Monday, June 19, 2023

Monday Message


"The counsel to have a year’s supply of basic food, clothing, and commodities was given fifty years ago and has been repeated many times since. Every father and mother are the family’s storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency … [and] God will sustain us through our trials." (James E. Faust)

I think squirrels are good at storing nuts and just awful at finding them. I keep cutting down little walnut trees all over the yard. So if you store food, be sure you can find it!

The smoke from the Canadian wildfires keeps me from going outside to do much due to asthma. I cannot imagine the damage and the manpower to put them out, so sad.

So much going on that is destructive, we do need to keep building our storage but even more, we need to store the basics and build skills to work with them. It isn't enough to say I have twenty-five pounds of wheat, if we don't know how to use it. There are skills you need to know...first, if you go from store-bought white bread to whole wheat everything, your children will revolt. It won't be pretty :p

Do you have a way to grind it? Makes me think of the Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Her family had only the coffee mill to grind the wheat they were able to get. They had ingenuity and lots of skills.

It is hard for kids to go from store-bought bread to homemade bread, let alone wheat bread.

I cannot do red wheat as it causes my digestion issues but white wheat I have no issues. So I store white wheat. Only store what you eat. This is very important. If you think if you'll get hungry enough you will eat it...nope, no way does that work. So just store items you eat. Store the things to make what you like.  If you store flour just think how many things you can make out of flour, not just bread but cakes, cookies, pancakes, waffles, brownies, and gravies, pies, you name it. So store ingredients to go with it like shortening, yeast, baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda, the basics.

And be sure to get those basics ahead for when you're in a time of need.

As soon as temps dropped I made a batch of granola. This is a basic healthy version.

Healthy Granola

One large container of old fashion oats

One large can of frozen apple juice

1/4 cup real maple syrup

I use pecans, as much as you like.

1 Tbsp or 2 of cinnamon

I mix together and spread on sided cookie sheets. Put in the oven at 200 degrees, stir every half hour till this is dry (I turn it off and leave in oven overnight if it takes too long then I check, if still not dry, turn on oven and do this for another hour till dry). Cool and put in airtight container. This can be added to, if you want to add fruit and other things, it is up to you. I like to sprinkle this on yogurt. My husband likes it to top his cereal or snack on it. I think it would be good to sprinkle on muffins before baking.

I would suggest making a binder with recipes using the basics.

This is why I suggest getting some of those old church cookbooks. Because these usually have ingredients that are basic and in our storage.

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/whole-wheat-blender-pancakes/ - if you don't yet have a wheat grinder, these pancakes are easy to make with wheat berries and your blender and are soooooo good.

This week I finally got those project bags sewed up.

It is hard for you to see in the picture but I have an old sewing machine in a cabinet where if I flip down the top it gives me an extra surface for working on.




These are the project bags I have worked up. I am looking forward to putting them to work.

Keep working on skill building as well, these are good things to have in your bucket.

Missy says build your skills. She is watching me sew, she is building her skills she says.

Tippy Longstockings says store things you eat, she says she wouldn't like to eat icky things.


8 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: ME ENCANTAN TUS BOLSAS, LA DE GALLINAS ES MI FAVORITA, AMO LAS TELAS CON DISEÑOS DE GALLOS, GALLINAS Y POLLITOS. SEGUIMOS EN UNAS SEMANAS DE PROBLEMAS ECONOMICOS, HAY DIAS DIFICILES, PERO SIEMPRE TENGO ALGO GUARDADO EN LA ALACENA O HELADERA, ASI QUE NO PASAMOS HAMBRE, GRACIAS A DIOS, USAMOS LO QUE TENEMOS Y HACEMOS LO QUE PODEMOS, NO ES FACIL A VECES DAR DE COMER A MUCHOS, PERO DIOS SIEMPRE SUPLE. OI EN LAS NOTICIAS DEL FIN DE SEMANA CON MUCHOS TIROTEOS EN TU PAIS, QUE TRISTEZA POR DIOS ¿PORQUE HAY TANTA MALDAD EN EL MUNDO? AQUI TAMBIEN HAY VIOLENCIA DESGRACIADAMENTE, VIVIMOS EN UNA COMUNIDAD RELATIVAMENTE TRANQUILA, A VECES, PERO NO HAY GENTE QUE LLEVE ARMAS, IGUALMENTE TRATAMOS DE SALIR POCO, SOLO LO NECESARIO, SIEMPRE HAY COSAS PARA HACER, NO ENTIENDO A LA GENTE QUE LE GUSTA IR DE CHISMOSA EN CASA AJENA PERDIENDO EL TIEMPO. BENDICIONES Y QUE DIOS LOS GUARDE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the chicken one too I should have pressed it one more time as it is wrinkled in the picture. I do not know why there are so many shootings it is awful I feel like right now a lot of hatred exists I don't know how people have so much time to hate and kill....i think too as times are harder people seem to be more mean as well. It is like a switch sets off in their brain. Very sad....i would think world history would show that hatred is bad but still it goes on. The scriptures tell us it will be this way I wish it were different. Live and let live accept everyone is not a hard concept.

      Delete
  2. love your project bags...cute material for them...good photos of the kitties....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the chicken fabric I got yrs back to make potholders still have plenty to work those up in future

      Delete
  3. ASI ES BECKY, LAS ESCRITURAS NOS ADVIERTEN DE LOS TIEMPOS PELIGROSOS Y LA MALDAD IRA EN AUMENTO, DIOS ASI LO ESTABLECIO, SOLO NOS RESTA ORAR. DIOS TE BENDIGA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be able to make those project bags. They wouldn't be project bags. Maybe gift bags or makeup bags. Something fun. Maybe Missy could make one for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...