Monday, July 26, 2021

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

We need to build our skills so we can do things for ourselves and save money.

Staying home during the pandemic helped us learn so many things.

We learned we can learn skills we never thought about before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+cut+your+family%27s+hair&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS960US960&oq=how+to+cut+your+families&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i22i30l8.17564j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_mhTpYOuFAtj0tAbchaCYAg23 - Cutting your hair.

https://redtri.com/how-to-cut-hair-at-home/ - how to cut your family's hair

For those who homeschooled, you learned how to be their teacher and your child learned one on one.

We learned to work from home.

We learned Zoom and we learned how to go to church virtually.

We learned grocery pick-up was way better than wandering the store.

Sourdough (lots of people learned that)

https://www.youtube.com/c/AldermanfarmsNet/search?query=Sour%20dough%20starter - this is my favorite, she goes right through it all. She sells it at a farmer's market, so this is a great skill to have.

I got another mask made out of what I already had on hand. I am trying to be even more frugal because our house taxes go up two hundred dollars a month next year. That was very unexpected.

I am very frugal but will be even more so by studying how others do. I know it will have to come out of grocery funds, a good part of it anyway. These are the things we cannot anticipate and there is always something so preparing is all I can do and learn.

We have always given each other a haircut so we have that down.

I want to make more of my clothes from what fabric I have.

I have been learning a lot while making clothes for the sheep girls. I am almost done with the sheep dress.

So I am trying to build more knitting skills.

I have been fixing frugal meals.

Tending the garden - we are enjoying salad with lettuce that I grew in a pot by the front door.

Also, we have been eating zucchini.

My favorite way to fix it = I snatch them while they are young, wash them then I melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. I cut the zucchini into coins like you do for fried potatoes then put them in the butter and sprinkle garlic salt over all. Then I toss in the dehydrated onions and stir about every so often, like making the fried potatoes. When they start to brown, I sprinkle cheddar cheese that is shredded over all of it, I let it melt and then serve.

I have been organizing. I had one of those boxes that people get floss in. I took it and wound the floss I had and filled the box. I did it by hand since it was faster.

It seems that I have just been doing small jobs. I have a hairdresser cart I got at a yard sale a very long time ago. I moved the stuff which was holding my knitting machine things into it along with the plastic drawer that was housing my hand-knitting tools. I scrunched things around so they weren’t  wasting space which gave me two empty drawers so I put the machine knitting stuff in those two bottom drawers. Then I moved the cart into the stamp area by the old table I use as a desk. It is very handy since it rolls.

I pulled the drawers out to show them. I usually slide them in till I need them. On the side are a score board, an envelope board, and two fisker cutters. The jar holds the styluses that I use that go with the books behind the envelope board. On top are my watercolors and water color pencils. I have others in a drawer close at hand.

So that was a glimpse of my week. What did you folks do? Share below in the comment section.

Gus says he is quality control and takes his job seriously. He says stay safe, wear a mask and prepare like you wish you would have for the first part of the pandemic.

Missy says she is Gus's supervisor and makes sure we all wear our masks and wash our hands.  Her tip is if someone comes to the door, run and hide. That is how to social distance.

16 comments:

  1. I have cut all the hair for my family for 43 years. I wonder how much money we saved with my husband's hair and five children. Sadly we did not have success with ordering groceries. We got moldy bread and rotten produce or arrived for our order and they had not even shopped for it. We found that in our rea we needed to shop in the store. Your embroidery is always so lovely. Hello kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I wonder how much we saved on hair cuts too???? That is bad you can't get the fresher stuff makes you want to look at it before you leave I would not be happy with that at all I hope you told them so you got your money back ...

      Delete
  2. HOLA BECKY: ESTOY DE VUELTA¡¡¡¡¡ GRACIAS A DIOS, PUDIMOS ARREGLAR NUESTRA PC, SALIO BASTANTE CARO EL ARREGLO, PERO MIS HIJOS LA NECESITABAN PARA LAS TAREAS ESCOLARES, ME DOLIO TENER QUE PAGAR TANTO. QUE BUEN POST, COMO SIEMPRE, TUS IDEAS SON GENIALES Y DE MUCHA AYUDA. ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? HICE UNA PUBLCACION RECIENTEMENTE. POR YOUTUBE, SIGO UNA MUJER MUY SIMPATICA, TIENE VARIOS HIJOS, TIENE MUCHAS IDEAS EN ENLATADOS, COCINA, COSTURA, EL SITIO SE LLAMA: THREE RIVERS HOMESTEAD, CUANDO TENGAS ALGO DE TIEMPO, MIRALO. ME ALEGRA DE QUE PUEDA CONTACTARME NUEVAMENTE, ERES UNA HERMANA MUY APRECIADA PARA MI. DIOS TE BENDIGA Y CUIDATE DEL VIRUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your embroidered item and I am glad you got your computer up and running again

      Delete
  3. Becky I love your knitting with the sheep! Beautiful work. You made so many good points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your points, especially about grocery pickup. :) My husband & I are having groceries delivered. We love it so much. No more wandering stores. It is such a money saver & I can find things better quality items online.
    Your masks are beautiful. I bet you get lots of compliments on them.
    I love the sheep.
    I am so sorry your house taxes went up. Can you contact the assessor? Our county is telling people to call because with housing prices going through the roof a lot of homes are being assessed incorrectly. It seems unfair especially after the derecho. I would think that would have made your property value stable or go down. I have a feeling some people in your area are selling three times than what their house is worth to take advantage of those insane prices people are paying. It is affecting your property value.
    I love your cart. I am reorganizing my room right now. I love looking at your room for inspiration. We both have a lot of similar paper crafting items. Of all the YouTube videos, craft room blogs & Pinterest your storage ideas are my favorite style. :)
    DH cuts my hair. He doesn't really have hair so I don't have to cut his. :) My hair is waist length and easily maintained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yes he will check once again but everyone's are going up I am glad you like my stamping area

      Delete
  5. I also want to encourage you to challenge your new property tax assessment. $2400 per year increase is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is checking on it again has several times

      Delete
  6. Love Missy's expression! I also love your blog! Thank you for providing so much helpful info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she doesn't like her picture taken but I am sneaky

      Delete
  7. Great tips! I still cut my hubby's hair (I did all my boys while they were growing up also) and my hubby and I tag team it to cut mine. We have been getting lots of squash from our garden too. My favorite way to eat it is in my squash casserole. I recently shared the recipe on my blog and people seem to love it as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out the recipe thanks

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...