Monday, February 21, 2022

Monday Message

"We have been taught that we should build our reserves over a period of time, that we should not go into debt to do so, that we should buy those things we use and use them on a rotation basis, that we should use common sense in preparing ourselves to be independent and self-reliant. There has never been extremism or fanaticism associated with these teachings." (Victor L. Brown)

The weeks seem to pass so quickly.

I have been continuing to organize here, a spring cleaning in the middle of winter perhaps to trick my brain into thinking it's spring even though it's terribly cold out.

Here are some pictures of the end of working in the sewing room. It was a bit of a job but now I have more elbow room.



I put the ironing station to the left of the sewing table. I hope it works for me. I have always had it to the right but I was working around the heat vent and trying to make more room. The other way made it so I could not use some of the drawers, so now no more of that.

I also organized the storeroom/closet. It houses canning equipment, dehydrators, some Christmas decorations and tubs of coned yarn and some fiber and fabric folded in nice neat twelve inch squares on the shelving...it really is a store room.  

Our house was built in 1879 with no closets. It was built in a town one mile away. That town was a thriving town and they thought the railroad would go there but it did not. It went a mile away and so people began moving their houses there and that is the town we live in. Our house was moved in 1910. They would cut trees and make them into logs. The houses were then raised up and placed on the logs. They would pull with teams of horses and as one log came out the back, they would run it around to the front. It is called the town that moved. It is still a town but not as big as it was back then.

They did a great job building it back then as it withstood the derecho and that was pretty bad.

So a long story to say no closets, so we use a small room.

It also did not have heating vents. We added those later, it had grates instead that let the heat rise through but I am here to say brrrrr, not much heat went up there till we added the vents.

I am still weaving on the green scarf.

I also fashioned a basket to fit onto the inkle loom. I wanted to be able to remove it when other warping configurations would need to be done so I used what I had on hand to make it so I could.

I also moved my living room around. It has been a full week.

There was a grocery pick-up in there too, a more messed up one there never was. Some has come in boxes but not all of it yet. The website was doing very weird things, kind of like playing whack-a-mole.

What things have you been up to this week where you live?

Gus is really interested in what goes on in your neck of the woods.

Missy says keep being very safe not time to let down your guard.

4 comments:

  1. HERMOSO ESE DIBUJO, QUE LINDO SERIA VIVIR ASI EN UNA CABAÑA, RODEADA DE ARBOLES, MUCHO VERDE, MUCHA TRANQUILIDAD, ES UNA QUIMERA, UN SUEÑO. OJALA PUDIERA MUDARME A UN LUGAR ASI, PERO MI REALIDAD ES OTRA, ESTAMOS RODEADOS DE IMPIOS MOLESTOS, MUCHO RUIDO, MUCHO TRANSITO. ME ENCANTAN TUS TRABAJOS DE BORDADO, SON MUY LINDOS, CREO QUE HAY UNA CARPETA QUE CUBRE TU MAQUINA DE COSER CON UN DISEÑO DE SARA KAY, ¿PUEDE SER? ME ENCANTA SARA, PIENSO HACER UNA MANTA O UN ADORNO PARA LA HABITACION DE MI HIJA CON ESE MOTIVO, VEREMOS, POR AHORA ESTOY TRABAJANDO EN LOS SOUVENBIRS DEL BABY SHOWER DE MI PROXIMO NIETO, ESTOY FELIZ DE VOLVER A SER ABUELA, ¿NO SON HERMOSOS LOS NIETOS BECKY? BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my husband drew the picture of our house from long years ago it is different now that front porch is gone and the back porch is gone now as well we have a side porch that is open and is like that front porch only all across. The big window is now a big window on one side and door on the other the road out front does have a lot of traffic our yard is just under an acre most is in the back we built a garage attached that back porch is gone we built an addition on with the garage and when I say we I mean my husband and I and a few helpers it was an awful lot of work. We also built a basement under the addition because the old part of the house did not have a real basement and we get a lot of tornadoes and bad storms here so a basement helps us be safe. The beautiful trees you see were mostly taken out by that derecho but never the less we do really love this little town of 1200 in rural Iowa surrounded by farmland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the story of your home. Thank you for sharing it. I have always loved the photo's of your home. I could tell it had a lot of history. I live in an original 1940's Craftsman. I try to keep her in her original form. Before she was built the original home that was on my property was like yours.
    Tell me about messed up grocery orders. It is stressful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love craftsman homes in their original state so great you are doing that. Yes groceries getting trickier to do all the time. There is more to the house the foundation is logs that have since petrified hard to believe it made it thru that direct hit of the derecho.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...