Monday, November 27, 2023

Monday Message

"Wherever possible, produce your nonfood necessities of life. Improve your sewing skills; sew and mend clothing for your family. . .Develop handicraft skills. .and make or build needed items." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

I have been stretching my sewing skills to the max this week. We were given three suits all needed something. Two needed hemming. That is easy. One needed taking out an inch less, easy. They make them with some extra to do that but then one jacket needed taking out and one taking in and the sleeves shortened... this all took two whole days and I was stressed I would ruin them. It required deconstructing, bad deconstruction.

It was very scary. My mother-in-law was the best seamstress ever and I sure miss asking her questions.  I miss her all the time already but this week I could have used her help, though at times I felt like she was answering me. Like when I would have to think on how to do something, I would think of a short cut and it was "no, you need to do it right"...grrr, so I did.

This is that splayed out suit pictured above. The pics are kind of dark but this is it after I took it out. This was the hardest one.

This is the suit I had to take in and shorten the sleeves after finishing.

It was all very hard and stretched my sewing abilities to the limit but saved us so much money and now he has them to wear to church.

So building sewing skills is a great skill to pick if you are looking for a skill to work at. I plan to keep working on building on what I already know on sewing.

I was able to get this little shelf that is an upgrade to the last one I got which my husband will now use in the workshop, trying to have nothing go to waste.

I wanted to put this in here to show that used things aren't bad. I know years ago they got a bad rap but remember that saying I like - second hand is not second class.

It is very helpful for our budgets and environment.

We have picked up things and restored or refashioned them for ourselves and for gifts. It's an especially good idea now that we turn our attention to the gift giving season. One time I picked up this stool someone set out to get rid of. I got it and noticed their garbage had blown around so I got the stool loaded and picked up their garbage. I knew what I wanted to use it for right away so I brought it home and cleaned it up and it is now my spinning stool.

It works well for me. One time I got a plastic kids kitchen one piece toy and brought it home, scrubbed it up, put a bow on it and gave it to the neighbor girls on Christmas, they loved it. Probably thought Santa brought it, only mom knew. So don't pass up things you could use or gift with a little love and care. This is just another tool of being frugal.

I watch a podcast where the gal goes to thrift store on Thursdays. This is her day out. She set an amount, like stay under ten dollars, and she said she only gets what is useful to her. Someone said if money is so tight why not just save that money up to get something you want. Giving herself the day out is something she really wants. I'm the same way, I prefer to spend less. That ten dollars goes further in a thrift store.  

I also hemmed a pair of pants for myself and I cut an old towel for cloths and surged around them.

It has been a busy week. I have also been tweaking things I moved last week. I still have one more tweak to do then I will put a halt to some of the fall/spring cleaning.


Even this cart was used and some in and on it as well but this cart works well with the drawers. I moved the plastic container in the top drawer so you could see under it, it has watercolor crayons in it. Under that is empty palettes for paint mixing and the altoid tin I made into my own little watercolor box. 



The next drawer has pens and pencils and erasers, the next watercolors and in the next I have even more watercolors. In the bottom I have paper towels and a container of tubes of watercolor paint. This means I moved the tatting thread to the plastic drawers.

So those are things I have done plus some vacuum sealing which helps lengthen the life of my food.

I encourage you to stock up on your storage as you can with holiday sales as the stores run some food sales at this time of year.

Think outside the box. When you are about to toss something stop and think what could I use this for...?

Try to be more frugal and think of more meaningful gifts rather than things that are costly.

Share what frugal things you are doing this holiday or just in general in the comments below.

Missy says being thrifty is a great way to stretch your dollars.

Tippy Longstockings says this is a stressful time of year so look for a bit of sunshine and stretch out in it.

10 comments:

  1. TOTALMENTE DE ACUERDO CONTIGO BECKY, HAY QUE SER LO MAS FRUGAL QUE PODAMOS, AQUI LA VIDA SE HA PUESTO MUY DIFICIL Y ES EN SERIO, YA NO SE QUE HACER, ES DIFICIL COMPRAR ALIMENTOS Y TENER A LA FAMILIA BIEN ALIMENTADA, LA ROPA ESCASEA, TENGO MI VIEJA MAQUINA DE COSER A PEDAL QUE ANDA EXCELENTE ASI QUE TRATO CON POCA TELA DE HACER ROPA PARA TODOS, AHORA ESTAMOS CASI EN VERANO Y SE USA MUCHO LOS SHORTS PARA LOS VARONES Y VESTIDOS FRESCOS PARA LAS CHICAS, ME HICE 3 POLLERAS LA SEMANA PASADA CON UNOS RETAZOS QUE ME REGALARON, UTILIZO ELASTICO PARA LA CINTURA, ME RESULTA MAS FACIL Y COMODA, TAMBIEN CONFECCIONE VARIOS PANTALONES CORTOS PARA MIS HIJOS, ES MUCHO TRABAJO, PERO EL SUELDO NO ALCANZA PARA SALIR A COMPRAR ROPA NUEVA, VOY TAMBIEN A LAS CASAS DE SEGUNDA MANO, SIEMPRE ENCUENTRO COSAS INTERESANTES. GRACIAS POR PASAR POR MI BLOG, DIJISTE QUE OJALA QUE NO TENGAMOS TANTO CALOR COMO EN TU CIUDAD, EL VERANO PASADO LLEGO A 44 CENTIGRADOS DE CALOR UN HORNO. ¿CUANTO HACE DE CALOR DONDE VIVES? BUENOS AIRES SE PONE MUY CALIENTE DURANTE EL VERANO, CASI NO SALGO DE MI NIDO JAJAJAJA. BENDICIONES PARA TI Y LOS TUYOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ours doesn't cover cost of new clothes either we get used ones as well we just keep on pushing thru. This last summer we were above average we had long stretches near a hundred and were and still in drought. When we have apples we each have half and I pop the seeds into a pot I have several little apple trees growing I hope I can keep them going I still have strawberry plants I soon need to give them their own pots but waiting a bit longer I hope all grow and bear fruit. Best wishes for you all.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing !! great job on the suit. Love seeing the little waffle makers. Well I just love your whole home.You have such a way with decorating and organizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I just love these little waffle irons I sweated thru all the suits adjustments so glad those are done. It is all many many years of yard sailing is what this house is full of.

      Delete
  3. thank you for your Monday message Becky you always do such a great job...your busy all the time..jope you enjoy all your changes always good to move things around gives one a good feeling...have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yesterday I thought I could move sewing room tables to get a better flow ha I measured lengths but not depth so gad to move all back but it helped me to do better organizing as I went so it did work out even if I had to move things twice.

      Delete
  4. You did so well on the suits! I like the Dash waffle machines all lined up on the shelves.

    We have been fortunate to be able to do a lot of stocking up with the sales in November. We have enough sugar, brown sugar and powdered sugar for the year. It will certainly not get any cheaper than the sale prices we paid for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job yes not going to be any cheaper. I love those little waffle iron for a while every time I walked in to salvation army they had a different one maybe someone was giving up their collection. I still look when I am in there I never see anymore but I look I know they have a set now you can get at Costco with plates that change for almost a hundred bucks but I have most I don't have snow flake or Christmas tree but I put the pumpkin one I got at salvation army in one of my advent bags so I look forward to that one....

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your post, you do a lot of interesting things. I would not have tackled the suits that's difficult for sure especially the resizing, it would have been beyond my skills but then again I have not had that kind of opportunity either. Basic things I can do. I have hemmed many dress pants through the years.
    I was able to put by some apple sauce lately, and taking an idea from you, I have red grape seeds, like your strawberry seeds, drying on paper towels. I am hoping to start them in some pots in the spring. I enjoy my dash maker too. I was given a set of different ones as a gift but have not used them yet. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those waffle irons if you do up the batter it it a quick thing to pop the waffles in toaster. I was pretty scared I did not have skill level yet to tackle the suits but they are tended and worked out great I knew they give you some room on back seam of pants to give or take away. But really that is all I knew. The strawberry seeds are still doing great I have some peach seeds that is the inside of those pits in a pot trying to see if I could get anything but we have a half an apple with lunch sometimes I have been popping the seeds out into that pot so now have six apple trees started they grow fast....got groceries today the prices are way worse than last month so we get less for a whole lot more not good.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...