residencyinmotherhood.com/608/ (Mostly for you to get the idea) I used to do this all the time with jeans that people throw in the free box at yardsales due to broken zippers.
I know you are thinking this way of life takes time, boy do I know how it does, but you will be less stressed to not see credit card bills or not be able to pay something at the end of the month.
USE IT UP.. WEAR IT OUT... MAKE IT DO... OR DO WITHOUT.... Still works today as it did for our ancestors. Before you toss it out think of ten things you could do with it. Then, if you do not wish to do them, donate!
Keep working on your storage. Once you let it slide, it is harder to catch up then keep up.
Can it, dry it, vac seal it, freeze it...keep working on it! If there is a sale, purchase to enhance your storage if you are able.
This is a hard time of year to be thinking on it with the expenses of getting kids back to school, I have not forgotten, but next comes Christmas so even though it is hard do a little here or there it adds up!
I hear you working on things and I am proud of you  WAY TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Becky do you knit and crochet? I could use some private lessons - havesimple patterns but donot know how toread theinstructions, etc. Would you have some free time ha ha ha ha to do this some time starting in Oct or Nov? I can come to yourh ouse. Carla Hanson

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...