Monday, October 16, 2023

Monday Message

"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

We went from a week of 90 degree weather to cold weather. Tonight is to be 36 brrrrr! I am hoping we yet get to have fall but we shall see. This year has not been normal.

It has been busy with putting up food this week.

Remember in the spring we got those days of a freeze and I was worried we wouldn't get peaches? I guess I need not have worried.

So we have been eating wonderful peaches and as I get enough ripened, I made jam and as they continue to ripen, I will make more jam. Some peach raspberry is wonderful!

I will be canning them as well.

That little tree really did great this year. There was so many. We had to put seven supports so branches would not break. I am sure it is ready for a rest.

Groceries continue to be high this week. Hamburger was on sale (still very high), but if you buy it in ten pound tubes it is cheaper than if they wrap it for you. So trying to be frugal, I switched around my grocery list to buy two tubes, that is the limit. I do the groceries once a month. It is not my favorite job to repackage it for freezer but I do. Plus, my packages are less then a pound to get more meals, just a bit over half a pound per package. To have the freezer space I needed to make a batch of raspberry jam, so I did that. Still more of that to make but the hamburger is now in the freezer. Waiting for the peaches so I can make some peach jam as well.

This last week our church had General Conference so we watched it. While we watched it this was proof Tippy Longstockings did not.

I love love love General Conference. I watch every bit of it. Before we had kids, I worked for a time cleaning motel rooms. When conference was on I would turn it on so I could listen to it while I worked then run fast to the next room and quickly turn it on to listen to it while I worked. Now I worked hard to get this cowl you see on the floor being blocked done.

I wanted to get it done as it is more difficult than the one I wanted to work on during conference so that I could just listen and knit.

This is the one I am working on. I worked this much during conference.

As I was doing my frugal grocery list, apples were on the list and since I was only going to two places I priced their apples then priced the orchard. To my surprise, the orchard was cheaper. Being only a few miles away, I went and got their apples. Pushing through trying to be even more frugal is a lot of work but it helps so very much.

I think we all will have to be more frugal than we ever thought we could be.

Here is the update on the strawberries - they are still alive.

I hope I can keep them alive and plant in the spring.

I think of the brisk weather as a very real reminder that winter is coming and the squirrels are busy burying walnuts that I will have to contend with in the summer months. Though I think there is one that thinks peaches are some strange walnut as it chomps off the fruit and runs off with the pit. Wish those would grow into peach trees. So I will try my hand at growing some by opening the pit (not easy to do) and planting the seed within.

This was Missy as a baby. She then was brought inside and still as cute as ever, now I brought a smile to you :)

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/frugal-living - has some ideas here.

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/extreme-money-saving-tips - more here.

Mind you, pick what works for you. Not everything works for everyone.

I suggest making those grocery lists before you go. I know it isn't fun but take your grocery budget and stretch it as far as you can. Sometimes you have to juggle your list some to get something on sale like I did this month. If you have storage, this is a lot easier to do. Next month I won't be getting these sales but hopefully something else will be on sale and I will have to juggle again. Of late there hasn't been much we use. A lot seems to be on prepackaged things which I can do better with our grocery budget if I don't get those but buy things to cook from scratch. With prices high we have to use all our tools and cooking from scratch and not wasting anything is the best we have right now.

https://www.rd.com/list/being-frugal/ - this has great ideas as well.

https://morningchores.com/frugal-living/ - here are lots of ideas

We need to make it a habit to be more frugal. Doing hard things even when we don't want to will be of much help to our family.

I know you don't want to hear me say this but Christmas is coming very fast...

https://www.pinterest.com/thepeacefulmom/diy-gifts-on-a-budget/ - everyone needs ideas.

At the time of writing this, our low temperature tonight will be 36, so a reminder that it is time to think about winterizing and getting ready for winter. Remember, to take your hoses off as they will burst once frozen and cause unwanted damage and cost. For those of you not heading into winter, you will be getting yours out to water gardens and warm weather - fun! Think of us icicles when you do.

Trying some chalkboard fun. I saw this on Pinterest and thought I would try my hand. My motto should be this.

Missy says stock those pantries and be more frugal, harder times are coming, and do better to hide your baby pictures or mom puts them on the blog.

Tippy Longstockings, besides saying help me, says you are all doing a great job. 

12 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY; TE VES MUY LINDA CON ESA BUFANDAEN EL CUELLO, ESTARAS ABRIGADA PARA EL INVIERNO. QUE BUENO QUE TENGAS TANTOS MELOCOTONES PARA HACER MERMELADAS FRESCAS Y CASERAS, NADA MEJOR QUE HACERLO UNO MISMO. AQUI TAMBIEN LAS COSAS SE ESTAN PONIENDO MUY DIFICIL, LOS PRECIOS NO PARAN DE AUMENTAR SEMANAS TRAS SEMANAS, ES INCREIBLE Y ME SIENTO MUY ENOJADA, YA NO SABEMOS QUE HACER PARA PODER LLEGAR CON NUESTRO PRESUPUESTO, LA INFLACCION SE COME TODO NUESTRO DINERO. EL DOMINGO VOTAREMOS PARA NUEVO PRESIDENTE, VICEPRESIDENTE ECT....... TODOS SON MENTIROSOS Y ALGUNOS CORRUPTOS ¿PUEDES CREER? QUE DIOS NOS AYUDE. CUANDO TENGAS TIEMPO, PASA POR MI BLOG, HICE UNA PUBLICACION RECIENTEMENTE. BENDICIONES Y ORA POR NOSOTROS Y POR ISRAEL, QUE DIOS NOS AYUDE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the prices just keep going up scary times when each month you wonder how to manage I have been making yogurt and cheap granola..and continuing finding things I can make myself it is hard

      Delete
  2. Love the photos of you and your adorable cat! And thank you again for these links! There is so much to learn. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I do love having cats I love to learn

      Delete
  3. Glad you could restock your ground beef for a good price. I hate that messy meat repackaging too but it sure does save. This week we can get boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.99 a pound limit ten pounds and you can be sure I will get those ten pounds! We try to do the loss leaders at three stores each week and it is exhausting but it is the only way to keep the savings going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the only way to make ends meet I say I think you are doing a great job

      Delete
  4. You are amazing dear friend. Thank you for inspiring us to keep storing food and being frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I’ve done for years (because I am cheap AND lazy! 🤪) is when I get home after buying hamburger in bulk, I go ahead and cook a lot of it up on the stove, just adding salt, pepper and maybe some dry minced onion to it. Then after draining the fat, I package it into freezer bags with 2 cups in each, flatten the bags and put into the freezer. That really saves me time later when I want to use Hamburger in a recipe!

    Gardenpat in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spoke with a woman last night at church who said to me, "I never thought that when I reached this age, I'd be working so hard to save money! I make so much more from scratch than I ever have just to make ends meet in the grocery budget." And she's a vegetarian who grows some of her own food! I told her I was doing the same. I make more now from scratch than I did when we had five kids at home and were so terribly broke all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be true all over. Terribly broke all over too. We will all need to rely on our skills and thrift I think we all need to buckle up it is going to get rough

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...