Monday, August 23, 2021

Monday Message

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We find ourselves fighting a war against the ravages of COVID-19 and its variants, an unrelenting pandemic. We want to do all we can to limit the spread of these viruses. We know that protection from the diseases they cause can only be achieved by immunizing a very high percentage of the population.

To limit exposure to these viruses, we urge the use of face masks in public meetings whenever social distancing is not possible. To provide personal protection from such severe infections, we urge individuals to be vaccinated. Available vaccines have proven to be both safe and effective.

We can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders. Please know of our sincere love and great concern for all of God’s children.

The First Presidency

Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, Henry B. Eyring

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/first-presidency-message-covid-19-august-2021 

I thought I would lead with the info above as this is so important.

I feel like we are almost starting over with this pandemic. It is very easy to get complacent, but this isn't the time for complacency. It could mean your life or the lives of others.

I know we are getting very tired of it, but we need to stick to the path.

Life isn't always easy, we aren't owed for it to be either… we need to do our part, we need to do hard things sometimes and this pandemic isn't over yet and requires hard work.

Knowing what we have learned in this last year and a half, how can we make things better for this time?

Well I have been pondering this very thing...

I needed to have some change, so I moved some furniture around and organized the bookshelf in our bedroom (well, reorganized it) which is always hard, heavy work. I wanted to move the groups of books around so that they stayed in their groups but had the less often used books higher up and the more used lower down. I have a lot of books, I do love books!

I have some projects I put together as kits.

I plan to read more.

Knit more, plus learn new knitting skills.

I want to tat more and learn new techniques.

I want to learn more on dying fiber.

I want to spin more and learn more spinning techniques.

I want to weave more and learn more about weaving.

I want to sew more and learn more on pattern altering.

I want to play with watercolors.

I want to learn more on bobbin lace so I can make pretties like these that my sister gave me.

I want to learn more on the Toyota knitting machine. I recently watched this -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMdRHJ5aj4 She jumped right into the hard things and so I will stop being a chicken on that. 

I want to use the sock machine.

I want to make more little sweaters.

I want to do more embroidery, especially making more masks.

I want to study more on food storage.

These are a few of the things I am wanting to do. I figure I will keep learning as long as I am alive.

Soon the garden will be done and I will have more time.

I have been dehydrating tomatoes and some zucchini that got too big. I try to get them young but some hide very well.

I have mastered the tomato slicer. I was just about to give up but then I got it.

I will soon have to be saving seed from what I grew in the garden this year, especially since where I got my plants this year didn't grow theirs this time and they did not do as well as the seeds I started. I already saved the seed from the muskmelon we grew - yum! It was so good.  I drool every time I go out to see if the watermelon is ready....soon.

I am choosing to dehydrate most of my garden this year. My garden struggled so much with this drought we are in.

What things will you plan to do to get through this next leg of the pandemic?

Missy suggest naps when you need them.

Gus said more time with catnip and toys. Missy perked up to say she agrees.

We all say be safe - wear masks, wash your paws, stay socially distant and check on others.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sensible suggestions and encouraging people to be vaccinated. Your last sentence reminds us that we need to follow these guidelines for a long time, going forward. It really is a matter of life and death.
    You are the crafting queen!
    So many projects ahead! Give those kitties a pet for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the kittens say thank you too. Yes it really is a matter of life and death. I know people are tired of it we all are. I am sure people were tired of the depression, wars, etc but we must push thru, stopping halfway thru won't help anyone. I feel there is so much more ahead of us so yes we must all press on. The world is in commotion for sure. Be safe then be safer❤

      Delete
  2. Truly enjoy your blog, and love your two cats and their advice. Naps are very important indeed ;). We have done a bit of stocking up so that we can stay home. Here in our state, our numbers got quite high but appear to be going down again. The only good side of the high numbers is that we are hopefully getting closer to herd immunity. That terms has disappeared…wonder why? Here in Arizona, 1 million cases, and 4 million vaccinated, out of 7 m total, including kids,,,we should be close I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Be safe out there I am glad you have things stocked I feel there is more ahead of us then behind us.

      Delete
  3. Missy looks like she's mad at all the people who are misbehaving during this pandemic. There is nothing like a cat side eye to know you did something wrong, lol.
    You have me interested in bobbin lace. That is a technique I forgot all about it. I am definitely going to look that up today.
    I turn 50 this weekend. I am actually excited about it. This is a new decade and new chapter in my life. I know I want to mess up more. I have a type A personality and mistakes can be hard for me. The pandemic I kept making silly mistakes with my art, home decor and things like that because I had to be so on guard about Covid. I enjoyed making mistakes & learned a lot from them. My DH is an essential worker and it's been very stressful and people have been cruel and abusive during this time. It feels like it's been constant awareness & protecting ourselves from violence. I have made a lot of mistakes but perfect record for no mistakes during Covid. Knock on wood.
    I let my garden go to seed every year & then she pops up for me as volunteer plants for the next year. She never fails to surprise me so I will be doing that again this year. Last years seeds gave me a whole slew of wild strawberries & new hybrid herbs. I live in the Ozarks & my area is favorable to try those kind of experiments. I know most in the country can't do that.
    This year I know I will be harvesting and gardening till November even maybe January. Then I will preserve some seeds and let the others go wild.
    I know this pandemic is all about sacrifice. I don't mind sacrificing at all. Life is important to me and protecting life is something I value highly. I can't even kill a spider so I would never ever hurt a human because I am tired and over this pandemic. I could never forgive myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would kill me to hurt anyone too. Hospitals in our area are filling up too. We are in yet another heatwave. My garden here in Central Iowa is finishing up. I did see a little volunteer tomato plant I don't think it will have time to make any tomatoes but if it does we will eat them. I am still a very beginner on bobbin lace. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...