Monday, November 14, 2022

Monday Message

"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

Still sick here. I know I told you I would be better but nope, this cold virus is hanging on. Hard to believe just going to church in person and wearing masks got us, so it is back to virtual church for us. The person who gave it to us probably got over it in three days, not us, it'll be two weeks ago tomorrow as I'm writing this. We caught it but did not know it till Wednesday. So again, I will remind you to have a sick plan for meals and meds etc. made up ahead of time. The doctor my husband goes to says they are stacked to the rafters with sick people. So wash your hands and stay safe. Stock up on chicken soup.

I have been reading...blowing my nose...reading...blowing my nose...

I feel like that saying, "What did you do today? I survived." Yep, it's pretty much like that.

Here is what you do when you are resting and you aren't feeling up to much...





Everyone is feeling the pinch of high prices. We have to find ways of making do. We are all in the same boat.

What I have done is look through the main dish binders that I have and on a paper I came up with thirty main dishes. From a main dish we will have enough for two suppers and a lunch type thing.

This is not something that is in concrete. It changes if I have to use something up or if I have something on hand I want to make or that's easier to make. But things on my list are made with what I have on hand as well.  

I chose soups that we like and spread them throughout that list such as chili, a busy day soup I can make with hamburger and one with chicken, cheese soup, a favorite veggie chili soup which is way different then the chili soup, and baked potato soup. Then I put our most budget type casseroles. Thanksgiving is this month and I have a turkey in the freezer from last year as when there is a sale I get a few and always make sure I have one for the next Thanksgiving. And with that comes turkey sandwiches and turkey salad and turkey tetrazzini...you get the idea. And since we store the items for our Thanksgiving meal, normally it is covered. There are just the two of us at home so it goes a long way.

Now I could have written each meal down and what I would do with it leftover-wise but if I have the thirty meals on the list it may go a week or more longer which is good. Then I save this menu to refer to at another time.

One thing that my youngest daughter and I (and most people who knit) do is watch podcasts of our favorite knitters. They all buy these yarn advents. Some have tea advents and some jam advents. These are all very costly and even if you could afford it, you have to sign up a year in advance. So my daughter said we should make our own. Great idea! Our other daughter doesn't knit but I suggested things she would like, like nail polish etc. and to do one for her kids and husband in what they would like - just little things to make a fun memory or to cheer us all in this time of year that may be harder than those in the past. 

So my daughter that knits will do for her husband and I will for mine. So we do twenty-four of them and on Christmas day will be the bigger gift. For me, I am using all things I have on hand already so no extra spending. My plan is small projects I could do each day, things I have wanted to do but have put off as things get in the way. So it will also be the gift of time to do said little projects. If I ever get well enough to do this I will take a picture of them.  

These are all very small projects and each fits in a brown lunch bag that I staple it shut. All the items it takes for the project are in the bag so not hunting for items is a gift too. Then the gift on Christmas day will be a cowl or shawl that will take longer than a day that makes it a bigger item. While that is a pretty easy thing, it will be a bit harder to do for my husband but we shall see what I come up with. The bags will be mixed up and numbered. I am about half done and I already can't remember what is in them. This is just a cost-free thing we are doing to brighten the month with ever-rising costs and so much bad news and germs running amuck, it will be a bright spot.

It is time to be thinking of more frugal things you can do.

https://crazylittleprojects.com/christmas-cookie-mix-in-a-jar/ - inexpensive gift giving ideas.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/gift-ideas/g1266/handmade-gifts/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_ghk_md_dsa_prog_org_usx_g1266&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLT_WtZGaw_5810DPI0c40oEN6ObVu0_-OwVqrKKTEechnEIyuk5wsQaAlaXEALw_wcB - some cute inexpensive ideas here.

http://papernstamps.blogspot.com/2011/11/winter-warmer.html - this is a cute idea, could give with that cookie with jam star in it from the site above.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/325455510551523507/ - cute idea here.

https://www.the36thavenue.com/25-handmade-gifts-under-5/ - cute ideas.

https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/25-easy-homemade-christmas-gifts-can-make-15-minutes.html - I liked the soup mixes in this one.

I got this cat paw charm in memory of Gus and made it into a project marker for my knitting.


Missy says wash your paws and stay safe out there.

10 comments:

  1. great ideas Becky thanks for the tips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome and frog invites everyone to play twister

      Delete
  2. Sorry that you are ill. Flu and covid are raging now that many feel that they are tired of masking. Feel better soon. Your lovely gifts will be appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are better now that as a long three weeks of it tho we continue to where masks everywhere you all be well and safe too.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the links to some fun frugal things, a lot of really good ideas. Missy is a smart kitty to be reminding us to wash our hands! I hope you and your husband start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These blog posts are a week behind so we are no finally after three weeks better. Missy wants everyone to be well and safe and to slip her a piece of turkey

      Delete
  4. Hi! I hope you & your hubby feel better soon. I do enjoy your blog. I enjoyed the pics of Gus and Missy. I am sorry for the loss of Gus. My hubby and I are cat people. We have a tuxedo cat named Boots. He is a dilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are better finally after a rough three weeks. Each cat is so different they have their own personalities

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear you and DH are sick. It’s no fun! I’m glad you both are staying home with Missy and keeping warm, doing projects and eating hot food. Best medicine. I love the stitch marker you made of the kitty’s paw in honor of Gus.
    We both caught Covid at church back in June. I hope your bodies start to heal and you feel better.
    Give Missy extra love for me, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are finally feeling better after three weeks a rough three weeks we wear masks I hope this is the only flu we get. Missy says thanks Mary for the loves and be safe out there

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...