Monday, July 18, 2022

Monday Message

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)

As I was just out weeding in the garden I thought physically there is no way I could grow enough to live on for a year. That is why it is important to store extra. Does this mean why try to grow? Nope, as it benefits us the money I would have spent on produce can now be spent on things I cannot grow. It is a frugal thing even though I personally do not like it, I still very much appreciate having the fresh produce. It is also exercise though I like the treadmill better. It all goes into assisting us and helping our budget.

I usually cannot grow cucumbers very well but for some reason they are growing this year. I kept looking at the little ones from the flowers on top and thought well, I guess it is too early for them yet, but today in there weeding I found all these goodies. There must be a parable in there somewhere.

We have been having such hot weather that the weeds seem to be running amuck. Japanese Beatles have found their way here, so many on the peach tree. I was dusting it with seven dust when I noticed about five peaches. I thought there would be none this year because we had a very late freeze, not frost but a freeze.

Now to distract Neanderthal while I get them when the time comes to pick them. Who is Neanderthal?  Well he is really a chipmunk but bigger than all I ever see and he has the shaggiest of coat, much like a caveman. He lives out front by the peach tree. I was hand watering my little bleeding heart, trying to keep it alive last year and I saw him by my bleeding heart and watched him. He looked up and made his arms going up and down like (  ) going from top to bottom following the lines of the parenthesis, over and over. I thought, well, we are in dry conditions and he has seen me come out and water this plant - I could only think he was saying oh fat one, come bring water...the little peach nabber...that year he kept setting off the door sensor as he would go into the tree and nab a peach over and over again.

I have been doing a bit of spinning each day.


Thankfully raspberry picking season is over, I am so glad to not get poked and scratched and eaten by bugs.

I did make two batches of jam and froze a lot more if I would like to make more jam in the future when it is cooler.

Remember, a couple of years ago I suggested to put together a binder of food storage info and go through your recipe, file finding things that you could make that if for some reason we had no refrigeration...


I continue to urge you to do this and to store the foods required to make the recipes.

Like if you make chicken and rice casserole. If you don't can chicken, then buy canned chicken from the store. Put it in your storage with rice and canned soup or whatever else your recipe has in it that can be shelf stable. I store powdered milk that opens up to being able to make things with milk in it.

I know it sounds like yucky recipes would be only shelf stable, so I took a pic of the table of contents of this binder.







You can see they are a lot of great tasting meals. Do I have more? Yes, I do. In other binders I have more that could be included in this one but it would get a lot heavier.

So again I say go through your favorite recipes and find the ones that could be made of all shelf stable ingredients that with just a bit of switching ingredients could still be made - like powdered milk for milk in the gallon or chicken for canned chicken.

You will notice beef recipes in mine, that is because I can meat so I can add those to my binder easily.

There are some who have gotten together to contribute shelf stable recipes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjsa4pF5UI&t=2s - here is one, I like what she is showing under it, click show more and you will see the recipe but under that you will see others in the shelf stable collaboration.

Missy says keep working on your skills and your storage, both are very important.

Gus says keep being safe, the virus is not over yet and looks to be increasing a bit.

11 comments:

  1. The squirrels strip our plum tree every year. If we go near it they run toward us and hiss. They have eaten a lot of our green tomatoes and a dozen peppers, too. It is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana it's odd where I am in Ohio we are not seeing very many squirrels this year. Mine use to love my apple tree they left plenty for us but it was cute seeing them "squirrel away apples" in the nooks of the tree lol. The birds ate what few cherries came on our cherry tree this year.. last year we had a abundance this year hardly any. Anna In Ohio

      Delete
    2. Oh I have never seen that Lana that would freak me out they love your good food.

      Delete
    3. Anna sounds like your cherry tree is like our peach tree this year. Ours keep planting those walnuts they think they will eat in the winter but I think they never find them again by all the walnut trees they have planted and they grow so fast. Faster than I can cut them lots came up in the last two weeks taller than me I hate it I never wanted to be a lumber jack

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh I love your little Neanderthal. That is so cute. I adore chipmunks. They have the best personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those binders I keep recipes in, it is a good idea to be thinking what could I substitute in a recipe. I "Can" chicken but need Cream of Chicken, yes I've seen the substitute recipes for it but don't think it would taste as good as that handy can of soup. I buy or have been gifted powdered milk and we use it all the time a friend who works for a company similar to Meals on Wheels when she has boxes of meals that people didn't want weren't home etc she brings them to us as she knows if we can't use them we can find others who do.. anyways most of the time they have mylar sealed powdered milk in them which I have put back for emergency preps though I still buy and store you can never have enough milk for recipes. Anna In Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sis recipe is the best I have tried for being a good soup substitute. That is great that the stuff is not wasted I use powdered milk for everything. I just used a pint of chicken I canned to make chicken salad for sandwiches for supper, it is so hot heat index 98....

      Delete
  4. HOLA BECKY: YO TAMBIEN USO LECHE EN POLVO, ES MUY PRACTICA Y LA USO PARA TODO. PARECE QUE HACE MUCHO CALOR DONDE VIVES, SE LO QUE SE SIENTE, AQUI EN BUENOS AIRES DURANTE 4 MESES, SUFRIMOS UN CALOR DE CASI 40 C, UN HORNO ES LA CIUDAD Y TODO LO QUE TOQUES SE PONE CALIENTE, AHHH HORRIBLE. ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? HICE UNA PUBLICACION RECIENTEMENTE. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you did I like the table great job. Yes it is hot and no rain but in the south it is so much worse makes me wonder what winter will do

      Delete
  5. In a vintage Woman's Day magazine a 'neighbor' suggested to other readers to start a few shoe boxes of shelf stable meals that could be used to tide one over during the fifth week of a month when funds might be low or gone on a once a month budget. Well here we are and and now we have those fifth week months where things can get a little thin looking as we wait for the next check. Her idea was to put all the components of a meal into a shoe box and keep a week's worth on her shelf along with a recipe card tucked inside. It's a good idea. Someone else has modernized it and calls them bag dinners. I think you shared her link before here. I've done as you do and have a listing in the front of my recipe binder of those meal ideas and periodically run through the list checking to see I have all the ingredients on hand. I also like to practice them a few times to insure we really do like them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...