Monday, May 30, 2022

Monday Message

"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry)

I think we all see that things are a bit more difficult. We need to be steadily moving forward in stocking up a little here and there as we go and as we can. I think with prices of everything going up we will have to be more frugal in our purchases. Every little thing we can do will add up and bless our families.

Don't forget to try and learn those skills. Oh how I wish I had the skills that I have now back when we got married forty-eight years ago on June 15th. I knew how to make cookies and banana bread and French toast. That is all. I did not even know how to wash clothes. I was on the folding clothes end of laundry. I had a little sewing in school. I was a nurses aid...that was all I had in my collection of skills.  I had a desire to learn and still desire to learn. As I am older I am thankful to have learned skills that help me now in these days of my life. Of course, all my experiences in life have added to all these skills.

So add to your life experiences by learning skills that will bless your family the most.

I think for me the best skill and at the top of my list was learning to bake bread. While I am pretty good at it by now, there is more I want to learn on it. Once I knew how to make bread, I wanted to store all it takes flours, seeds and nuts, dried fruit. I wanted to make French bread and bread sticks. So I store things to make any kind of bread l would want. I want to perfect making seed bread, hamburger buns, sandwich loaf, sourdough...so much bread, so little time. So it is something I want to build on. Over the years I have been collecting bread books off of freereadfeed where you can find free books.


After breadmaking, I feel like sewing is the next important skill to learn. While this was made off a ready-made shirt I want to be able to perfect working from patterns as well. I remember a gal in twelfth grade making a shirt for her boyfriend, I was always watching what she was doing thinking I someday want to be able to do that. So I will keep trying to build my sewing skills. 

Another reason I would put sewing after breadmaking next is because mending is needing to be done all the time. I remember one time I was in the area of an Amish grocery store. The guy ahead of me in line had his coveralls on, he was buying the hugest bag of potatoes I ever saw. As we were waiting in line I noticed those coveralls were mended like he had tore them on a fence. His wife had mended with the tiniest stitches - what a skill she had developed!

Now is the time to learn this skill. A time is coming that we need to be more frugal then ever before. So be working on these areas and more.

Knitting and crocheting to make mittens and hats and scarves. Where I live it gets so very cold in the winter so these are a must.

Making sweaters as well. Here is the progress of the test knit sweater I am working on. I had to move to a bigger bag to house it. The bag was made by my sister. Look closely she wove the fabric too.

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/ - we need to learn cooking from scratch to be able to stretch our money. So many have no idea that you don't have to purchase ready-made and that you can do the same thing from basic ingredients for a lot less and as an extra bonus there's no chemicals.

https://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/ - I put this site in a lot but it is worth repeating. Take a popular box mix - what is inside is a small package of seasonings. Do you have spices in your kitchen?? Sure you do. The other package is pasta, usually one I would not use for the dish. Is it a one pound package of pasta? No it is not it isn't even two cups. What else is in this box?  Look again. NOTHING at all, you still have to purchase the meat. You still have to cook that meat. While the meat is cooking you can measure the spices and pasta. Food for thought...you are paying for someone else to measure the spices and pasta to make a meal that probably is not enough for your family, plus you still have to fix the sides.

I also see those boxes on TV that you get that have a meal to make in them and you see the gal eating it, yum she says. Well while they show you the fresh looking veggies and meat cooking...you are purchasing a box with a high price and you still have to wash and chop the veggies, cut and cook the meat and veggies. So while they look happy and say yum, I would love a cost breakdown. When I see those commercials I always say but you still have to cook it.

https://extension.usu.edu/sanpete/files/Soup_or_Sauce_SOS_Mix.pdf - this one I run often too. Make your own cream of soup. Canned soup has gone way up in price too. I once timed making a can of soup then wrote it down then I made this same soup from here, I think it was broccoli cheese, so was the can. It took the same amount of time and it was better then its canned relative.

I like these for using but also for showing how much cheaper it is to do yourself.

https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/frugal-food-and-grocery-shopping-101/ - helpful info.

https://frozenpennies.com/65-tips-frugal-people-use-to-save-on-groceries/ - more tips here.

https://childhood101.com/frugal-shopping-tips/ - more tips.

The more we can do ourselves the more we save.

I have the dish towels going on the loom, another skill I am trying to build.

https://thepeacefulmom.com/how-to-make-a-menu/ - here is a site that is so very useful. I like the idea of putting the sheet in the page protector and using a dry erase to put the meals on.

I then think you could make a list of your recipes  like...

chili

foil dinners

tacos

sloppy joe's

Not the ingredients, just titles. This will serve as your meals at a glance and give you inspiration as you write in dry erase on that page protector.

You can put in a pencil pouch with pen and a dry erase pen.

You should have plain paper in there for building a grocery list.

Start a small binder with these things.

Sometimes you just need to find a spot of sun and take a nap. 

Missy says just do what you can...work on your skill building as it is better to learn before harder times come.

Hopefully this Memorial Day you can take a moment today to remember those who gave their all.

18 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the homemade hamburger helper! And you are an amazing bread/rolls maker! Great post, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the stroganoff box mix it is no way near what it used to be

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the freeread link. I picked up several books this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that site it has saved tons of money as books I have gotten cost money now I am glad you found some you like. It is like having your own personal library.

      Delete
  3. Debby in Kansas USAMay 31, 2022 at 5:52 PM

    There's those gorgeous kitties!! I didn't realize I never posted last week. I wanted to say, Becky that I loved that link you posted about the woman that redesigned all those thrift store clothes. Of course, she was so pretty that she would look good in a paper bag!! But I loved seeing the beautiful things she did. It gave me ideas! While I'm a fair seamstress, I still feel safer experimenting with less expensive or ugly clothes!!

    Grocery prices are crazy. We've already voted in our home to avoid all oven use this summer to keep the electric bill down. Cold dinners with a sprinkle of Crockpot! I scoured my oven last week in hopes that it's sparkling cleanness would take away any cooking temptation!!

    Back to groceries... double check your receipts! I was overcharged nearly $8 over the weekend!!
    Good week to all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight dollars is a lot for sure good thing you checked

      Delete
  4. QUE BUENA PUBLICACION BECKY, COMO SIEMPRE, COMO CADA SEMANA, SIEMPRE DANDO CONSEJOS UTILES. APRENDI A TEJER A LOS 12 AÑOS, MI TIA Y MI ABUELA MATERNA ME ENSEÑARON A TEJER CON 2 AHUJAS Y AL CROCHET, ELLAS SIEMPRE ME DECIAN: CUANDO TE CASES Y TENGAS HIJOS, TE VA A HACER MUY UTIL, Y ASI FUE, HOY TENGO 62 AÑOS Y SIGO TEJIENDO PARA TODOS EN LA FAMILIA, TAMBIEN COSO ROPA Y TRATO DE REUTILIZARLA, ES MUY IMPORTANTE EN ESTOS TIEMPOS TAN DIFICILES ECONOMICAMENTE QUE APRENDAMOS A SER MAS FRUGAL EN NUESTRO ESTILO DE VIDA. HE PUBLICADO EN MI BLOG, SI GUSTAS PASAR, ERES BIENVENIDA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved seeing your blog I love what you did with sweater vest, and all this fun cakes yum. You are a great example of making do I am proud of you thanks for sharing

      Delete
  5. Your bread looks wonderful! I saw a youtuber make some white bread from scratch and each loaf look like it weighed 10 pounds! Made my tummy hurt just looking at it. Do take care and Gus and Missy happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread is wonderful the recipe is in that turquoise booklet I posted on here a lot gus and Missy say they are happy to be of service.

      Delete
  6. I just LOVE your Monday Messages but I especially love the links to different websites you list. You make it so much easier to find these ideas by listing those links. And I have developed some really great websites that I refer back to just from you linking them. So thank you so much for listing them so we can visit. Not sure where you find them all, but I won't complain!! Am sure getting into this self-sufficiency. Sure keeps me sane in this unsane world......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of researching thank you I am glad I am finding ones you enjoy keep on working on your storage

      Delete
  7. I just LOVE your Monday messages and I especially love all the links you post! I save them and refer back to them often. I cannot seem to find the places you do so you sending them for us is wonderful. I love them all. Thank you so much for the time you spend posting them for us. I am trying to learn more skills. At age 74 I have lived a full wonderful life but still love to learn. The internet has opened a whole new world for me and I utilize it to my advantage learning something new everyday. That is what life is all about. Learn, learn, learn.!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of research I am glad you like the links I too love learning. Thank you

      Delete
  8. Hi Becky ~ I, too, so look forward to your Monday posts. The pictures of your bread make me positively drool. I have a question. How do you keep your homemade bread from drying out? We are a family of 2 now, just my husband and myself and we can't seem to eat a loaf of bread fast enough. It seems to begin drying out within a day or two. I've stopped making bread for just that reason, tho' with shortages on the horizon, I'm gearing up again but I don't want to be wasteful either. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slice it with electric knife about thirty minutes after I take out of the oven. I slice the entire loaf at once this helps a lot as it dries it is harder to slice but there is just two of us here as well if I don't have like French toast planned and it won't be used fast after slicing it I freeze half of it and keep out half the other option is to make two small loaves slice and freeze one loaf or one small loaf and a small pan of cinnamon rolls or reg rolls or garlic knots or bread sticks or a small baguette if my plans change and it is getting dry croutons. Hope that helps ..in the summer it molds fast so I freeze more in the summer.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your advice with us. Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Becky. After I posted that I thought, "Duh!" But your tip about slicing soon after baking? I didn't know that. So I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...