"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)
We are still hot here, just waiting for cooler fall weather.
It is harvesting time here for sure. Last week was rhubarb - this week, tomatoes. Our neighbor gave us peaches from his trees. Ours had no peaches this year.
They aren't quite ripe but soon they will be. I will do jam with some of them for sure...yum!
I also worked on tomatoes.
The tomatoes refused to wait for cooler weather so today I got all the ripe ones sliced and in the dehydrator.
I also got my annual ear infections - both ears, boo :( Whatever is my allergy outside creates this for me - not a fan.
Happy to report though that the basement continues to stay dry even though we have had storms. That is a great thing in my book.
I have froze chopped green peppers and jalapeno peppers are in the freezer as well. How I do those is I pop off the stem end, wash and freeze. And when I need one, I take it out, cut it frozen, and this works for what I need. Plus, with all the recalls going on right now, I am happy to have my own safe ones. I always say poverty has its perks. Poverty has saved us from many a nasty sickness.
I plan to take the tomatoes I am drying and turning them into tomato powder - a very nice thing to have on hand.
We still have plenty of tomatoes and salsa and pizza sauce, so powder is what I plan for this year.
What are you harvesting right now?? Let us know in the comment section below.
I know everyone is getting ready for kids to head back to school...so you are busy for sure. Remember the thrift stores for clothing, backpacks, even school supplies and also winter gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDxj0zrGdf0 - this gal is very helpful on dehydrating. If you need information, go to her channel and just click on the purposeful pantry under the video, then hit videos, and there are so many helpful things.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/make-jam-jelly/jams-jellies-general-information/general-information-on-canning-jams-jellies-and-marmalades/ - this is a great place to start when you want to learn to make jams and jelly. I always think that learning to do jam is the best place to start your canning journey.
https://extension.umn.edu/cooking-home/food-preservation - here is a helpful site for preserving food.
If I can give you only one tip on canning it would be to follow sites that are teaching the right way to can, like the ones I've put in here. In some videos, people just doing willy-nilly things they say they have been doing without fail and some say they are canning rebels - do not follow these people!! You need to can safely and properly.
At best, it costs a lot in time and hard work and money to just throw it out the window, at worst, it makes your family sick or can cause death because of not following professionals. I say call your county extension service to get accurate up-to-date canning times and pressure.
I think keeping a journal of what you can is good idea too.
Ask family members if they have jars, if they are done canning, also put out the word you are looking for free canning jars. That has helped me in the past.
The prices of groceries are continuing to rise. Putting up your own food is a great way to save.
Winter will be here before you know it (and I will be complaining of the cold instead of the heat) but prepare for it while you can, get or grow produce cheaper.
Continue to haunt those thrift stores for needed items - look at sheets as well for fabric. Going to thrift stores is a huge savings compared to new prices. It isn't just groceries that are going up.
Missy says that getting things ahead for storage should not just be done when hard times are on you but in good times too when money is more - that is best time to stock for when hard times come. So don't wait - prepare all along the way!
Tippy Longstockings says forgo going out and use that money to put things in storage - you will be glad you did!







No comments:
Post a Comment