Monday, January 31, 2022

Monday Message

"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

I am on a list of knitters and twice now they were talking about grocery store shelves being empty from all over the world so it is just not a U.S. thing. I do not get a sense of panic yet, more like having to make adjustments to what they purchase.

That is what we need to do tighten the belt a bit. People have been doing this for a while now so we must be getting good at it.

Soups and bread go a long way and on cold days that would be a wonderful thing.

Breakfast for supper is frugal and yummy.

Casseroles

Puff pancake

Crepes

Shepherds pie is frugal

Pot pies

What are some frugal things you make??

Waste nothing. If you have a little veggie left do not toss it out, throw it in a container in the freezer and keep adding to it, when it gets full make a great soup. One lady was asking how long out of date cans were good for, they are good for a lot longer than it says. If they are bloated or rusting through, toss them but otherwise they're still good. We do not want to waste.


Cooking from scratch helps us tighten our belts. My favorite chocolate cake can be made with ingredients you already have on hand - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2020/04/monday-message_20.html scroll down for the recipe!

The store I picked up groceries at had no English muffins across the board so when that happens here's what to do...

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2014/10/english-muffin-bread.html - we make our own. There are a lot of things we can make for ourselves.

http://makedohomemaker.blogspot.com/search/label/Bare%20Essentials%20Living - to inspire you.

https://frugalfamilyhome.com/food/recipes/make-your-own-groceries-35-recipes-to-make-at-home-and-save - here is a fantastic site.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCABC6LEy2nOwYyeADkaq8cw - she has more to see here.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Frugalfamilyhome/videos - lots and lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zU-6ZO6Br4 - make your own taco seasoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQlUt28iyg8 - more seasonings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bDYm9-QtHw - I love watching this gal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MB4XKOWxY - she is very good.

I am moving right along weaving this scarf.

Missy says be content with what you have.

Gus says wear the N95 or Kn95 masks and be safe, we are not over this yet.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that chocolate cake looks tasty! I made a panof chocolate chip granola bars for my husband's lunches. They turned out delicious! I had to have a little taste,of course!

    Your post reminded me that I haven't made shepherds pie at all this winter and hubs loves it. I need to remember to put it on the list. I've done lots of soup. We're expecting a cold snap so I have potato cheese soup on the menu for Wednesday.

    I bought 2 cases of canned VegAll on clearance at Sam's in fall. I remember that I wasn't a fan of it as a kid, but bought it anyway. I'm glad I did because it's made a great addition to soups when I run out of fresh vegetables. I did try it plain just once and still don't care for it as it is lol!

    We're planning to cook a turkey on Saturday. Since it's supposed to be cold, that'll do triple duty. Feed us dinner, warm up the house, and give us lots of meals.

    I'm keeping my hands busy with embroidery, card making, and reorganizing the part of my craft room that just isn't working for me! I cut out some more mask fabric and N95 liners to go inside them. I bet I've made 50 of them!

    Well, snuggle those beautiful kitties for me and stay warm this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the scarf is finished so i warped it up again and started a green scarf

      Delete
  2. It looks wide for a scarf, but sure is beautiful!! Can't wait to see the green one. I love all things green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it just looks wide on loom it is finished and measures 7 1/2 inches of the most luxurious drapey fabric i love it the green one won't be the same but is pretty so far it looks like a home spun type fabric

      Delete
  3. Your kitties are so wise. They always know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful weaving! I love the colors.

    Most of what I make is frugal. Lots of beans around here (which works well, since two out of three of us are vegetarian!). Lots of vegetables, lots of good soups (a great use for leftovers!) and planning meals around what's on sale. I stock up on whatever's on sale that I can keep on handle, and I usually only save recipes that call for ingredients I know I can get regularly at a good price. When something new comes on sale, I look for how I can prepare it before bringing it home so that little goes to waste.

    No worries, Gus. N95 everywhere I go, and a KN95 for my kiddo. We're staying safe as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gus is very relieved to hear it and thanks for hints we all will benefit. Cold weather coming in again the two days were nice while we had them.

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky. Can you please tell us how to make that yummy looking icing on your chocolate cake? Sometimes you just need that additional topping when you want to celebrate - or even just to lift the mood when family are feeling down. Thank you. Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can tell you...my fav choc frosting....this does a 9x13 pan...6 tbsp softened butter...6 tbsp cocoa powder.....2 tbsp light corn syrup.....1 tsp vanilla....2 c. powdered sugar....2-4 tbsp milk start with the two i add till i get a nice spreadable consistency. i want to lick the bowl!!!

      Delete
  6. HOLA BECKY: ¿COMO TE ESTA TRATANDO ESA TERRIBLE TORMENTA DE HIELO Y NIEVE? ¿PASA POR DONDE VIVES? HE LEIDO LAS NOTICIAS DE TU PAIS Y ES MUY MALA, ESPERO QUE TODOS USTEDES ESTEN A SALVO. DIOS LOS PROTEJA DE TODO MAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you...if you put your finger in the very center of our country that is where we are. this bad storm is the weirdest thing it totally went around my state all we got from it is bad pain i am thankful tho that is all we got....usually storms go thru is weird weather for sure.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...