Monday, April 24, 2023

Monday Message

"Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I hope you all are doing well this week.

At the time I am writing this, it has gotten quite warm here in Iowa this week but it has been hot and windy, so windy, which equals pain for me. I feel like it has been windy every day for so long I am finding it hard to remember when it hasn't been windy, good grief.

We replaced the screen in the back door it was so very hard to do it with the metal screen. We have decided if any other screens ever need replacing, we will use the nylon screen. The reason we did metal was bugs, like grasshoppers, eat the nylon and squirrels like to climb it. It took hours. The nylon one only took less than a half hour so for us old people now I think we will go back to that. So for hours we were working on trying to put the cord in and the wind was so hard to work against, it has been like that all week.

Yesterday I put landscaping fabric down on the garden as I just can't keep up with the weeds and I did not want them to get ahead of me so I fought the winds doing that too.

Today I went through my summer clothes to see what fits for the summer ahead and donate what doesn't tomorrow.

I have still been doing some organizing in the kitchen.

I think I am pretty much done with spring cleaning. My plants are growing. Our time to plant here is after May 15th, that is the last frost date, though I have seen if frost after that.

I mentioned that it has been hot, in the mid-eighties, but Sunday it says snow flurries, incredible.

This is a pretty reminder that mostly winter is in the rearview mirror.

I have seen rhubarb coming up as well and the peach tree is budding. I would sure love peaches this year.

So hot, thunderstorms and snow flurries all in three days, good grief.

I continue to work on the sock tubes.

I know not everyone knits but for those of you that do this is my favorite sock tutorial. She does a great job explaining how to make them. She is one of my favorite watches, could be because I have family roots that go back to Norway but I think I just like her :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoji0YQkKU - she does amazing socks, I am glad she shared how to make them.

I also made up more bread mixes while I was organizing in the kitchen. I added a small handful of five-grain cereal to them this time.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2016/02/monday-message_29.html - having these on hand ready to go has helped me so much.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2022/06/monday-message_20.html - here is the recipe I use. In this post, I added a handful of oats and this time I added a small handful of the five-grain cereal as well as the oats.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2014/03/monday-message_10.html - This post has more mixes.

Missy says as we push on through our busy days, find time to rest. If you need a teacher she volunteers.

10 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY, ¿PARECE QUE EL CLIMA ESTA BASTANTE RARO EN TODAS PARTES VERDAD? PASAS DEL CALOR AL FRIO EN UN PARPADEAR DE OJOS, INCREIBLE, AQUI EL CLIMA ESTA MAS BIEN HUMEDO YA QUE ESTAMOS EN OTOÑO Y EN BUENO AIRES, LA HUMEDAD ES ALTA, TODAVIA NO HEMOS TENIDO DIAS FRESCOS, AUNQUE A LA NOCHE, LA TEMPERATURA DESCIENDE UN POCO NADA MAS, TAMBIEN ESTOY TEJIENDO Y MUCHO, AHORA QUE YA ESTAMOS RECUPERADOS GRACIAS A DIOS¡¡¡¡¡ TENGO UN TIEMPO LIBRE PARA HACER LO QUE ME GUSTA Y PODER VENDER MIS PRODUCTOS. FUI A VER EL TUTORIAL DE INA Y ME ENCANTARON SUS CALCETINES, LASTIMA QUE ESTA EN INGLES, PERO HAY MUCHOS TUTORIALES EN MI IDIOMA Y SIEMPRE APRENDO ALGO NUEVO. NOSOTROS ESTAMOS HACIENDO ALGUNOS ARREGLOS EN CASA Y YA ESTAMOS CANSADOS JAJAJA, LA EDAD NO NOS ACOMPAÑA, MI ESPOSO ES MUY HABILIDOSO, HACE MUCHOS ARREGLOS, PERO LA EDAD QUE TIENE YA NO ES TAN AGIL COMO ANTES (67), PERO PREFERIMOS HACERLO NOSOTROS YA QUE NO HAY DINERO SUFICIENTE PARA PAGAR A ALGUIEN QUE LO HAGA POR NOSOTROS, DISFRUTO CADA SEMANA DE TUS PUBLICACIONES, TAMBIEN MIRO TUS PUBLICACIONES DE AÑOS ATRAS, ERES UNA GENIA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is being weird alright we have had a freeze the last three nights I am hoping that it didn't hurt my chances of getting peaches the blossoms half were out the other half not yet. I am wondering if I can trust our frost date when it comes May 15. We took in a cat today a girl but she looks like gus in the face...she is a cuddly one for sure.

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky,
    I have only commented once, I think. However, I am a regular reader of your blog. Thank you for posting the tube sock video. My mom taught me to knit when I was 4 years old, which was long ago, and I've been knitting ever since. While I've made socks, I've never made tube socks so this will be a new learning experience for me. I'm also a card maker and also love to make my own packaging in the way of boxes and bags for gift giving. If you have never watched her tune into The Posh Paper Lady on YouTube. I've made the most beautiful embellishments, boxes, gift bags, journals and gifts from her videos. She is amazing. Have a blessed day. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked her up and will give her a watch. The sock tubes I made on the circular sock machine and I am learning the kirbywirby cut in heels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616gmtAYWLU this has helped alot that said when I am at church I just knit a sock tube no thinking. I am glad you are here

      Delete
    2. I watched the kirbywirby video. How ingenious!! I will have to try it. Amazon had the KB circular sock loom on sale for $14 which was quite a bargain and since I had a gift car I ordered one. The machine looks interesting. It might go on my wish list. So far in the last two weeks I've finished 5 sock yarn beanies for Christmas gifts from the Fox & Pine website. Cookie

      Delete
    3. i do that kirby wirby all the time you are doing good to get a start on Christmas gifts good job

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Be watching for a new addition Mrs pickles right now Missy is trying to get use to her it also is amazing how in the face she looks like gus but not long hair like he was

      Delete
  4. Hello Becky,
    Hope you are having a wonderful day today. I am grateful for the sock video, it encouraging and easy enough to understand for me to take the adventure of doing socks.
    Oh we are just about to enter winter here feeling a few frosts to come I am hoping not so. Our fall has been so warmer than usual it is hopeful for a warmish winter. I do so hope your last frost is May15th so you can go ahead without any interuptions in your garden
    Anyways thankyou for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I will be able to plant on time but weather is so very weird be prepared for a hard winter I am worried about a hot summer yes doing the socks is so restful once you do a couple and get comfortable with it all and you will always have toasty toes after that. Glad you are here

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...