Monday, June 26, 2023

Monday Message

"Our bishops storehouses are not intended to stock enough commodities to care for all the members of the Church. Storehouses are only established to care for the poor and the needy. For this reason, members of the Church have been instructed to personally store a year’s supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel. By following this counsel, most members will be prepared and able to care for themselves and their family members, and be able to share with others as may be needed." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

Making storage and frugal living a way of life will feel like normal when you do this daily. We sometimes are tempted to just toss it out when you get to that last crust no one ate or this week for me I had a plastic container strawberries came in. I had it in my hands heading to the garbage can and I looked at it and remembered I had seen somewhere that you could use them to start garden seed so I saved it. This has a lid and will save on covering them with plastic wrap when planting seedling time comes next year.

So think before you toss things. Remember, you can compost kitchen scraps to use on next year's garden. If you planted a garden, try to save seed from it in the late fall. Again, planting things that come back on their own every year is a good thing to help with costs every year.

When it comes to clothing, you can make your own items or mend them to make them last longer.

https://www.pinterest.com/gwhunting/funky-mending/ - mending ideas that are fun that could help you learn to mend and look fun to have.

Make your own spice mixes.

https://www.fivehearthome.com/recipes/make-your-own-mixes-kitchen-staples/ - this shows ways we can make our own items for less. We need to keep looking for frugal ways to do things. Times are still tough. I know I hear grocery prices are coming down but I have yet to see it plus other things keep going up. Kind of like getting it from all angles right now.

I decided to water the garden less even though we are drought-like right now and I hand water things that need a little extra. This is making things go deep for water. If I see they need some, I can carry it out. This will help our water bill and will help get them to rain that may come.

I know this angle makes everything look crowded but it isn't. I wanted you to see the grass in the top left corner we are very much dry.

I know it is seemingly a small thing but pennies build up over time.

We had our 49th anniversary this week. We like to go to Half-Price Books to celebrate. I can tell you I notice a big jump in prices. Things that used to be $2.99 are now $9.99 and lots higher. Times are tight for all.

This is Tippy telling Missy how expensive the bookstore was.

And living inside a budget that is gasping for air, we need to keep doing it anyway. It isn't easy and not fun but necessary. It's all a way of life for sure.

How are you doing with tighter times? Is there a way you have found to cut corners?

Years ago we were given Easter lilies. That year I think we were given three and I heard you could plant them and so I did and now they look like this.


They come back every year we were given all white and one pink one here is how they look now...

I was gifted a second wool genie for Mother's Day so I could do colorwork. Here is a picture of me starting a new project a cowl with what I had on hand...

This is the solution to my carrying them up and down stairs as I work in both places. It works great.  This is a basket I made a couple years ago it is the perfect solution.

This is how the project is going so far.

This is Tippy Longstockings guarding the project (more like can I get away with messing with it?) :p

How are you coming on building skills? This is just as important as building storage.

Missy says take time to ponder and learn new skills

Tippy Longstockings say it isn't time to be lax in getting in your storage and learning basic skills, they all are needed now more than ever!



10 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: QUE HERMOSAS ESTAN TUS LIRIOS, SE VEN INCREIBLES, TU HUERTA SIGUE EN PIE A PESAR DE LA SEQUIA, EL VERANO PASADO TAMBIEN TUVIMOS DEMASIADO CALOR Y LA TIERRA ESTABA EXTREMADAMENTE SECA, TENIA QUE REGAR A DIARIO Y ALGUNAS PLANTAS NO SOBREVIVIERON, Y TAMBIEN SE CORTABA EL SUMINISTRO ELECTRICO Y HABIA POCA AGUA, ¿UN DELIRIO NO?YA TE HABIA COMENTADO QUE EL VERANO PASADO FUE UN HORNO EN MI CIUDAD, TUVIMOS ENTRE 40 Y 44 CENTIGRADOS ¿MUCHO CALOR NO? ESTE INVIERNO POR AHORA ES ALGO CALIDO, HAY DIAS CON MUCHA HUMEDAD, NO HACE MUCHO FRIO COMO A MI ME GUSTA. LOS COMESTIBLES SIGUEN AUMENTANDO, ES UN DESASTRE TODO, CON MI ESPOSO VAMOS A DISTINTOS LUGARES A COMPRARLOS, EN ALGUNOS ENCONTRAMOS MUCHA DIFERENCIA EN LOS PRECIOS, EL AZUCAR, ACEITE, LOS HUEVOS, FIDEOS Y VEGETALES MAS LA CARNE ES LO QUE MAS HAN SUBIDO DE PRECIO, ANDAMOS DE AQUI PARA ALLA BUSCANDO OFERTAS, ES CANSADADOR PERO ASI PODEMOS AHORRAR ALGUNOS PESOS. QUE LINDO QUE PUDISTE SALIR EN TU ANIVERSARIO, NOSOTROS HABIAMOS HECHO PLANES, PERO..... EL DINERO NO ALCANZO, SERA LA PROXIMA. BENDICIONES Y ABRAZOS A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have our meal at home only went to book store which prices were up too much for us but I found a couple I could get from clearance section. I have not seen the prices come down as well and like you have to go to several areas different stores. We all just do what we have too.....I am thankful tho I could do a dinner at home it is way way cheaper

      Delete
  2. We started composting over 20 years ago and this year we dug out 35 gallons of compost! So just get started y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tippy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  4. the lilies are beautiful ....I have never seen them in pink ...thank you for the sites and the kitty pictures...they look like good company..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping tippy long stockings will keep Missy young

      Delete
  5. I planted Easter Lilies years ago, after they were given to me. Now they fill a barrel and look quite lovely. I'm so thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too I am glad some one told me they could be planted out doors all those long years ago I love that they are all this color because all were white but one pink one caused this I love it

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...