Monday, February 7, 2022

Monday Message

"Concerning clothing, we should anticipate future needs, such as extra work clothes and clothes that would supply warmth during winter months when there may be shortages or lack of heating fuel. Leather and bolts of cloth could be stored, particularly for families with younger children who will outgrow and perhaps outwear their present clothes." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I think anticipating future needs is a skill all by itself. It can go into every aspect of our lives. Since I live where it gets cold - very cold at times - I try to do this. When our kids were little, I would keep clothes in boxes that one would outgrow for the younger or get the next size up for the oldest. It meant always looking for coats, snow pants, boots, and winter gear at yard sales. I always would get the next year's school clothing.

I think having Nordic roots also probably means I do things that would keep one warm.

By my chair I have projects always going on. In this case a color-work hat. Look very close under the chair. That is a wooden turtle I use to hold the door open in the warmer months but if you look even closer, there is a cat toy mouse. I am guessing the cats thought the turtle needed a buddy.

I am taking the time to build my skills while staying inside away from the pandemic and now the cold as well brrrr.

Soups and breads are a fantastic to warm us up.

https://www.healthycanning.com/wp-content/uploads/Soup-and-Sauce-Mix.pdf - this is the one I use, cream of broccoli soup. It's fantastic.

https://www.healthycanning.com/soup-sauce-sos-mix - I saw this while getting the one above, I thought it interesting.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/07/monday-message.html - here is some helpful bread stuff.

This booklet has the best recipes ever, here's the link to them - https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2019/08/monday-message.html

I worked a little on my dish towel project. My plan is just to do this slowly and enjoy it.

I did a sock tube on the sock machine this week.


While you can do a whole sock on the sock machine, I still want to knit heels, toes and cuffs by hand, so here I am working one of the cuffs.

Here is the scarf I have been working on the table top loom. It looks darker because it is wet yet.

In the picture below you can see the fringe twister showing how I twist the fringe. In the scarf picture above you see the head supervisor looking on from under the weaving bench.

The other supervisor is looking on as well. She was inspecting my spinning project as I worked on it this week too.

That sums up what I have been working on this week. What fun things have you been working on? Let us know in the comments below.

Gus says he and Missy both agree that you all need to do something fun at this dark time of winter even if you are just twisting yarn. They also agree they hope you all will be very safe.

9 comments:

  1. HI BECKY: ESAS BUFANDAS SE VEN MUY CALENTITAS, CON EL CLIMA TAN FRIO QUE ESTA HACIENDO EN TU PAIS, DEBES ABRIGARTE CON ROPA EXTRA CUANDO SALES, ESTAN TEIENDO UN CLIMA MUY GELIDO, CASI ARTICO. AQUI NO ESTA HACIENDO MUCHO CALOR EN ESTOS DIAS, GRACIAS A DIOS, ENERO FUE MUY CALUROSO, PERO MUY CALUROSO, AHORA ESTAMOS EN UN DESCANSO, DIOS SABRA LO QUE NOS ESPERA MAÑANA. COMO PRONTO VOY A TENER UN NUEVO NIETO, ESTOY TRABAJAN DO A FULL EN MUCHOS PROYECTOS, AYER PUBLIQUE EN MI BLOG UNA MANTA QUE HICE AL CROCHET, ES COLORIDA Y SUPERABRIGADA, YA QUE NACERA A MEDIADOS DE ABRIL, SIENDO OTOÑO PARA NOSOTROS, TAMBIEN TEJI 1 PANTALONCITO DE LANA SUAVE Y EMPECE OTRO, HARE MAS COSAS Y LAS PUBLICARE EN SU MOMENTO. GRACIAS POR COMPARTIR CON NOSOTROS TUS PROYECTOS. ERES MUY CREATIVA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am so tired of the cold and the groundhog said longer winter yet. I love your blanket it is very pretty you do great work thanks for sharing your blog with us.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful scarves and socks! My mom used to love to crochet blankets in winter because she said that just making them warmed her up. I used to do rug hooking for the same reason. I could cover my legs while working on them. Never in summer, it was just too hot.

    We got a bit of snow last week and we enjoyed my husband having 3 days off. It's melting off fast now since our temp skyrocketed into the 50s. Quiet week.

    I got very little done with him home, tho we did get all our tax stuff together. We also roasted a turkey, which has been and will be delicious for awhile. Lots in the freezer.

    I'm in my kitchen zone this week so I'll be tackling little projects in there like drawers, pantry shelves and such. My spice cupboard is desperately in need of some organization! A good inventory, too. I've noticed some nearly empty bottles.

    Well Becky, love some extra on those kitties and make sure they are rewarded for keeping a good watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do they love the loves love your comments thank you

      Delete
  3. You are amazing! I have always appreciated so many things about you but I am just starting to realize the depth of your talents and gifts! I have my loom warped and ready, and I can’t wait to get started on placemats and napkins. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love you too have fun on your journeys

      Delete
  4. All the pets for Gus and Missy, they're so cute!!! Your scarf is beautiful; I love the bright spring colors.

    We've been thrown into emergency homeschooling; our state decided the schools no longer needed to take any COVID precautions and that just seemed beyond the pale to me. We said no thank you, so right now, my days are spent homeschooling my seven-year-old daughter. It's both lovely and a little crazy-making, but she's doing a GREAT job. Unfortunately, this means I'm not getting much else done, but this is the most important thing right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it is just crazy that states are doing that...i always say that if i had kids young again i eould do exactly what you are doing so good job yes that is the most important job we sure live in crazy times.

      Delete
  5. That quote about anticipating clothing needs resonates with me right now. I don't have children to buy for anymore, but things like undergarments do wear out. We've worn the same size for quite some time. Donna at GDonna.com has written about saving for the future by stocking up on things that will have to be replaced now at a lower price than they will cost in the future. First, I need to work on building up my food pantry a bit, then I'll be branching out.

    Thank you for your faithful inspiring Monday messages.

    Mrs. Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    Southern Missouri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...