Monday, October 9, 2023

Monday Message

"I have paid attention to the counsel that has been given me. For years past it has been sounded in my ears, year after year, to lay up grain, so that we might have an abundance in the day of want. Perhaps the Lord would bring a partial famine on us; perhaps a famine would come upon our neighbors."  (President Brigham Young)

This week our peaches have been ripening so my plan next week is to work up jams. I will do peach and raspberry and peach raspberry. We love them all.

I was walking past sugar at the grocery hoping to replace what I will use but the ten pound bag was near eight dollars! I passed. I haven't looked at sugar prices for some time so I was shocked. I remember when it was $2.79 and I thought that was horrible. I am thankful to have it stocked in the storage.

So I continue to urge you to pick up at least one item when you are at the store to stick in your storage.  And if we can plant foods, we should try. The peaches and raspberries we have planted help us so very much as well as our tomatoes. I am coming to the end now of the garden this year but picking seed for next year.

I have been researching on how I can be more frugal.

I took yogurt and the one we like at store is $5.98 so I found a recipe that seemed like it would work, I'll let you know when it is finished, hopefully tomorrow.

So check things on your lists - what is costly and can you make it yourself?

Prices being what they are we need to be able to make more things for ourselves.

https://www.budget101.com/recipes/516-complete-mix-recipe-index/#mix-recipes-by-index - here is a good place to start looking.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a24885/make-at-home-cleaners/ - start making your own cleaners will help.

When making a meal, make two and put one in the freezer. Often it is cheaper to do this plus saves us time.

Organize your stuff so you can easily find an item saving you from having to buy it again.

Remember a while back I scraped seeds off strawberries and then grew them? Here is what they look like today.

Making your own bread is a far better price than store-bought, plus you can make more than just bread, but rolls too and a whole bunch more!

Start eating in. Homemade pizza is the best ever! Find a great recipe here - https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2017/05/monday-message_29.html

I vacuum seal things to make them last longer. They will taste fresh when I open it up. This save soooo much money.

Missy is in the box - a free play thing for the cats, only just an old t-shirt and a box.

Weaving on the loom now is dish towels. I have also wove dish cloths.

Books when you get them free at the library is great entertainment.

Purchase a used sewing machine to sew and to mend, this helps tons.

I am learning new things on spinning all the time. Making your yarn is a great way to have a yarn you want but is too costly.

Here is yarn I dyed all ready to spin.

We got a second bloom this year from the lilacs. I think they were stressed with us having no water all summer.

Missy says just get one item at the store, if that is what you can afford, to stick in your storage for winter.

Tippy Longstockings says make a plan then when you work your plan, a nap is in order.

4 comments:

  1. I went to the store to pick up my meds. Had a walk around and saw 1 pound of butter was $6.49. I almost fell over! I usually go to BJ's and get 4 pounds for $11. We went on the weekend it went up to 13.95. I live near Philadelphia and things are really expensive here. I try to stick to Aldi and Lidl. Take care of yourselves. Love the cats!!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Aldi is higher prices they use to be cheaper yes prices just keep rising this is not sustainable I say...here busy making jams raspberry, peach, raspberry peach which is a fav. These cats are characters that is for sure.

      Delete
  2. Our Aldi is high here, often find prices are same or lower at our Kroger store on many items.
    This month the bulk of my grocery spending is going into the pantry. I'm restocking outages, mostly necessities first and if there's any at all leftover, I'll restock some of the want items on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great plan I think I am doing that too. I use to shop at Aldi as it was cheaper then before pandemic it shot up so I go with cheapest.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...