Monday, August 9, 2021

Monday Message

"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

Finally we got some rain last night so I didn't have to water the garden on the last day of July. It was a nice treat. And last but not least it is a bit cooler, enough so that I could bake a loaf of bread.

Check out the recipe for making your own bread HERE.

My sister shared a wonderful healthy recipe with me that I now will share with you...

Chocolate Nice Cream! - This is so like chocolate ice cream - yum!

You cut three good size bananas in less than half inch coins and freeze.

To make up, you pull out your bag of frozen bananas and put in your blender.

Add a half a cup of milk to start with, you can add more as you go to get the thickness you would like.

Add two tablespoons baking cocoa.

Blend and add milk as needed.

Oh this is soooo good.

I finally finished this pink dress for the last sheep so now everyone has clothes.

I finished a hat for winter...

So those are what I have been working on to build skills. I am making a cardigan sweater for the sheep to share.

I want to urge you to be getting things in. Remember what happened in January 2020. I knew this virus would not stay in China so I picked up what things I would need like batteries and lightbulbs, etc. I was going by Sam's Club and thought I would stop and get a big package of toilet paper and maybe another package of yeast. When I got in there only a few packages remained of toilet paper and not the big package, so I got one and went to the baking aisle to grab one more thing of yeast. When I got there...no yeast, no flour. I did pick up baking soda and powder. It was so unreal I thought I must be in another aisle, I literally turned circles. Here I had been teaching bread baking and all the supplies for it were gone. That was so strange.

So while I had some another person might not. So think what you will need and what you did need. I had no idea what to expect but I knew it was coming. I have that same feeling that this will get worse before it gets better. If it doesn't, it won't matter, I will still be prepared.

So, please, vaccinated or not, wear those masks and stay safe.

We had an unmasked visitor… Missy looked out the window and asked, “what kind of cat is that?!”

A woodchuck came a-calling.

Even Gus took a second look.

They both agreed he should be wearing a mask to stay safe and they want all of you to remember to wear your masks. Also, keep up your safety protocols. We are still in the thick of things.

Our granddaughter says she doesn't like wearing the masks. I told her that none of us do but we need to just like none of us like wearing pads but we still need too. Only when you don't wear a pad you will only die of embarrassment, whereas not wearing a mask you might just die.

We all have to do things we don't like at times, it is just the way life is. No one gets out of this life never cleaning the toilet, well, if they do they are lucky. We do the hard/no fun things then move on to the fun things.

Everyone be extra safe, I do not have a good feeling just like in the beginning.

10 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas USAAugust 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM

    Hi Becky! I never saw a woodchuck that wasn't a cartoon! Thanks for the picture. I had a squirrel come right up to the slider last week. He didn't even move when the dog ran over. They stared at each other for a bit and my doggy drooled!! Then the squirrel ran off and my doggy got all tough lol. Silly boy!

    We have a trip to Sam's in our near future as you confirmed what I was thinking... The quiet stocking up has begun.

    I make an occasional chocolate shake using that exact recipe you posted and I think it's better than most I can buy. Simple, delicious, and healthy. Yum!

    I've done a lot of embroidery this week and read a good book about Italy under Mussolini and then
    Hitler. Eternal and naturally I'm drawing a blank on the author. Good, but bittersweet, as many WW2 reads are.

    Tomatoes are going crazy and they're so good! I made a pasta salad with them and a friend gave me some cucumbers and zucchini from her garden. I baked the zucchini in slices coated in panko and parmesan. Also tasty!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum that sounds good too yum our zucchini have just exploded of late so getting a lot the garden has a real fall feel to it even tho it is hot. Never saw a wood chuck in person and was surprised at seeing it. Yes I just have a nagging feeling things might get worse....we still are limited to one package of toilet paper even this long time afterwards so yes we need to be steady at storage

      Delete
  2. I think you are right about this virus being with us for a lot longer than anybody anticipated and I appreciate your advice to keep our homes stocked. I plan to make pickles and relish this week with cucumbers from my garden. Thank you for your continued efforts of encouragement. They are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words...yes we must be steady at storage for sure. There are so many voices saying all different things it just is prudent to keep at it.

      Delete
  3. Becky, great post today, thank you for the choc recipe, it sounds great. Also agree on your comments about stocking up. I spent extra money last money getting the freezer and pantry in good shape. And last but not least, I also have never seen a wood chuck! Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work believe me I never did either it was quite the surprise...yes I can't stop having the feeling recognize it tho from the way I felt before it to the US.

      Delete
  4. Woodchuck is the cutest.
    The virus is here to stay. That is our new normal. She will keep mutating. Hopefully she will mutate herself into common cold symptoms but she is here forever now. Look at H1N1 it has been around forever. It has mutated to several different strains over the years. I had the original H1N1. I almost died from it. I take pandemic's seriously. I was very healthy when I got sick. Pandemic's don't care about your health.
    I am allergic to my mask. I have "mask face". I am grateful to all the doctor's & nurses who share their mask faces & how to treat it. Even though I am allergic to my mask I always wear my mask. I will not risk anyone's life for something I can treat, even if it's super painful.
    I agree about stocking up. I started also in January 2020. I was actually starting in December 2019. I knew it was going to be bad. I had to rebuild my pantry at the same time too. I had a natural disaster that wiped out my pantry. I literally had to rebuild a pantry during a pandemic. I managed to do it frugally. I am still in shock. People are starting to panic buy again and I am not feeling the shortages. I never really felt the shortages even rebuilding but I had to be super creative, lol. It is odd to see the crazy things that panic buyers think they need.
    My DH & I were pretty much in lock down by February by our choice. We were also remodeling our home at the time. We had the natural disaster damage we had to fix. We were at Menards when it was announced that the lock down was going into effect. That day nobody was in Menard's. There was like maybe a dozen customers. My DH & I had a huge load of items. We had a Washer & Dryer. We had a dishwasher, sinks plural, etc, etc, etc.... We walked out with three of those large flatbed carts when we checked out.
    Within fifteen minutes when the lock down was announced people started running in and panic buying water, toilet paper, rubbing alcohol, N95 masks & just crazy things. They were throwing things in their cart like it was that game Supermarket Sweep. My DH & I were getting a lot of attention because we had such a huge load. None of it was pandemic related items. I kid you not people were saying to their family members "Do we need a washer? Do we need a dryer? Do you think we need sinks? Do you think I need to get those plants she has on her cart?" Serious as can be. This is what my husband & I were listening too, lol. It was surreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy just like eight gallons of milk before a blizzard. I cannot wear the n95 masks they set off my asthma do you think the cloth masks would bother you? The surgical ones make my face itch at once when I put those on. Thank you for sharing you inspire me for sure.

      Delete
  5. HOLA BECKY: SE QUE EN TU PAIS, LA VARIANTE DELTA ESTA HACIENDO DE LAS SUYAS, AQUI TAMBIEN HAY MUCHOS CASOS, HAY MUCHA PREOCUPACION, LA GENTE ES IRRESPONSABLE, YA NO SE CUIDAN Y NO USAN BARBIJOS O MASCARAS, NO LES INTERESA, ES TERRIBLE TODO ESTO. GRACIAS A DIOS QUE ESTAMOS BIEN, NOS CUIDAMOS Y MUCHO, SALIMOS MUY POCO DE CASA. HICE UNAS MUÑECAS DE TRAPO, LAS PUBLIQUE EN MI BLOG, ESPERO QUE PUEDAS PASAR. SON ADORABLES TUS OVEJITAS. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what wonderful dolls you are so good at all you do thank you for sharing. Yes please stay safe

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...