Monday, August 16, 2021

Monday Message

"The counsel to have a year’s supply of basic food, clothing, and commodities was given fifty years ago and has been repeated many times since. Every father and mother are the family’s storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency … [and] God will sustain us through our trials." (James E. Faust)

I am starting to see prices going high, so purchases might have to be put on a no-spend time till they get better.

Having said that, we need to make do with what we have and what can be gotten frugally.

Keep haunting those sale flyers for things that can beef up your storage, go to thrift stores for items.

Work with what you have.

I have mentioned this before but I was able to get an almost new knitting machine at a yard sale.

I have a bond knitting machine I got as a gift and later found another one at Goodwill for six dollars which I put together and had learned it well. But this almost-new machine I struggled to learn. At that time, I was taking lessons and my teacher was very stern with me. She kept telling me I didn't need to write everything down but I said I needed to. I was starting with fibromyalgia and retaining info was hard but I did not know at the time that was happening.  

Back to her, she was mean but I needed the instruction. One day she was really mean and she got a call from someone that she argued with. The person on the phone wanted her to go to an auction house so she could price a knitting machine. She turned to me to ask if I could go with her, I said yes. So I drove her there. It was an auction house and they must have cleaned out a studio of sorts so she was looking at the knitting machine. They only wanted the furniture but they made them take everything, so they wanted to get rid of the things and just get the furniture.

I knew I had a hundred dollars that I could use so I told the guy I wanted all the yarn (it was all coned yarn). My teacher was still working with that machine so I went through stuff. I got fifty-two books on machine knitting, there was a plastic drawer thing with fat quarters (aka folded pieces of fabric) all sorted by color. It was a truck load. My husband sent a worker with our truck to come and get it. The man I dealt with at the auction gladly took a hundred dollars for everything I got. My teacher bought the machine she was looking at for seven hundred dollars and we got it in my car.

The worker took the truck load of stuff to our house and we went back to her shop. She was snarky all the way home, she said she did not know why I got all of that yarn since the only thing it would be good for was for a hand knitter. I turned to her and said I am a hand knitter, that stopped the snarky stuff.

I later went back and got the other two knitting machines for fifty dollars.

I tried to set up my mother-in-law with one but her husband was getting Alzheimer's and didn't want it around so it came back to me. Back then, the internet was just starting to be a thing and I was on a knitting list, so I traded one of the machines for a drum carder that I had wanted but couldn't find and a lady bought the other machine, so that money was used to purchase a wood burning cook stove.

So that was the yarn haul. Two cones of yarn still had their prices on them. If I only bought those two cones new from a store it would have cost more than what I paid for all of it.

Not long after I had put on Freecycle that I was looking for fabric and as it turned out a lady had boxes of fabric from her grandma. Our oldest daughter and I went in the truck to pick it all up. Those boxes of fabric filled the truck bed to the top. In the end, it helped the girl and I got free fabric.

So this was the great fabric haul.

This being said, I also got canning jars and lace trims, even scrapbooking supplies from Freecycle.

I tell you this to show you that you can get items for free. Once, I was putting it out there that I was looking for tatting stuff. A lady replied that she was getting out of it and I was able to get her stuff - books, thread, and a few shuttles. I was thankful for everything.

And now that I am older, I really appreciate having it. One reason is that the prices to purchase them new just aren't reasonable anymore and second, I don't have to go into a store to purchase them.

Freecycle is still a thing…so if you are looking for something it never hurts to try this way first and then haunt thrift stores.

https://www.pinterest.com/leilajh/sewing-old-new-clothing-make-over/ - this will give you ideas for old clothing.

Now is the time to be more frugal.

Also, it is time to learn new skills - https://ourinspiredroots.com/cooking-from-scratch-for-beginners/

I checked on canning supplies just to see what was there and all I found were empty shelves. So if you have produce you can freeze it...

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-freeze-fruits-and-vegetables/

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/186047/how-to-dehydrate-food-without-a-dehydrator-dehydrate-fruit-and-vegetables-in-oven/ - when I did this before I had a dehydrator, I folded a pot holder and put it in the door to prop it open just a tad.

This week I finished the cardigan for the sheep...



I learned a lot from knitting this little stuff.

My sister and I experimented with making these rolags using a drum carder, it was a success. These will be very fun to spin up.

Gus says stop the presses!

Gus said keep wearing those masks and washing your paws and socially distancing...which he is about to do in his box cave. He says we need everyone to stay alive and be a hero to others.

Missy says she is already socially distant. She, too, encourages everyone to wear masks. She knows some don't like to wear them but wearing masks and getting vaccinated is how we care for ourselves and others.

7 comments:

  1. Your sheep are just adorable! What are your plans for them? Are you going to sell, or just hang on to them yourself and enjoy your hard work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to have them in a basket with clothes for if we get out of pandemic for visitors kids to play with I am working on another dress when that is done I plan on doing the elephant she has and keep making clothes but I also have some scarves I want to make....

      Delete
  2. Snarky mean instructor's/teacher's are the worst. They do more harm than good. I went through that when I got my embroidery machine. I had the worst teacher's. They upset me so much I stayed away from my embroidery machine for the longest time. Those women were at a time I was emotionally vulnerable after a terrible loss. I still have my machine & have started using it again. When I got into electronic die cutting went through the same thing. I just got mad and had enough. I taught myself how to use my electronic cutter's and I became the expert.
    I love your haul stories. I always say the most beautiful homes were built on frugal finds.
    I love your wood burning stove. Those were workhorses.
    I love that I built my whole home frugally. I really love I built my art studio frugally. I agree with you that prices are just not reasonable. Everything old is new again but the older stuff was better made. I know the things I have bought frugally I seem to treasure more. I don't really like to go in stores anymore. I do still go to some because I have anxiety & PTSD so I need to get out of the home. I try to find small stores that are not heavily shopped. Luckily I live on the outskirts of town so this has been a godsend.
    I did see canning supplies recently. The smaller grocery stores seem to be getting them in. I know my stores that are smaller are delivering. You can call the manager and ask if they have canning supplies. I know my store would save them back for the delivery order. I have offered to pay a little extra because I know how short staffed the stores are and how stressed they are. I know specialty orders can be challenging for them.
    The sheep cardigan is so cute. I love how cute the sheep are. I am so happy you are sharing them with us. They just make me smile.
    Gus & Missy are very wise. I wish everyone would listen to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish so too. No deliveries for us we live too far away and money is tight now that we are old but pushing on with it. I agree with you on frugal finds. I don't haunt any places anymore but I am glad that at one time I did. I feel like we are starting over with this pandemic which is sad. Yes I have had to teach myself a lot as well. I saw a blog that said not to purchase canning lids that are cheap as these will not work safely. I am dehydrating what I get out of the garden as not really enough to can with the drought we are in. I still have lids as I stocked a bit ahead on them....but drying stuff this year...i feel like every day we are living in a disaster movie.

      Delete
  3. HOLA BECKY: AQUI TAMBIEN LOS PRECOS SUBEN Y MUCHO, ES INCREBLE COMO ESTA AUMENTANDO TODO, EL DINERO NO ALCANZA, NO SE DONDE TERMINARA TODO ESTO, POR LO QUE VEO, PASA EN MUCHOS LUGARES. TENEMOS QUE ACOSTUMBRARNOS A VVIR CON POCO, A NO GASTAR EN COSAS SIN IMPORTANCIA, HOY MAS QUE NUNCA, DEBEMOS APRENDER A HACER MUCHAS COSAS QUE NOS AHORREN DINERO, TRATO DE SER LO MAS FRUGAL POSIBLE, PERO LA INFLACION DE MI PAIS, LE GANA A MI BOLSILLO. TUS OVEJITAS SON ADORABLES, TENGO PROYECTOS NUEVOS, CUANDO LOS TERMINE LOS PUBLICARE EN MI BLOG, GRACIAS POR PASAR Y DEJAR TU AMABLE COMENTARIO. BENDICIONES Y CUIDATE MUCHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you do fantastic jobs on your things. Yes we all need to find more frugal ways it is a hard time for all. Be safe you are a great example to us all. Keep it up

      Delete
  4. ERES TAN AMABLE BECKY, ERES UNA MUJER DE PROVERBIO 31, BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...