Monday, November 6, 2023

Monday Message

"Included in the year’s supply of basic foods should be life-sustaining foods that store well for a long time: grains (wheat, rice, corn, or other of the cereal grains); dried milk, dried fish or protein vegetables such as beans and peas and other fresh, canned, dried, or pickled fruit or vegetables; sugar or a sugar substitute such as honey; some form of fats; salt; and water. Fresh taro or sweet potato, and live pigs, chickens, or fish might be considered as a supply in some areas of the world where it is difficult to store food. Remember that regular use of whole grains is important in building a digestive tolerance for roughage." (Barbara B. Smith)

Well I hope you living up here in the north are all buttoned up for winter!

We found a few more things in the garden as we had to pick everything since we are in a freeze warning overnight and that will end everything. I am hoping it ends the allergies as well.

We enjoyed our very tiny last musk melon I put the pen in picture to show how tiny it was but big on flavor.

I ran across this soda and cake mix recipe and we were having company so I tested it out on them, they were a hit! 

Recipe here: https://www.allrecipes.com/article/soda-cake-mix/ I think those who have egg allergies could use this and have a cake or cupcake. I also think when cake mixes are on sale and soda, it could be something nice to add to the storage.

Here is the progress on strawberries. I will be transplanting to their own pots this week I think.

I brought in my geraniums. I have three and thought I would see if they would keep over winter. If I can't they would have died anyway so figured I would try.

The picture was drawn by my youngest brother who has passed now. He was a very good artist.

I had an odd mitten that I used as a cozy for my sock machine weights. It is kind of hard to see but a great frugal use for that mitten.


I am looking forward to some slow down time now that gardening is done

I have completed the advent bags for hubby and I so that is good. We tried them last year for the first time and he loved them so I started in January and added bag items into my grocery budget, a little here and there and bagged them as I went. It was easier to do a little at a time rather than all at once. Plus, mine are a complete switch. Last year I put together little kits to do one project each day. That was wildly hard. This year I changed to no kits or requirements so I will be free to do other things. That is the real gift to me on this round.

I have a memory of a goldfish so I can remember a few things for me that are in the bags, like the last one which is for Christmas and I think rubber stamps from clearance and the thrift store, oh and a mini pumpkin waffle iron from the thrift store. Outside of those I cannot remember. It will be a surprise for me as well...January was long ago.

Have you been thinking of Christmas gifts as well?

I am going to put up a couple sites that talk of frugal things people did in their weeks before Christmas. If you have some you follow put them in the comments, we would love to see them! Also, what frugal ideas do you have for a frugal Christmas?

https://theprudenthomemaker.com/category/frugal-accomplishments/

https://hyperjar.com/blog/money-management-frugal-christmas-guide-2022 - some good stuff here.

https://www.frugalfamily.co.uk/frugal-christmas/ - I liked the crayon idea and hamper one which is baskets filled, pretty nice ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/yyywkd/how_do_you_handle_christmas_as_frugal_as_possible/ - this is a list of people's ideas. I like the "curated basket" idea but people sharing ideas, I love it! The get a gift every paycheck idea is kind of like I mentioned earlier with every grocery day I got bag items two each as I only get groceries once a month.

https://www.frugalandthriving.com.au/frugal-christmas/

https://www.thecuriousfrugal.com/frugal-christmas-ideas/ - had me at pajama party!

https://www.pinterest.com/FrugalMomL/frugal-christmas/ - I love to be inspired.

Missy says keep working on your storage as you can, slow and steady!

Tippy Longstockings says well if you put your garden to bed, she too is going to bed in her bag! Find time to rest.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Becky. What is the woven bell piece in front of your brother's awesome artwork?
    Bun

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLA BECKY; ESPERO QUE TENGAS SUERTE CON TUS PLANTAS Y DEN RICOS FRUTOS, ME GUSTAN TUS TRABAJOS. ESTOY EMPEZANDO CON LOS REGALOS QUE DARE A MI LARGA FAMILIA, TENGO MUCHO PARA TEJER Y COSER, TENGO VARIAS IDEAS EN MENTE, VEREMOS QUE SALE. GRACIAS POR LOS ENLACES, ME DAN BUENAS IDEAS. ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? HICE UNA PUBLICACION RECIENTEMENTE Y HAY UNA GRATA NOTICIA IMPORTANTE PARA NOSOTROS. DIOS TE SIGA BENDICIENDO Y CUIDATE DEL FRIO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations they are such a cute couple. You definitely will be busy doing all that if I was there I would help instead I will send prayers for you all.

      Delete
  3. ERES TAN AMABLE BECKY, TIENES UN CORAZON PARA SERVIR A LOS DEMAS. DIOS TE BENDIGA RICAMENTE Y A TODA TU FAMILIA. APRECIARE TU ORACIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your family is very very blessed to have you

      Delete
  4. I have some geraniums that are over ten years old! They just go and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are struggling I did cut off some leaves I will try to start but I feel the plants aren't going to make it

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...