Monday, January 22, 2024

Monday Message


"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

I cannot stress this enough. We are waiting to see the fallout of this new insurance company to assess  the damage to our budget. So we are using all storage this month unless something has to be gotten.

That is the beauty of food storage, it allows me the ability to free funds from time to time. And storing what you like is so important. I would have a hard time eating things we don't like.

Tomorrow is the day before my b-day and yes, I will make my chocolate cake (get the recipe HERE).

This month will almost be over with by the time you read all of this, but just wanted to share the flexibility of having storage and how much it helps. Since I store what we like, our eating will be pretty normal. If ever there was a catastrophe, we would eat the same foods we are used to.

Not bad having homemade swirl bread...low spend months or not, yum! This bread pictured here I put craisins in, yummy!

I have been doing some deep cleaning and organizing and I think most is as I want it now so enough of the heavy things. I still want to put fabric scraps in colored order so I can just grab a box of whatever color to make some small quilting items, so that is a plan yet to work on.

One of the things I want to learn this year is how to do krokbragd on the inkle loom. The classes are not in my budget so learning on my own is what I will do.

https://learn.longthreadmedia.com/courses/weave-turned-krokbragd-on-an-inkle-loom - this is what it is as I know you all have been wondering. I want to make that sheep band in the picture.

Another is to learn more on my knitting machines.

Watercolor is also on my list.

Find more time to spin and weave and sew....

Also, how to utilize my kitchen appliances more, so learning those will also be on my list. You know how without thinking we pop toast into the toaster? Well I want to have all my appliances be like that.  Just automatic so to say.

What do you have on your list this year?

Today I will be repotting my apple trees that I have growing. Hopefully they will survive.

Be sure to check on people you know to see if they are doing alright as we are headed in to darkest time of winter and it is hard on so many.

Missy says you need to take some cozy time.

Tippy Longstockings says put a puzzle together. She is anxious to see the cats in it when it is finished.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Becky! You are always part of my Mondays. I always read your blog to see what you are doing. Is it your health insurance that is going up? I don't know how everyone is making ends meet. Everything is going up, food, energy, housing, insurance. Paychecks cannot keep up. Thank you for all of the good tips you always share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes health insurance it sure isn't very nice I say. I feel bad so many people having it so hard I truly feel it isn't improving at all. I am glad to be part of your Mondays ...i continue to hunt for frugal things that will help us all.

      Delete
  2. HOLA BECKY, ¿COMO TE ESTA YENDO CON TU INVIERNO POLAR? ESCUCHE EN LAS NOTICIAS DE TU PAIS QUE HAY MUCHOS MUERTOS, MUCHOS ESTAN SIN ELECTRICIDAD Y ESTAN PASANDO MUCHO FRIO, DIOS MIO CUANTA TRAGEDIA, OJALA QUE ESTEN PREPARADOS PARA ESTAS EMERGENCIAS, TU SEGURO QUE LO ESTAS, SIEMPRE DAS CONSEJOS SOBRE ESTAR PREPARADOS PARA DESASTRES CLIMATICOS Y OTRAS CALAMIDADES. TODO AUMENTA BECHY, TODO SUBE DE PRECIO, LA VERDAD SOLO DIOS SABE COMO LLEGAREMOS A FIN DE MES. BENDICIONES Y ORA POR NOSOTROS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sadly people have died. The cold was awful each day I would think we were coming out of weather warnings and advisories back in we would go even tonight We are in an ice event till noon tomorrow but we are staying in and I have ice cleats that go on my shoes I have a pair of shoes I just leave the cleats on for winter. Yes storage and being prepared has helped thru this alright. Prayers are being said for all of you as well.

      Delete
  3. I love the chocolate cake recipe and have made it many times! Thank you!
    Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been my favorite one for ever we will have our 50th anniversary in June and I got that recipe in the first two years so I have had it a very long time. Still is my favorite even without frosting it is still my favorite.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky, the photo of the cat on the puzzle is fabulous, it made my day, thank you. I read your blog every Monday and really appreciate your effort and all the information that you share! Thank you again, Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome and by the way tippy says it is hard to do the puzzle and encourages all of you to come help her.

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky. This is the second blog I've read today that mentioned the need to learn to use kitchen appliances. I also have several that I need to learn or re-home as I do not have space to keep things that don't get used. My instant pot is used only for cooking eggs. It takes up valuable space and I made boiled eggs on the stove top for 40+ years before the instant pot was invented. LOL! For other things, I just automatically get out the pots and pans and use the stove instead of trying the instant pot. I must do better! After doing things the same way for so many years, it's difficult to re-train myself.

    We've had the same cold spell everyone else has had. We were fortunate that when the storms came through we had a lot of rain and high wind, but no damage, no loss of power, and not the ice and snow others were experiencing. It's such a blessing to be prepared and not have to venture out when the bad weather hits. ~~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to retrain I will push on I think if I use it for something different a few more times it would help me I will try that spaghetti in it and see if I like it I got it at salvation army a while ago..i am ready for the storms to end.

      Delete
  6. A belated Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you another yr older hopefully wiser too

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...