Monday, April 4, 2022

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Our bishops storehouses are not intended to stock enough commodities to care for all the members of the Church. Storehouses are only established to care for the poor and the needy. For this reason, members of the Church have been instructed to personally store a year’s supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel. By following this counsel, most members will be prepared and able to care for themselves and their family members, and be able to share with others as may be needed." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

Anyone can use this advice. Our ancestors stored items they would need, we can too.

Building our skills now is very important.

https://madebygootie.com/crochet/asymmetrical-crochet-shawl-pattern/ - learn to crochet, this would be a great gift or add to your wardrobe, but it is a great skill to have.

https://mirellamoments.com/the-quartz-headband-knitting-pattern/ - this is a very basic pattern to develop your knitting skills. Again, makes a great gift.

https://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2022/03/mini-crochet-bunny-baskets.html?fbclid=IwAR1WTcqXOKqdpCqE6gG6jZ4Uwq8b0xoIC9egu8OEK42KjGsIB2Konnj3ZEk - this is a cute project just in time for the season.

https://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2021/03/bunny-crochet-cups.html - this is really cute. I will remind you that you could use buttons in place of the eye and nose pieces to be more frugal on both these items. I know you are saying you want to learn to crochet after seeing these, right??

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-crochet-for-beginners-979092 - so here you go, build that skill.

Look for ways that are frugal and helpful. This is the tip I have for cooling an angel food cake. I took an empty cone and covered it with tinfoil and it works great, been doing this for years. 

Sometimes it grows so big that even the feet on the pan are not tall enough but this pan doesn't have any feet.

I like having angel food cake mixes on hand because you only need to add water to them. Can I make it from scratch? Yes, I can, but in times like this eggs are high in price. I like to have pancake mix completes as well, you only need water to make them. So I do store items like this on hand in my storage too.

Since we are talking angel food cake, one of our favorite ways to have it is...

Pineapple Angel Food Cake

Mix a regular size can of crushed pineapple into an angel food cake mix, stir and put in a 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees till done golden and springs back.

This week has been a busy week, but I was able to get my seeds started.


I had an ear thing going on so was dizzy and nauseated from being dizzy but with Meclizine in hand I pushed on.

Still doing some spring cleaning and organizing. I redid my knitting bookshelf. While matching the books into colors was soothing, it was just nuts trying to find anything.

Now things are much easier to find. All the stitch books are together, books by same authors are together, Fair Isle knitting all together, etc. So much better, not so calming but well worth it.

https://happymoneysaver.com/category/recipes/frugal-recipes/ - some frugal ideas.

https://www.prudentpennypincher.com/100-best-old-fashioned-recipes/ great frugal meal ideas here

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/budget-friendly-dinners-that-are-big-on-taste/ - you can't go wrong here.

Missy says keep working on those skills they are more important than ever.

Gus says it's important now to get along and find fun things to do for free.

They both say hang on to your masks, it isn't quite over yet.

3 comments:

  1. Our salvage grocery store had cases of pint cartons of egg whites for 1.99 a couple of weeks ago so I made two scratch angel food cakes in a row and they were so good! I have three pints in the freezer for another time. I have a heavy soda bottle from a bottling company in my home town that went out of business during WWII that I use to cool my cakes. It is a bit of nostalgia.

    Is your pan nonstick? I picked up a nonstick one at a thrift store awhile back and then wondered if the cake would turn out and be able to 'climb' the sides. I am sure it would be easier to clean up than my 44 year old aluminum one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not nonstick I bet that would be better I just toss it in the dishwasher to wash it up. That is great on the egg whites here is a tip I get non sugar kool aide actuall the generic works too I like strawberry so just before you put it in the pan put some of the powder in as much as you like for color I fold in you can do over all or like a marble effect it is sooooo yummy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Kool Aid tip!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...