Monday, April 3, 2023

Monday Message

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. . .I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. . .Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

You cannot believe how quickly it will build if you just start a little here and a little there. We all go to the store so often, just make yourself pick up one item for storage every time. That way it isn't painful like a big purchase. I still do this though I don't go to stores very often. Once it is a habit, you won't have to think it, you just do it.

It is so nice to see no snow when I look out the window.

I still am fighting this cold flu but doing a little better. I have done little putzing jobs as I can around the house. Mostly had to rest, still so wore out but pushing on. It is amazing what you think up to do when you can't feel up to it.

https://theprudenthomemaker.com/how-we-saved-money-this-past-week-16/ - she does frugal things, very inspiring.

This last year for Christmas we did something different for fun. Both of us opened a bag each day from December 1st through the 25th. It was such a hit, we will do it again this year. The things were inexpensive, mostly Dollar Tree items and a piece of chocolate. So after Christmas our grocery store had bags of miniature candy bars for a dollar. I got them and froze them to put in our bags, just a few in each bag.  

For the bags I use lunch sacks. I have been getting bag items every time I get groceries to spread out the cost while still within our grocery budget. This is one thing I am doing to stretch the budget. This I am doing for the two of us. Yes, me too. I save the best one for Christmas Day. I have already forgotten what things I have gotten, so it works. This year I am putting our initials on the bags. I will write 25 on the bag for Christmas Day. We will pick each other's bag out for the day so it will be a surprise every day. Like I said, these are just inexpensive useful items.


https://frugalfamilyhome.com/food/recipes/vanilla-pancake-syrup-recipe - make your own syrup.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/frugal-living-tips/frugally-fit - lots here, she always has great stuff.

So many ways to be frugal, starting with recipes that are frugal. If you have old church cookbooks or find any at thrift stores or yard sales they are just full of frugal recipes.

I have found many recipes over the years from these cookbooks. They are a book of everyone's favorite recipes. So pick them up when you see them and spend time looking through them. They are also a lot more frugal.

I have watched many podcasts where so much butter is used when it isn't necessary and it is very greasy and not at all good for you, not to mention expensive. More doesn't make it better. I also cringe when I see people not measure out spices and herbs, which I see them just dump them in from the container guessing. To me where they might only need a tsp. but it ends up being tablespoons, this is expensive. So measure your ingredients, this will save a lot as well. We need to stretch what we have and to be frugal where we can.

https://frugalfamilyhome.com/food/recipes/make-your-own-groceries-35-recipes-to-make-at-home-and-save - she has things that you can make yourself.

Missy says remember to wash your paws to keep those germs at bay. She also says slow down and smell the catnip. Work on storage and finding frugal ways to live.

10 comments:

  1. Slow down and smell the catnip indeed! Great line from Missy, thank you ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I agree on the free pouring of spices and herbs! I cannot imagine that some of those dishes made on YouTube channels even taste good with so much over use of seasonings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so costly even if you raise your own measuring saves money but yes is a tiny bit of work but worth

      Delete
  3. That process of opening a bag every day from Dec 1 to Dec 25 for a little treat?
    That's called an Advent Calendar. Giggle! Everything old is new again...

    We do Advent calendars every year. It used to be just an inexpensive cardboard calendar for the kids, and each day a little door opened to a tiny piece of shaped chocolate. They lost their little minds at the thought of CHOCOLATE with BREAKFAST!!!
    Now we all get a calendar. I've gotten DH a Bonne Maman calendar with tiny jars of jams for each day. My favorite one was from Aldi's that featured 1-oz bars of various English cheddars. And DS made one for his girlfriend that had a little note of encouragement and a piece of candy for each day. It was so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct my daughter and I watch knitting podcasts and we would see people open advent calendars but oh my goodness they are soooo costly and we decided we could do our own she and her husband and me and her daddy. Last year was the first time we did this it was a hit....i want you to know I have been getting things this yr a little here and there so I won't have it all to do at the end....just yesterday I picked up a little dash pumpkin waffle iron at the thrift store for one of my bags......keeping things low cost.....will I remember not at all I have fibromyalgia so I will enjoy it for sure.....i am putting them in sandwhich bags the brown ones then our initial on the bag I have not yet stapled them closed as I will put those choc bars in then staple them. Then starting Dec first my husband will pick one out with my initial and I one out with his and I will be surprised and so will he.....frugal but fun

      Delete
  4. Hola becki, te escribo desde mi celular, estamos muy enfermos en mi casa, tenemos gastroenteritis o puede ser dengue ya que los síntomas son muy similares, ora por nosotros,somos siete personas viviendo en el mismo lugar y cuatro son los que estamos afectados., Me he sentido muy mal, todavía tengo algunos síntomas. Se rompió mi PC y no puedo publicar fotos de algunas cosas que hice
    Oro por mi familia para que pronto estemos mejor, hace cuatro días que nos enfermamos. Bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers for all of you ❤ I so hope you are better fast I know it is hard to be sick at the same time. Rest and feel better I have prayed for you all to get well fast.

      Delete
  5. Every now and then I do what I call a 'back to basics' month and those recipes I know by heart and measure out but don't read the recipe? I pull the recipe and use it to just insure that I am not overdoing it when I measure things in.

    On the other hand, there are a few cooks I watch who will say, Add 1 tsp and then they just shake that spice jar and I'll lay odds they aren't getting even a pinch in the recipe. Having watched Top Chef (?I think it's been years) and watching some of those chefs come to the pot with a huge bulk jar of spices go to pour a little in and have half the contents end up in the recipe and disaster following, I never measure over my bowl or dish!
    I sure hope you get to feeling quite well once more Becky. Thank you for your taking time to write and include so many good links.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...