Monday, July 24, 2023

Monday Message

"Most of us cannot afford to store a year’s supply of luxury items, but find it more practical to store staples that might keep us from starving in case of emergency." (James E. Faust)

Just pick up what you can. I know that at some point I will be making raspberry jam so I add ingredients to my grocery list so that I have it on hand for when I am ready to make jam. This will not put a strain on my budget by spreading it out. I know it will be in late fall when I make the jam.

You can do this with lots of things like school supplies and clothes, pick them up all summer then when you find that more items are needed you will just need to get those items. When it came to clothing, I would find things ahead at yard sales. Like I knew we would need snow pants and winter coats, boots, mittens, hats, stuff like that. I know kids grow fast so I tried to anticipate that.

Same is true with so much in our lives. If we can look ahead and see what is needed and work on it a little at a time, for me it works. Money was always tight getting ready for school. If you have some storage set aside that is good. We would use it when these times came to divert money where it was needed. But the key is never to let it run out. When times are good, stock back up.

Look at fashions, those that aren't horrid you can use your sewing skills to update older clothes.

Life is a struggle but look for ways to be more frugal. Build those skills. Mend things before they get really bad plus I don't like a growing pile of mending. So if I notice something, I do it as soon as I can.

We are now going back into heat so I think on what meals would be easier to fix on hot days. When you make up your menus for the month, be sure you have some ready for those very hot days. We like zucchini sandwiches. They're easy to fix and it's like eating out at a special place, plus it doesn't heat things up.

Zucchini Sandwiches (this amount makes enough for two so build it up if you need more)

I cut a zucchini in half the long ways then slice. I put a couple tablespoons of butter melting in my dying pan. To this I add a bit of garlic salt, just a sprinkle as there will be more and a pinch of dried garlic and two tablespoons of dried onion. 

Put the zucchini in and just cook on medium heat. I add more garlic salt, onion, and garlic. I use dried so that I always have it on hand but use the fresh if you wish. When the zucchini is about half done, dice a tomato and add it, mix it up. When the zucchini is done (I like a bit of crisp on it) you put parmesan cheese on top, cook till melted. 

In the meantime, take and butter two hamburger buns, sprinkle with garlic salt and cook face down till golden. Take the bun grill side up and scoop some of the zucchini mixture on top. We absolutely love this.  

Zucchini will take on the taste of what you cook with it. I make an apple pie with only zucchini, no apples, but you would think they are apples as they taste just like apples. You would need me to tell you they weren't.

So don't rule this veggie out.

This I made for the sewing room some years back, it is the directions from a vintage pattern. The pattern is so interesting, will never fit me or even just my bones, but they had no directions on the pattern only holes punched. I guess one hole to one hole, two to two. Sort of thing is very interesting.

I have been sewing on two dresses from pieces I had, which meant I had to be very creative when it came to fitting the pieces on. That said, you can see my pattern weight, she is a cutie. Missy loves it when I sew, she said if only she had thumbs.

This is a cat conversation that was had this week...

Tippy Longsstockings said, "I think today is canceled due to lack of interest, and tomorrow is not looking too good either."



Missy says, "I'll second that."

The garden is keeping me busy.



Finally getting some good tomatoes. I have waited for them to turn red but I need to pick though before they are fully red or the insects will get to them.

Lots of things are blooming!



This last picture is of the mint. It is shoulder high, very pretty and nice smelling.

The peach tree is totally loaded. It has seven braces holding it up with all the weight. I am drooling :p

Missy says keep moving forward with a smile on your face.

Tippy Longstockings says be sure to take time to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...