Monday, March 28, 2022

Monday Message


"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

"Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

In Argentina, Relief Society leaders are trying to teach the importance of food storage. They wrote: "Unfortunately, most of the sisters [here] cannot afford to buy an extra kilo of sugar, or flour, or an extra liter of oil. However, they have been encouraged to save, even just a spoonful at a time." (Elaine L. Jack)

"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry)

"Decide as a family that there will be no vacation or holiday next year unless you have your year’s supply. Many Church members could buy a full year’s supply of the basics from what they would save by not taking a vacation. Take the vacation time and work on a family garden. Be together, and it can be just as much fun." (Vaughn J. Featherston) *Intended as a suggestion. For the full context, read his talk here.

I think I could not enjoy a vacation knowing I did not have storage in. I once heard someone give a talk and say a person hasn't any business buying antiques if they did not have their storage in, it has helped me to have perspective.

They just said our wheat is going up. Wheat is in an awful lot of the food that we all eat so we need to take that into account.

I think now is the time to be stocking up on the very basics like dried beans, pasta, instant potatoes, flour (whichever kind you can eat). One time I told a lady about putting flour in five gallon food-safe buckets. When I saw her later, she said she had her flour and sugar in and showed us one bucket of flour and one of sugar. I then told her we were going through a bucket a month of each for our family so I kindly explained more would be needed.

It is easy to think it is a lot but when you have to do everything from scratch - cookies, bread, biscuits, rolls, brownies, pies, cakes, pancakes, waffles...you go through a lot of flour.

And that isn't all you need - yeast and lots of it. I get those two pound bags at Sam's. Get quite a few and store them in the freezer. I put one in a quart jar I keep in the refrigerator, this is my using jar. Then you have baking powder and baking soda and salt, I store powdered milk, and I keep my chocolate ingredients on hand.

You can use those ingredients to make my favorite chocolate cake, scroll down here for the recipe - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2020/04/monday-message_20.html 

Think about everything you eat then plan your storage.

What is the most expensive meal you eat? Is it fifty dollars for example. What could you get for that amount of money? Oatmeal, beans, pasta, flour, sugar, cornmeal, popcorn, canned tomatoes....so give up those meals for a time and use the money to stock your pantry. Get oil and shortening, get one dollar brownie mixes, get pancake complete mixes that you only have to add water to - it can be waffles or pancakes. You can purchase syrup or get the ingredients to make your own, have brown sugar and jams and jellies.

If you do not can meat get canned tuna, chicken, ham, beef. We store dried beef. I make a white sauce and add a little cheese and chopped up dried beef to it. We have this over toast or mashed potatoes. If you can, try canning meat, it is the easiest to can. Have beans and rice too.

https://jamiecooksitup.net/2012/08/40-food-storage-recipes-and-food-storagepantry-staple-lists/ - this can be helpful to get you thinking.

https://www.pinterest.com/mamakven/food-storage-recipes/ - more ideas.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/easy-pantry-staple-recipes-food-stocking-storage-tips/

https://preparednessmama.com/basic-food-storage/ - anything out of Utah is great food.

https://preppersuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Food-Storage-Recipes.pdf - this has very helpful information.

I wanted you to see eating this food can be good, you are not just eating beans although beans in things taste great too.

Peanut butter, jams jellies any of them in sandwiches on biscuits on waffles or pancakes or even fry bread is wonderful.

There are many recipes in this cookbook that are very easy and if you don't have a bread machine do it by hand it is just the same, here's my post with the recipes inside - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2020/04/monday-message_20.html

https://extension.usu.edu/sanpete/files/Soup_or_Sauce_SOS_Mix.pdf - my favorite.

https://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/ my other fav.

https://www.theideadoor.com/home-family-resources/self-reliance/food-storage/everything-under-the-sun/ - this is fantastic, another fav. I use her egg replacer recipe, it's one you should have in your binder.

Well I just want you to have the best resources out there. Things are changing and will be for quite a while, we need to adapt.

Keep working on your skills...



This is what I worked over trying different ways of doing it till I got the one I like which is the red one.

I took some of the fabric I used to cover the ironing board with, cut them into strips and used them to decorated a bit in my sewing area.


Missy says build those binders with recipes and information like egg substitutes.

Gus says remember to keep being safe, remember to be kind in all things and pray for Ukraine.

Get out your binders add your frugal recipes.

12 comments:

  1. I am just eating beans! That's because I'm vegetarian, though, so it simplifies things a little. :D My bean storage is pretty good! Flour is okay; I've been toying with getting another 50lb bag. Yeast has been good; I was flush with that AND toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic. It was a little wild watching everyone else scramble, and I was deeply grateful that I didn't need to.

    Your weaving is beautiful! I've got some plans to learn how to darn socks, and when I'm done knitting the log cabin blanket I'm working on, I've got some lightweight produce bags I'm going to knit. Trying to make sure I always have a few projects going, to squeeze in around the edges. :)

    Gentle pets for Gus and Missy! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say thank you. I am glad you have storage and working on skills thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Your weaving is beautiful and I really like your fabric on the plastic drawers.

    Flour is up to $8 for 5 pounds here except Aldi. I am thankful that we were diligent to stock up before this price increase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a big increase...i remember when it went up to $4.79 I asked a clerk why he said just wait it will go back down ...i went ahead and got it and it never went back down.

      Thank you I thought it would cheer up the sewing room. Thank you on the weaving compliment I am learning a lot...mostly on NOT what to do.

      Delete
  3. GM Becky! I love love that weaving. You need to try GREEN so I can swoon!!

    Wow on such expensive flour. We buy a Kansas grown wheat flour for about $2.70/5#. I have 20 lbs. In the freezer, but no more room. It goes rancid in a year or so, even in the basement. I'm reluctant to get more.

    I'm Hispanic so I grew up eating pinto beans every day, with every meal!! And red chili sauce and homemade flour tortillas. Everything else was a side dish. I could absolutely go back to that eating in a pinch. I'd probably lose weight, too.

    I like your storage decor. I'm in the process of reorganizing mine. I need to make new labels. I might borrow your idea and dress them up a bit. I saw that somebody covered them with contact paper, but that looks like way too much trouble!

    Give your smart kitties some love from their groupie!! in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love getting loves from the groupies. I buy my flour in twenty lb bags I dump in five gallon food safe buckets put two Bay leaves on top put on lid and put in basement on wood they keep five years before going rancid. Each of these will be a different color if I can I will do green but have to double the thread to get the right size thread.

      Delete
    2. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM

      Becky, is that whole wheat or white flour?

      Delete
    3. White flour the whole wheat berries I do the same but they last twenty five years but now they are finding much longer much much longer but I have in food grade buckets and two Bay leaves and lids and of course label and date. And most of all never set buckets of food on the concrete floor there needs to be wood between I stack buckets on each other but on the wood.

      Delete
  4. HOLA BECKY: ESTOY LEYENDO TU PUBLICACION Y NOMBRAS A MI PAIS, POR DONDE VIVO, HAY MUCHAS PERSONAS DE TU DENOMINACION, HE CONVERSADO AMABLEMENTE CON VARIOS DE ELLOS, ALGUNAS SON SEÑORITAS Y OTROS MUCHACHOS JOVENES, ALGUNA VEZ HABLE CON NORTEAMERICANOS, ¿SABES QUE POR DONDE VIVO HAY MUCHAS IGLESIAS MORMONAS? POR ESO SIEMPRE LOS VEO PASAR Y TAMBIEN ME HAN INVITADO A SU IGLESIA, PERO YO NO COMPARTO ALGUNA DE TUS CREENCIAS, PERO ESO NO ES IMPEDIMENTO PARA HABLAR CON TUS HERMANOS MORMONES. ME GUSTAN TUS TEJIDOS DE TELAR. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are a lot more then you think we have in common. Jesus is the head of the church our church is called the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. We live a life of following the ten commandments Jesus said the greatest is to love one another. We serve each other, we take the sacrament in remembrance of Jesus. Sunday school we learn about the teaching of the savior Jesus Christ. We take care of each other and others help where we are needed. We pay tithing which goes to help anyone member or not we are first to a catastrophe with food and water and blankets etc.we read king James version of the Bible. Things that are different we have the book of Mormon which goes right along with the bible it is another testimony of Christ while in the americas....in the Bible Jesus said other sheep he had.we believe we are sealed to our loved ones who we will be with again. Our general conference will be sat and Sunday go to pds.org to get the times in your area and watch to see you will find we are more similar then not. The church has sent millions millions to help the refugee needs I make chili and cinnamon rolls I work on some knitting and watch every session it is my favorite thing to do two times a year you can get it on your computer it is very uplifting....you could watch and know I am too and having cinnamon rolls and chili. We are having a huge thunderstorm right now.

      Delete
  5. I have a post going up this week about substitutions you can make in the kitchen, and it includes things to use as egg substitutes. Great minds, Becky, great minds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...