Thursday, February 2, 2017

Versatile Bread Mix


I keep my favorite (very versatile) bread recipe on the refrigerator as it is my go-to recipe. This week I added half cup oats to the recipe and put all in a quart jar as my bread mix. I do up about twelve quarts when I still have three or so mixes left.



Either I make regular bread, cinnamon rolls, rolls, or hamburger buns. The sky is the limit with what you can do. But today I made cinnamon swirl bread. 



I can do bread by hand but this time I used the bread machine. I put one and a fourth cup of water and put it in the bread machine bucket then I dump in my jar contents and set the bread machine on the dough setting.

When it is kneading, I check for flour in the corners of the machine and carefully use a rubber spatula to scrape. Once the sides are cleaned I let it go and walk away.

It takes about two hours in a colder kitchen and one and a half hours when the kitchen is warm. 

I let it rise near the bucket top and take it out. I spray my work surface slightly and spread the dough the length of the bread and about ten inches in the other direction. Then I spray or spread butter on the dough and sprinkle with sugar then heavier with cinnamon and I put raisins on. 

I start at the short end and roll, stretch, roll, stretch the dough until I get to the other end, the stretching gives me more of a swirl. Then I spray the bread pan and top of the loaf then cover with plastic wrap to let rise until the loaf is about an inch over the side of the pan. Takes thirty to forty minutes, depending on how cold the kitchen is.

Preheat the oven during that time to 350 degrees. Bake for forty minutes, remove from the pan and let cool. I throw a cotton dish towel over it as it cools. Once cooled, I slice it using an electric knife that I only use for slicing bread. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Would love to hear how you shape hamburger buns and how long they bake for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i pinch off a walnut size piece of dough i put it on counter and pretend my fingers are a cage and roll the dough around on counter with it caged in my fingers kind of a giant spider is how my hand and fingers all around the dough after rolling around it will be smooth then you could put in muffin top pan or on cookie sheet i flatten it with palm then spray and cover with plastic wrap till it rises to double bake for twenty to twenty five min it depends on your oven i like golden brown. I am sorry i did not see your question till now just made cinn rolls today with this dough.

      Delete
  2. looks amazing! thank you for sharing this recipe with us! I love making bread, I can never get a good product... maybe you will have to teach me, and what I am doing wrong! BTW I
    L-O-V-E your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i shape in roll but press on it to flatten http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2016/11/monday-message.html scroll down here to see the hamburger buns i do with this bread

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd be happy too if you have a bread machine you could be making this recipe now till you can get with me nothing like cinn rolls i say of you can make bread it is a great skill doing this method with machine is using same recipe but on days i don't feel well this is helpful

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...