Monday, July 11, 2022

Monday Message

"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

Really it is easier than one would think. If your storage was in and you were making chicken and rice casserole and it called for one can of chicken, one can cream of mushroom soup and rice, you'd use those items and then on your grocery list you would write each of them down. When you come home from the store, just stick those items at the back of the shelf.

It is kind of like bookkeeping.

If we make it a practice, it will work great. If you are building a storage, get two of those items. It will add up. Remember, use the oldest first, that will keep it rotated. I don't care who you are, cans just go bad sometimes. I have gotten cans that are years old and one goes bad. I have gotten brand new cans and one goes bad...nothing you can do.

In weaving, as you get ready to measure your warp, you have to take into account loom waste. It makes a frugal person shudder to have any waste but in weaving there is some waste because you cannot weave all the way to the end. You just have to accept it as part of weaving...do you decide not to weave because of it? No, it is part of the plan. Now when the project is done and cut off the loom, you can tie the next warp onto the waste if you are doing another of that project, or you could use it to tie off warp threads or find another project to use the waste in.

So I think if you choose not to get any storage because it might go bad, that would not be helpful to your family if you had a hardship come. For example, our ignition thingy went out in our oven, we have the part ordered and is on the way. We will install it to cut the cost but this was an unexpected expense. We will take it from the grocery budget as we have things in storage. 

This is why we have storage, to help even out those hard time things. Also having alternative ways to fix food in this case is helpful as well, like a crockpot or two. A microwave, a toaster oven, that sort of thing.  

When we moved here with our little girls so very many years ago, we had no stove and no refrigerator in the house that was useable. We had a freezer, a crockpot with a base that was like a small griddle, a microwave and a waffle iron. Was it more challenging? Yes, it was. Think of what one needs. Just take eggs for example, usually you need two. I would have to freeze the rest. Milk, we used smaller containers, again freezing the milk. Leftovers can be frozen. This was no short time without a refrigerator and stove. We came when it was hot. We had fourteen dollars, two kids and a cat. We had storage, family close by. I am a huge one for moving your storage with you since we always needed it when we got where we moved to. 

This was a really hard move. We moved from the east coast back to Iowa. This house was the only thing to rent, later we bought it. The house was targeted for demolition so it was in horrible condition.  Luckily the items in the freezer stayed frozen. It was hard at that time but we used our storage and cooked on those items I listed. We made French toast in the waffle iron and it became a favorite. We call it eggy waffle and it's very good. 

We made do. It was summer, so soon my husband got some illustrating jobs and we were able to get either a used stove or a used refrigerator for a hundred dollars. My preference was a stove. So we borrowed a truck from my sister-in-law and we were going to pick it up but before we left I wanted to check the free little paper to see if any of the yard sales listed had a better price. I looked through it - no stoves but one had two used refrigerators for fifteen dollars. So we went there and got one of the refrigerators and went and got the stove, so that indeed was a red letter day.

As time went on I found an electric frying pan at a yard sale. I picked it up thinking I sure could have used that during that time. I still have it as well. One other time a similar part went out in the oven we had. As I was getting ready to stick in an angel food cake I knew it went out right away since I always preheat the oven. I remembered reading somewhere that you could bake an angel food cake in an electric skillet if it was tall enough so I thought I would try. Yes, it is a tall electric skillet and yes, it cooked that cake.

These show that life doesn't always go smoothly.  Things happen...they always happen. My husband's mom always said if you got a dollar, something would always happened that would take two.

So having storage is so important for me to have. It has always gotten us through the rough times.

The part for our oven will be here on Tuesday where we will make the repair ourselves. We have watched how to do it on YouTube.

This week has been a very busy week here.

Gus eats too fast so this trick of using a muffin tin was given to us by our daughter. So I got out an extra mini muffin tin and they did not mind the change in containers, it has slowed him a little which helps.

It is that dreaded time of the year...raspberry picking time, hoping it soon is over. Usually it is done by the fourth of July but it may go a bit longer this year. I have made two batches of raspberry jam. The rest I have frozen and will make more jam on a cooler day in the fall.

The Easter Lilies were so pretty this year.

Even dandelions look pretty this year. We haven't had a lot of them, I wonder if because we have now been dry for so long...

It's so dry, I have had to start watering the garden. I had been waiting longer between watering but in this heat I have had to do more often. I'm trying not to raise the water bill too much. I water just the plants and not the spaces that I left for the vining things. I went to toss in some dill seed and oh my it was like digging a brick plus deep cracks.  The plants look good though.

This is the green bean seed I saved from last year. This year I thought having them grow up the porch would look pretty and easier to pick so I throw out the cat's water on it every day when I give them fresh water. Trying to conserve the water, I also water the salad pot on the porch and a geranium. Also, some tomatoes by the porch. They are a cherry type. I saved the seed from last year too. I squished the guts out of a few onto a paper napkin and let them dry. Then when the time comes to plant, I just rip off a spot of napkin with seeds on and plant it. I have done this a couple years now it is kind of like seed tape.

By the time you read this post raspberry picking will be well over and I will have a big smile to be done.

July first started the Tour De Fleece which I just kind of do more spinning at that time when I can. Other spinners join together and spin in teams. It is to go at same time as Tour De France.

At the time I'm writing this, they set the carnival up across the street for the Fourth of July.

Missy says keep working on building those skills.

Gus says I am not fast enough to have gotten the cutest pic with crossed paws but he says keep working at the storage and growing things, even if you hate picking raspberries.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for the time and effort you spend. A friend of mine has a dog that eats too quickly. She put large rounded rocks in his bowl along with his dry food so he has to eat around the rocks and it slows him down. She said that she had to do that with feeding her horses years ago ;). Might help you with your fast eater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic idea I have also had to raise the food up I will try the rock thing next if I have problems so far it is working. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I have fond memories of being a child in Iowa and standing by the long of row of raspberry bushes in our back yard and just stuffing ourselves with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fond memory of our grandkids doing that here as well.

      Delete
  3. HOLA BECKI: SIEMPRE TRAES IDEAS QUE SON MUY UTILES, GRACIAS POR COMPARTIRLAS CON LOS DEMAS. PARECE QUE HACE MUCHO CALOR EN EL PAIS DEL NORTE, AQUI ESTAMOS EN INVIERNO Y AMO ESTA ESTACION, APROVECHO PARA TEJER O BORDAR CERCA DE MI ESTUFA A LEÑA, ES TAN GRATIFICANTE. ESTAMOS ANTE UNA OLA DE AUMENTOPS IMPRESIONANTE AQUI DONDE VIVIMOS, LA GENTE ENTRA EN UNA RESECION YA QUE ES IMPOSIBLE COMPRAR COSAS, SOLO NOS ABASTECEMOS DE ALIMENTOS, QUE AUMENTAN TODAS LAS SEMANAS, TENGO HIJOS QUE CONCURREN A LA ESCUELA Y LOS PRECIOS DE LOS UTILES DAN ESPANTO DE LO CARO QUE ESTAN, ME SIENTO ESTAFADA, ME SIENTO ROBADA EN MIS PROPIAS NARICES Y AL GOBIERNO, NO LE IMPORTA NI MEDIO DE LA SITUACION, TOTAL LOS POLITICOS QUE TENEMOS ESTAN LLENOS DE DINERO CORRUPTO. QUE DIOS NOS AYUDE, ¿QUIERES PASAR POR MI BLOG? ¿O PASAS Y NO DEJAS NINGUN COMENTARIO PORQUE NO TIENES TIEMPO? ME GUSTARIA SABER. BENDICIONES Y CUIDATE DE LOS GOLPES DE CALOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes times will even get harder I feel. We will all have to be ever more frugal I am afraid. I love going to your site I always leave a comment but I don't always know when you put up a new one until you say it here. I wish things were better for all of us.

      Delete
  4. your beans and flowers look lovely Becky its amazing things are growing so well with all the heat...thank your for your story it seems like we all had some starts without a lot of things....life sure has changed for a lot of people now so its good to get any ideas to help people cope...Ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we all need to share I am afraid it will get much worse for a while

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on finishing raspberry picking. I love your idea of squishing tomatoes onto a paper towel and, when dry, planting seeds with the paper! No stress ;). That’s a good tip on slowing down a too-fast eater👍🏻 Lord bless you and your 🐈‍⬛ kitties.
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments I am sooooo glad raspberry picking is over with. I will probably do another batch of jam later in the fall.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...