Monday, August 1, 2022

Monday Message

"Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

It is getting that time where hopefully the gardens are producing and it's time to put all that produce up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tkHrGolTl8 - I love watching this lady's channel. Here she is showing how to dehydrate frozen peas, I also love to do frozen mixed veggies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyiJ2PsbAI - I love this gal as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8LPbP5ZFpI - here she shares recipes that are all shelf stable.

It has been a very busy week in the yard cutting out trees that birds and squirrels plant. I really don't think squirrels do a good job finding what they bury and well the birds eat the seeds and poop willy-nilly. We live on 9/10ths of an acre so it's lots of work.

The young men from church and their leaders came and helped us too. We are so grateful for their help.

To add to the pain of cutting those walnut trees out, I could hear walnuts dropping from the big trees - grrrr! I will be cutting those next year.

It has been so very hot with no rain. I have had to do some watering. For someone who hates outside work I have been doing entirely too much of it. And I am tired of being a T-bone for all the bugs in town.

The garden is starting to feel like late fall instead of summer.

We have had things keep going down this month, good grief. I hope we are done with that cause we don't need any more of that!


I have managed to keep up with a little spinning each day. The purple is upstairs, it is a babe wheel that my sister gave me with a motor that operates it by foot pedal. It is a learning thing for me to get the speed just right. I am getting there though. You will recognize the wool from my dying it in the crockpot...




The colored spinning is on the matchless wheel downstairs, also a gift from my sister. The fiber is from a yarn shop that is no longer in business sadly.

I also finished an octopus pattern from same shop. Here are some pictures of it with the frog I just finished.


If you have hard work to do it is nice to have fun work as well. I think you will notice they did not lift one finger or tentacle to help with the outside work.

Missy says so many we know are getting Covid, the numbers are going up here in Iowa.

Gus says build your skills and storage, nothing is over.

3 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas USAAugust 2, 2022 at 4:37 AM

    Good Morning Becky! I feel your pain in the weather dept. It's sweltering here in Kansas, as well. I heard thunder a little bit ago and saw a few lightning flashes. I started to get excited that we might have rain and then my husband came in and said I shouldn't get hopeful, that it's all north of us!. Well, phooey!

    Love your little critters! Do the kitties ever grab one and make a run for it?

    All your yards are so colorful that they're decorations even before you make anything. My friend weaves and has dozens of thread cones. She has a rack that takes up a good portion of wall. With all the thread on it, it looks like a sculpture! So very pretty!

    I can't believe it's already August. I always feel like this is the last month for any real planned productivity. It seems that as soon as Labor Day arrives, my life goes into cruise control going 90mph with my hair on fire. And when it stops, it's mid January and I'm wondering what happened!!!

    Still working on decluttering. We took an entire SUV full to the veterans thrift store. Lots of good stuff for them to sell. Counter stools, dishes, lamps, crafting item, and popular authors/novels.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we were to get rain 51% I was hopeful too but nope so now 51% to me means zero percent chance I bet your friend's wall is beautiful. You are doing good with your job there I have been deep organizing as I did the deep clean out a couple yrs ago gave to the humanitarian yard sale now it is just organizing things to work better for this old fibro body. Today I will have to get out dehydrator tomatoes lots but not enough to can so slice and dry. It is to be so very hot I made bread yesterday and chicken salad for sandwiches and a pasta salad.....so I won't have too cook today just slice tomatoes.

      Delete
    2. your spinning is beautiful Becky a beautiful batch of yarn...Ma

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...