Monday, May 24, 2021

Monday Message


 "Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I think it is more important than ever. There is need everywhere.

So if you have a skill or just learned one, share it so another person can have the skill as well.

This is hard during a pandemic but one could learn to Skype and then you can learn the skill together with someone over Skype.

Start with the most needed skill then learn a fun one as a reward, learning can be fun.

I know some people are saying grocery prices haven't gone up yet but others are already seeing prices up. I heard flowers are up twenty percent.

I have seedlings hardening getting ready for planting after the fifteenth. I like flowers that keep coming back every year. Many were shared by people cleaning through their plants. They make me remember my friends, several have passed but I remember them often.

Independence is at the heart of frugality. The more that you can do for yourself, the less you have to pay others to do those things for you. But to be independent, you need skills.

Gardening

Cooking

Baking

Canning/Preserving

Sewing

Knitting or Crocheting

Exercising

Making Minor Household Repairs

https://www.wisebread.com/20-great-frugal-skills-and-how-to-get-them this has great skills.

I am working on my sewing skills

Knitting skills

Crochet skills

Cooking for two

Gardening

Another skill that often is overlooked is proper care of appliances, our cars, our sewing machine. These are great skills to have.

https://the-frugalist.com/100-frugal-skills/ - this is a fantastic list and can even be used as a checklist.

Knowing how to make your own baked goods is the best skill to have. It saves so much money and tastes way better.

https://gotosew.com/ - learning to sew and mend is huge as well.

Missy says plant a garden if you can.

Gus says please be safe.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your encouraging posts during these uncertain times. I look forward to taking the time every monday to sit with a cup of coffee and read what you write. It makes me think about how I prep in different ways, and what skills I could be learning in addition to the ones I already am. Thank you for taking the time to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticky buns are one of my very favorite things to make and eat! YUM - yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my memories of my granny is walking through her garden and hearing her tell me that these were Mrs. Butler's iris and Mrs. English's rose and Thrift from the Wainwrights, etc. Almost all of her plants were what we call pass along plants and one of her contemporaries told me tradition said that you never thanked anyone if they gave you pass along plants because then they wouldn't grow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...