Monday, November 7, 2022

Monday Message

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet) 

At the time I am writing this we caught a nasty cold. Hopefully by the time you read this in a week from now we will be better. It is so good to know I can just go to the home pantry and pull out food I need rather than getting in the car and going to the store. I sure don't think either one of us are up for it at this time.

So this is a reminder - do you have your sick meals planned or kits made? When you are under the weather you can just pull out and fix without much trouble. I think getting sick is a rude reminder we need to have a plan.

Also, it is a reminder that things are still out there. Wear your masks and take every precaution. Though what we have won't kill us I can tell you it definitely isn't fun.

This week I got out my punch needles. I was a little surprised at how many I had. Most were from yard sales and clearance. I remember that pink one was from clearance way back when Hobby Lobby had a big wooden box at the front of the store that they just dumped clearance stuff in. Do any of you remember that? Now they hang on the back wall and are just putting clearance stickers on them right where they are displayed.

I don't think anyone needs this many. I think lots came in boxes or bags of items bought together at yard sales. The wooden ones on the right side there were ones we used in seventh grade to make rugs in art class about fifty-four years ago. That explains the 45-cent price tag on the unopened package. While not the exact same punch, they make a wooden handled one for 5.99. But I have seen one that is forty dollars and has only one size so if you want a different size it is forty dollars a size. Incredible.  

The metal ones all came together with the wooden one on the left, very old it is. It was from before they put a hole in the shaft. The metal ones are interesting. The third metal one from left goes with all those to the right of it. Twelve sizes for all types of needle punching. There are directions too for how to change them and believe me they are needed. Very vintage, it says from rugs to towels to dainty things like underwear...amazing.

So I was gathering fabrics from around the house to use with the punch needles...

The one on the left was burlap. I wanted to see how that very old one on the left worked without a hole in the needle, it worked....incredible.

The center was cross stitch fabric, it worked well with the fine needle which I mostly use.

The last was linen fabric. I was shocked to see how well it worked.

This pincushion I made years ago. I saw it in a magazine that gave you the pattern to trace off. Then you punch it, wrap it around a wooden spool, and make a pincushion for the top. To me it looks like a very mini hooked rug.

The other thing I did this week is make a family of five matching hats for winter.

I used this crank machine I got long ago from our daughter and her husband for Mother's Day.

It isn't as easy as you might think but I think they turned out good.

Once I felt like I was getting sick, I made a big pot of chili so we would have that to make for when I wasn't up for fixing food.

What is your sick plan?

We have a small amount of orange juice with 7-Up mixed together. It just kind of makes us feel a bit better whether or not it actually helps. The price though is unbelievable - 7.49 plus deposit on cans for the 7-Up and 5.99 for the gallon of orange juice - good grief! If someone reads this a hundred years from now they might think those were good prices, I assure you they are very high prices.

I want to encourage you to build what you can for storage. Research all you can on very frugal ways to do things. And build your skills....sewing, baking bread, home repairs, knitting, etc.

I feel they will all be necessary to aid you and your family.

Missy says make your home a cozy place and if you are sick, curl up inside...she isn't sick and clearly no room for me, but sends her love and says be safe!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,
    I'm so sorry that you were ill and certainly hope you are feeling better now. We always have enough on hand for quite a while especially when we can get a fair amount of snow some years. That little pincushion is so cute. Punch needle is a craft I have not tried, but the fact it looks like a mini hooked rug is intriguing. I like crochet, embroidery, crewel, counted cross-stitch, ribbon embroidery, paper quilling, some sewing, some needlepoint, and did latch hook as a child back in the 1970's. I need to try tatting at some point.
    I probably can't comment every week, but I will be reading and you can always tag me in your post and I would answer. I'm so glad to see that Missy is doing okay. I'm sure she misses Gus also. My kitties love paper sacks as well as balls of paper. Blessings, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YRY3J31 I hope you see this today the seventh this book is free only today on tatting I love to tat

      Delete
    2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D5T69XF ha here is another one free too

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Becky! I have them in my Amazon kindle for later reading.

      Delete
  2. Hope both of you are feeling better. A sick plan never dawned on me. We do have boxed chicken noodle soup but that only lasts one time. Something to think about. Tell Missy I've been thinking about her without much loved Gus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy is fine gus kind of picked on her reminding her he was head honcho she is fine but I will miss him forever. Still sick here so yes chicken soup and some things easy to fix for meals are a good thing in the sick plan.

      Delete
  3. thanks for you message Becky ...you have a great collection punch needles I have a few of those old ones also...the cat looks pretty cosy love how they like being in a bag...guess we could all use one for a few hours a day...chili and pasta sauce our go too's for me also so easy and I found a hamburger pie recipe which is a good one also..there are a few recipes out there some with eggs and others with bisquick or flour, eggs and water...I made one a few weeks ago and it really was surprisingly good ...and it would freeze well..hope you both feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I think we maybe climbing out being careful to not over do I don't want it back

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...