Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas snacks - Julekaga & Jerky

Here's some yummy favorites we like to have around Christmas! Enjoy!!



Julekaga

This recipe makes five loaves. I baked two and froze three before the rising part so later I will take out one when I want and let it rise, then bake and enjoy…

8 - 8 1/2 c flour
2 packages of yeast (or 4 1/2 tsp) as I buy it in bulk
2 tap cardamom
3 c milk
1/2 stick butter
1 c. sugar
2 tap salt
1/2c, raisins
1 c chopped almonds
Small container of candied fruit

I mix my powder milk with warm water, you could warm your milk add yeast and stir.
Add my butter cut up. Mix some in mixer, add half of flour and salt, mix with dough hook or by hand. Add flour till dough cleans side of bowl or if by hand till kneadable. Knead five minutes then add fruit and nuts. Then shape into five loaves, I wrap three for freezer now and the other two I spray and cover with a towel, let rise one hour. Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes longer if needed.

Put on cooling rack and ice with 2 c powder sugar two tbsp. Butter 1/2 tap almonds flavoring stir together with enough hot water to make icing ice the loaves and quickly add chopped almonds can also put maraschino cherry halves which I did not do today.




Jerky

1 bottle soy sauce I just use the regular size (med)
1 bottle of liquid smoke
Mix this around
Slice a large or two med rump roast (to do this you freeze the roasts take them out of freezer morning of the day before making this will slice great)

Put slices as you go into above mixture

Dry in dehydrator. I have 9 trays filled here they will be ready by tomorrow morning. It is our traditional Christmas jerky!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like my Julekaga recipe too. hubby isn't fond of cardamom, so use lemon instead. Haven't had a chance to make any yet this year. Yumm, so good toasted with a bit of butter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...