Monday, December 5, 2022

Monday Message

"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry)

You know I said we got better in the last post...well we went to church on Sunday wearing our N95 masks, so many were coughing and...yep, I am now sick again. I guess I will have to attend virtually till flu season is over, grrrr :( So since it has been almost a week, if it is like last time it means a little more than two to go. We will see though as I feel like I have less stuff in me to fight it. So lying low here.

Trying rest with my bag o' cat.

I hope all of you are well and enjoying the holidays.

Just a reminder to build your sick plan.

https://www.hillcitybride.com/2020/12/gift-ideas-when-you-have-no-money/ - here are some low cost ideas.

I think so many will have a hard holiday.

It is okay to cut back. There's no shame in it at all. This is the year we should all cut back. Think how those before us did Christmas. They had way less and worked way harder. In things I have read from back then, it was a family time, they didn't have much but they had each other.

I remember my grandma talking about Christmas one year during the depression. They had nothing to give the little ones. She gathered them together in the kitchen and they looked at the coals in the cook stove and played what they could see in the coals like you do when you look at the clouds. I am sure they all had fun with their mom finding pictures of fish or flowers or bunnies. That is a hard Christmas.

Now is a good time to start a new "less cluttered with things" Christmas.

Who could argue about watching movies and having caramel corn?

One family is doing no gifts but they have plans to fix favorite meals and snacks instead and the kids are so excited they are looking through recipes and if they can be excited over that we can do things too.

What do you plan to do to cut back? Write and share with us below.

https://www.frugalandthriving.com.au/free-gift-ideas/ good ideas here too.

https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/gifts-that-dont-cost-a-dime/ - she has great ideas as well.

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/save-money/100-free-gift-ideas-people-actually-want/ - some ideas here as well.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/20-gifts-that-cost-nothing-to-make-but-just-might-be-priceless_b_6282918

I think you get the idea that shopping till you drop or spending more than you have is probably something worth foregoing this year for sure.

I will tell you that this also is the time to de-stress and find time to rest.

https://www.scandinaviastandard.com/what-is-hygge/ - with winter coming full force, this is a great thing to slow down, put soup to cook, light some candles, everyone pick a book they want to read and hot cocoa for all.

This week, besides being sick, I finished the cowl I was working on, it was fun to knit

It is being blocked in this picture.

https://www.pinterest.com/hackettjm/free-cowl-knitting-patterns/ - these cowl patterns are all free.

I hope you all are well and having fun in all you do.

Missy says stay safe and well, be working on skills and storage as you can and make sure you have catnip on hand or under your tree this year.

10 comments:

  1. I hope you are better very soon! The way I cut back was shopping for months for the grandchildren and getting everything for a deep discount. I have been stocking up on the holiday foods for weeks as well so nothing is over our regular budget here. I have a ham in my freezer from Easter sales and if they get to a low price I will buy another one or two to have on hand in the freezer but I am thankful for the one I have. Sides and desserts are basic ingredients and nothing fancy but what we always have. Since I buy on sale all year and keep a deep pantry we have been carrying on much the same as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you feel better soon. Having asthma, I am trying very hard not to get sick. I have added gargling with lysterine ( betadine throat gargle is good too) and using a provoiodine nasal spray after going out. Perhaps that could help you? Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All excellent ideas I too have asthma fortunately I am better so not as long as last time the blog post is two weeks behind incase I get sick it can keep going. Our state is a hot bed of germs right now.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you are sick again love your kitty in a bag, stay in and do sacrament virtual it is healthier when all around us are sick and refuse to stay home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I am better now glad it wasn't as long as last time. My blog posts are behind by two weeks incase I get sick and can't do a week. We are going back to virtual the whole state is a hot bed of germs right now

      Delete
  4. What? Sick again! Yeah, I think you better worship from home for a while ;) Catnip is priority 2 for Missy with 1 being food, of course 🤣. Knitting is good therapy…good for you finishing it.
    What a sweet memory of your grandma: having the children gaze into the coals and say what they saw.
    You can never go wrong with food for celebrating. So thankful we have food and warmth!
    Hope you recover well,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am better now so glad it wasn't as long as last time the blog is two weeks behind just incase I get sick and cannot do it. So now am better our state has very high number for flu etc very scary so yep we are going back to virtual church till this all passes

      Delete
  5. seems like the flu is taking over around Ontario...thanks for the site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. be very careful it also looks like another wave of covid in the US as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...