Monday, February 19, 2024

Monday Message

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. . .I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. . .Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Just do what you can. Sometimes I can get more and sometimes I can't. I try to at least get one non-perishable item when I get groceries to set aside. This has helped us so much when we have hard times.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/cheap-grocery-list.html - I saw this just lately. I feel she has worked hard to put these things together. I think she is fantastic.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/frugal-living-tips/frugally-fit - here is another of her posts.

My favorite recipe of hers is her scone mix - https://www.littlehouseliving.com/scone-mix-recipe.html

https://www.rd.com/list/being-frugal/ - frugal ideas.

I think we are all looking to save with the higher price of everything.

I still love the bread machine recipe for making so many things.

But I one day took some of the dough to make pizza...

We loved it. So now I take and divide that dough into three and freeze it, then I toss it on the counter in the morning in its bag and by supper it is ready to make the pizza.

Plus, if you don't have a bread machine, you can make it up by hand. After the first rise, divide and freeze or make other yummy things. The recipe was adapted from a no-knead recipe from long ago before bread machines were ever invented.

I did one in the machine and one by hand. They were identical.

But I encourage you to haunt your thrift stores and grab one. Plug it in at the store though. Set it on the dough setting and hit start. You will hear a whir whir noise then hit stop and unplug - it works.

Know how to make bread by hand but take advantage of these used machines. I toss in the ingredients and set on the dough setting and press start then I have an hour and a half to do housework before I need to shape it and put it in a pan and cover. Let rise thirty minutes, bake in a preheated oven for forty minutes and take it out on a wire rack. I rub butter on top and when it is cool, I slice (my knife of choice is an electric knife).

For that matter, make a list of what you are looking for and look for those things every time you go. I know that things are still able to be gotten. I have seen a dehydrator and a food saver vacuum sealer just last month and both had really good prices on them. I have also seen some bread machines lately.

Haunting these stores is a good way to find things that would cost too much for the budget otherwise.

Find used things that will help you be more frugal.

Tippy Longstockings says you will roll on the floor with happiness.

Missy says, remember your skill building - it is easy to forget, add it to you list.

https://www.cuttingcloth.com.au/post/finger-pin-cushions - cute frugal idea for beginning sewing.

Start small to learn the skills you want to learn. If you need incentive, go find out how much it costs to have something mended.

Missy would tell you it is absolutely shocking

Tippy Longstockings says if you know how, you too can make this comfy bed.

2 comments:

  1. I used to make my bread completely in the bread machine, despite those annoying paddle holes in the bottom. Now I take it out of the machine once it's knocked down but before final rise (usually 1:43 for my Sunbeam). I divide the 1.5 loaf in half, put in 2 separate pans to rise, then bake them the oven. I found that slices of the 1.5 single loaf were too big for my toaster. I'm really liking these "half loaves".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...