Monday, July 17, 2023

Monday Message


"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry)

At the time of the writing of this post, we have a gentle cool shower so the garden will be most pleased. I am just letting nature water the garden this year so the water bill will not be so high. The garden is doing very well even with all the long dry hot weather we have had.

This week I have been working very hard at a deep clean and organizing in the sewing room and so now that it is totally done and I can rest from that.




I also have been working on a talk for church on Sunday. Public speaking is not something I enjoy. I would rather have major surgery. Doing the deep cleaning and organizing has kept my mind off my fear of speaking...probably why I decided to do it this week. But I am pleased with the results.

The dress I was making as a test for this pattern and a different size has worked out well, better than I expected.

I did the dress as a test never expecting it to turn out on the first go but it did.

I sewed on these buttons I had in my stash on the bodice front just for decoration.


This belt didn't originally go with the dress. I had to remake it so that it would match it.  



I have other dresses I have been wanting to make with this pattern but first had to see if I needed to make any alterations.

Total cost of this dress was only my time and electricity. The fabric was from freecycle, the buttons were in my stash for unknown years, the hardware for the belt is recycled from a dress I no longer have. The clips on this belt are mitten clips so I will salvage them and I will undo and use the elastic in the belt for the new belt.


Here is a picture of it finished!


I have been picking green beans, yum!

I have lots of tomatoes growing, I look forward to those.

The peach tree is loaded. I really look forward to those as well.

It is the in between times for the garden but I am really looking forward to eating the good foods. I feel like I am sitting out there with a knife and fork drooling...

The break in the hot weather is a very welcome thing indeed after being so hot.

How are the grocery prices in your area? I still feel like they haven't started coming down so keep working as you can at building your storage. Look for sales to stock up on when you can. I know that dollars are being pulled away from us in all different directions.

https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g4287/cheap-dinner-ideas/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_clv_md_dsa_prog_mix_us_20157335271&gclid=Cj0KCQjw756lBhDMARIsAEI0Agn4FJsNv1UQUX8SrxtWIh5Xh7lHqNG_uBExVBJxCHrJkUbNcQpOBSAaAnepEALw_wcB - this has a few less expensive meals.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw756lBhDMARIsAEI0Agnqkv1amAF-IUTcGG-huWE4k00qSrg2G0UB2Ym3fBosFlD1Q_RV-foaAqjdEALw_wcB - this breaks it down price per serving.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/cheap-dinner-ideas/ - can't ever go wrong with Taste of Home.

These sites might spur on ideas of your own too.

How are you coming on building your skills? I know it is so busy right now, try to just learn one little thing when you can, like learn to hem or sew a button or sew a straight seam. You won't always be very busy and one skill or part of one skill is better than no skill learning.

We just all do the best that we can and I am here to say you're doing great cause I think you are.

Missy says keep after it, the price for gibble keeps getting higher.

Tippy Longstockings says some days it is enough to rest with your toys and that is okay too.

18 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: QUE HERMOSO TU VESTIDO Y LOS BOTONES SON LOS MEJORES TE FELICITO, SE VE MUY FRESCO Y COMODO, ESPERO QUE LO USES Y PUBLIQUES UNA FOTO EN TU PROXIMA PUBLICACION DE LOS LUNES. AQUI HACE FRIO Y BASTANTE, ME GUSTA EL INVIERNO Y LO APROVECHO PORQUE NO VA A DURAR MUCHO TIEMPO, CONOZCO EL CLIMA DE MI LUGAR DE RESIDENCIA, NO TENEMOS INVIERNOS LARGOS NO LLEGAN A 2 MESES, BUENO ES LO QUE HAY. ESTOY TEJIENDO PARA LA FAMILIA Y EN AGOSTO AQUI EN MI PAIS SE FESTEJA EL DIA DEL NIÑO, ASI QUE CON LAS HERMANAS DE LA IGLESIA PLANEAMOS HACER DIFERENTES REGALOS PARA LOS PEQUEÑOS, EL AÑO PASADO HICE 12 DINOSAURIOS DE PAÑOLENCI Y CARTERAS TEJIDAS AL CREOCHET, TODOS ESTABAN FELICES, VEREMOS ESTE AÑO QUE HACEMOS, ME ENCANTA VER LA SONRISA DE LOS MAS CHICOS CUANDO LES DAS UN REGALO, ME HACE FELIZ. TE FELICITO NUEVAMENTE POR TU VESTIDO, AQUI ESTA TODO TAN CARO QUE YA NO SE PUEDE COMPRAR CASI NADA, SOLO LOS ALIMENTOS PARA PODER COMER, TEWNGO QUE EXTREMAR MIS GASTOS Y SER MUY FRUGAL Y AHORRATIVA, ENCOMIENDO A DIOS CADA DIA PARA PODER SER FUERTE Y ENFRENTAR LO QUE VIENE. BENDICIONES Y PRONTO PUBLICARE EN MI BLOG QUE LO TENGO ALGO OLVIDADO JAJAJAJAA. UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that fabric for many years I got it freecycle years ago we added me in it to this blog post so go back and look ....

      Delete
  2. love the dress and the buttons and the way you fixed the back...enjoy after your hard work..I use to take things I liked and take apart for patterns after their use was finished...amazing how some things are shaped the curve on good slacks is a surprise...enjoy your sewing time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the belt in pic isn't picturing well that gathered part goes from clip to clip. I have since made another and working on a third I too take apart fav things I think prices are way too high for my budget❤

      Delete
  3. WOW LUCES MUY LINDA Y ELEGANTE, TIENES UN PUNTAJE DE 10 EN LA CLASE DE COSTURA, FELICITACIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you the one I did last week is even prettier and I have the third one partially done. This was all free fabric from fifteen or twenty yrs ago from freecycle.

      Delete
  4. That dress fits you very well and the addition of the buttons was inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you this was a test to see if it would fit those buttons so pretty were a bear to sew on but came out nice thank you

      Delete
  5. The dress is beautiful! Good job on your part, the buttons add a lovely feature and the belt is so cute, I like how you redid it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The belt gathers you pull on each end and it gathers evenly looks like I should have done that before pic but you get the idea I have since done another and on a third. I was just glad I did not have to change it I thought j would have to that is why I made this dress as a test fit but it ended up being a good fit. Thank you

      Delete
  6. That is a wonderful style of dress for the summer. Cool and comfy! I am chuckling at our description of sitting outside with a knife and fork! Us too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love high waisted dresses this is from a pattern from way long ago. I have several three quarter sleeve cardigans to put with them for winter wear so that works well for me. Our tree is so loaded we have seven braces holding them up yum

      Delete
  7. The dress is so pretty, and you look beautiful in it! It's very flattering and the belted back is clever. I love that it was made with free and recycled materials. You produced something from "nothing"!

    I have gotten so many wonderful recipes from Budget Bytes. It's a terrific resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the belt looks better in real life you pull both ends and it gathers evenly I must have shifted it but I have made a second dress and third is started.. Thanks I will look that up.

      Delete
  8. This week I went to the grocery and purchased Won Ton wrappers to make egg rolls at home. Then I got in a vintage Woman's Day Menu magazine and lo and behold, recipes for wonton wrappers inside! I'm curious to try to make my own now. They make it sound easy enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job and great find you are a great example

      Delete
  9. You look lovely in your new dress. I'd make several if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I have made three so far and want to make more

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...