Monday, August 2, 2021

Monday Message

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)

I think this year has shown us that we have to be prepared for anything. The other day we had a tornado outbreak. There were fifteen tornadoes close to our area. There was a farm where the first one hit and being in the country they had no sirens and I am guessing they had a phone alert but this one totally destroyed everything. I don't know what their house looked like before but only part of the first floor was there. They had eight grandkids visiting at the time, that alone sends fear through us all. But they went to their basement and went under a pool table. They were all unharmed, thank goodness. We all should be getting geared up for our safety spot to make sure we all know the plan.

We only had a walnut tree break in half but we played lumberjack and got it cut and put in the burn pile.

I am feeling like storm damage is our new normal.

We had tons of rain. Though the sad thing is the driveway usually always has puddles, big puddles when it storms like that and part of the side yard has standing water, well there were no puddles and no standing water this time as we were in a drought and while the rain was good it still isn't enough.

The garden is looking rough from the weather this year but I press on.

As we watch the news, terrible catastrophic things are happening all over. We need to be prepared to be able to weather what comes our way. There is no way to be prepared for everything and most have no budget for that either so we have to do what we can do. Learn skills and put in some storage and stand ready to assist our neighbors.

https://homesteadingfamily.com/how-to-make-pickles/ - as we will soon be in the canning season I thought this might be helpful.

I know it has been hard to find canning items this year so remember you can still freeze and dehydrate as well.

Stock up on some basic items: salt, honey, sugar, dry beans, rice, flour, and other things like this and beef up your low areas.

I finished the sheep dress I was working on. She looks great with her dress. Now I am working on the next one so they all will be dressed. I have to say I am learning a lot of knitting skills.

I have been doing some organizing this week...

Missy says what?? Were you going to put something in this basket? I thought the rule was to fill the baskets...what better to put in here than me!

I decided to put my embroidery supplies in these containers all together rather than in several areas.

I decided to move my sock machine here...makes for more light and more elbow room.

Here I have a tatting toolbox and shuttles with a basket of books to read on top.

Since tatting was brought up here is thread I use for tatting and bobbin lace which is in the turquoise drawers.

So I have been working hard organizing.


Gus said we should plan to rest more and he is demonstrating just how to do that.


Both Gus and Missy say for you all to stay very safe, wear your masks and keep your paws clean.  And find time to rest.

8 comments:

  1. Glad everyone was okay after that tornado! I lived in Iowa as a child and I remember those sirens and time in the basement very well. Your sheep are so very adorable! Over here on the east coast we are kind of holding our breath because hurricane season is taking a big break which really could mean we are in for it when it gathers itself again. We are prepared but hope it just does not happen this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I hope you don't get any... I am making the clothes for the sheep now learning a lot as I go right now working on a cardigan just have the sleeves to go.

      Delete
  2. QUE DESASTRE TODO BECKY, EN TODOS LADOS PASAN COSAS TERRIBLES,PARA COLMO, LA VARIANTE DELTA HACE ESTRAGOS EN TODOS LADOS Y AQUI TAMBIEN, ESTA TODO MUY DIFICIL, LOS PRECIOS DE LOS ALIMENTOS SUBEN TODOS LOS DIAS, LA ROPA, EL CALZADO, NO SE QUE VAMOS A HACER, GASTAMOS POCO DINERO, PERO ASI IGUAL NO ALCANZA, ESTOY ALGO DEPRIMIDA, NO QUIERO TENER PENSAMIENTOS NEGATIVOS, PERO CON TODO LO QUE PASA A NUESTRO ALREDEDOR, HAY CIERTA INSEGURIDAD....... ME ENCANTAN TUS OVEJITAS, ESTOY HACIENDO UNA GUIRNALDA DE MUÑEQUITAS PARA LA HABITACIION DE MI HJA, PRONTO PUBLICARE EN MI BLOG. TE ENVIO UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA Y QUE DIOS TE GUARDE Y A LOS TUYOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I know it is hard yes it can get one down for sure. We need to keep pushing along I can't wait to see your pics of the wreath. Keep being as safe as you can. Maybe soon we will all get out of it.

      Delete
  3. You appear to have tons and tons of craft supplies. What do you do with all of your treasures after you have made them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gathered the things over years and years mostly from yard sales...i mainly make gifts from them. The sheep things I always wanted them in a basket with plenty of changes of clothes incase we ever get visitors again. I do lots of different things so have to have them organized for sure. My sister gave me the sock machine as a bday gift one year I always wanted one. I use to yard sale a lot and if I saw anything that fell into something I did or wanted to do is a bag of crochet thread for a quarter I would snatch it up so now as I am older and income is fixed I have what I need without going to the store and paying todays prices....i went to a yard sale when my daughter was home but other than that I usually don't go any longer to them I am thankful I thought ahead for sure.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you didn't suffer severe damage from the tornadoes. I feel for the family who lost their farm. I am so glad they were able to find safety.
    Those two sheep are the cutest things in the whole wide world.
    You know you are efficiently organized when you have a cat in the basket, lol.
    I love the way you store your tatting supplies. That is very inspiring. I was actually going through my tatting supplies earlier this morning before I saw your blog post. :) I don't have as many tatting treasures as you but I kept thinking I need to get a good organizing system for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I yard sales a lot mostly didn't purchase any thing more than a quarter and have been blessed by people getting out of one thing or another and have gotten gifts and learning the skills has helped me make my gifts for others. I am thankful for my past self for doing the hard thing of going to yard sales one I remember was just outside of town just a quick look I thought nothing I needed or wanted there but my friend was talking to them I thought well I will go look thru the books and there two big weaving books priced two for a quarter you know I got those so I also cross over in what I do crochet tatting and bobbin lace all use those threads what is funny I never ever have bought a bobbin for bobbin lace they were all gifted me for days and Christmas not from same person I think of them all when I use the bobbins. so yard sales where what made this all possible I think people would be surprised how many things came from yard sales and freecycle most of my tatting books and shuttles and thread came from a person on freecycle also oil paints from freecycle for my husband. I don't think yard sales are quite as good as they were back when I was going steadily to them but I only have been to a few in the last few years.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...