Monday, August 24, 2026

Monday Message

"Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

This week, I have still been reorganizing my storeroom which has fabric, yarn, my fiber that I spin, our games and puzzles, the dehydrator, empty jars, etc. I got that done then retweaked it. In my mind, I would love to put my sewing room in there but haven't figured out a way, so in the back of my brain I am working on it. Though it is all good where it is. Leave well enough alone, right? But still my brain works on it.

We have a break in the hot weather today and tomorrow. So I will need to get stuff ready for six days of heat. Seems that is the pattern for now.

I made this form of ice cream sandwiches...

Puddingwiches 

1 1/2 cup peanut butter DIVIDED

3 c. Cold milk DIVIDED - I used cold powdered milk (already mixed with water)

2 c. Cool whip DIVIDED

1 small package vanilla instant pudding

1 small package chocolate instant pudding

One and a half boxes graham crackers

Foil line two 9x13 pans

Mix one set of divided ingredients together with the instant vanilla pudding mix and spread in one pan.

Mix the rest of divided ingredients with chocolate instant pudding mix and spread in other pan.

Freeze

Then I cut mine to fit each one on the half of the graham cracker and the other to fit the other side, like in the picture. Or you could stack the slabs on top of each other and cut to fit half the graham cracker.

Either way or do all plain, all chocolate and all vanilla - suit yourself but they are yummy!

Having something cold on a hot day is sooooo nice.

Prices were up yet again! I do not know how families are doing it. I don't know how anyone is doing it. I don't know how we are doing it but yet we all push through, right?

Everything I see or read says they will continue to go up.

We had old apples left before I got groceries this time, so I made apple rings and put them in water with some lemon juice then into the dehydrator they went. These I will use in winter to put in oatmeal. I also put in sourdough discard on sheets to dry. When they are dry, I will put them through the blender and into a jar. This then can be used for starting a starter if I should lose mine some how and can be given as gifts for others who want to start sourdough. 

Also, I am picking tomatoes just as they start to turn to get them before bugs and critters get them. I will be slicing and drying those this year. So far I have almost picked a bushel.

How are your gardens doing? My tomatoes have never been this big! I would get one this big occasionally but most all of them are big. Maybe has to do with those flooding rains??

Our phlox are doing well and spreading and look fantastic this year!

I am still weaving when I can. It is coming along nicely.

https://extension.usu.edu/preserve-the-harvest/files/Food-Storage-Booklet.pdf - here is a helpful booklet on storage.

https://sarahscucinabella.com/2020/02/27/a-guide-to-food-storage-basics/

https://diyjoy.com/sewing-projects-diy-gift-ideas/ - school has probably started and soon you will turn your attention towards making gifts for the holidays. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsDzesoMcA - this gal is doing a great job teaching you how to make your clothing that you have now into patterns. She's very good teacher.

https://www.pinterest.com/rachris/homemade-gifts/ - lets make homemade gifts this year.

https://www.youtube.com/@RobynOnTheFarm - this gal makes all kinds of fabulous breads. In each, there is a tutorial she will guide you through and is very good.

I think it's time to start learning to make bread and she is a great place to start, you can even make biscuits.

Keep working at your storage to save money with prices continuing to go up.

I know everyone is busy with back to school for now, so I wanted to make this short and sweet so you can still feel inspired as you are collecting all those lists of supplies. When supplies go on sale, if you can, get some for someone you know who is struggling as a care package. I am sure it would be appreciated - these are hard times.

Missy says be kind, even it you meet someone grouchy - say a prayer for them and be kind. So many are having hard times.

Tippy Longstockings says work on those skills and find time for yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. HOLA BECKY: PARECE QUE LA CORRIENTE DEL NIÑO ESTA HACIENDO DESASTRE EN TODAS PARTES. VEO LAS NOTICIAS QUE HABLAN DEL EXCESIVO CALOR QUE HACE EN ALGUNOS PAISES, LAS TORRENCIALES LLUVIAS E INUNDACIONES. AQUI ESTA TERMINANDO EL INVIERNO QUE HA SIDO MUY FRIO CON MUCHAS HELADAS QUE QUEMARON MIS PLANTAS, UN DESASTRE, SE HABLA DE QUE EL NIÑO TRAERA FUERTES LLUVIAS Y HUMEDAD DURANTE LA PRIMAVERA Y EL VERANO, NO QUIERO NI PENSAE EN EL VERANO CON 35 O 38 CENTIGRADOS DE CALOR Y UNA ELEVADA HUMEDAD, DIOS NOS AYUDE. LA VIDA SE HA VUELTO TAN DIFICIL EN CUANTO A LA ECONOMIA,AQUI COMER TODOS LOS DIAS ES UN LUJO QUE POCOS SE PUEDEN DAR, AUMENTO DE PRECICOS SEMANALES, SERVICIO ELECTRICO, IMPUESTOS,ROPA Y CALZADO ECT. ES MUY DIFICIL PODER MANTENER UNA FAMILIA, PERO SEGUIMOS SOBREVIVIENDO COMO PODEMOS, LA IGLESIA DONDE NOS CONGREGAMOS NOS REGALAN ROPA Y CALZADO QUE TRAE ALGUNA HERMANA, NO ME AVERGUENZA RECIBIRLO PORQUE SE QUE VIENE DE PARTE DE DIOS. MIS BROCOLIS ESTAN CRECIENDO,TAMBIEN EL APIO Y LA LECHUGA LAS CEBOLLAS DE VERDEO TAMBIEN. ESPERO SEGUIR AGRANDANDO MI HUERTA, NO HAY DEMASIADO DINERO PARA GASTAR EN SEMILLAS,TRATO DE CULTIVARLAS DESDE LOS PROPIOS TOMATES,AJISES, PERO A VECES NO FUNCIONA, PÉRO NO ME DARE POR VENCIDA. PARECE QUE TU Y YO ESTAMOS EN EL MISMO CAMINO DE SUPERVIVENCIA, OREMOS LOS UNOS POR LOS OTROS. BENDICIONES Y ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...