Monday, January 8, 2024

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

I think we will need to tighten the belt a little more this year, seems like more things are going up.

I don't really do resolutions just have things going for goals all year but I think setting goals is a great idea at the first of the year.

Some of my goals are....

Learn the instant pot. I got one at the thrift store a while back. How I plan to do that is I found some free books for it on www.freereadfeed.com I will find frugal ways to use it. I have saved a lot of money by getting free books from this site. There may be others out there but this just happened to be the one I came across.

I would like to learn all my kitchen appliances more.

I am working on the skill of colorwork in knitting as you saw on my advent Christmas stocking. I want to further that skill.

I want to further my skills in bobbin lace and tatting.

I want to continue building my sewing skills.

I made this pincushion from a frame. I had seen this somewhere and thought it good to keep these pins separated from others.

I want to continue to work with sourdough - a new skill to me.


I want to further my seed saving and planting skills.

I planted the seeds you will remember from off the strawberries we had in the summer. Still waiting a bit to transplant them. I have the dirt inside so it will not freeze, so it is waiting for the right time.

I have this clay pot with dirt in it by the kitchen sink. I put the insides of peach pits in dirt hoping they will grow but I also have been tossing in apple seeds as we eat apples. All these are apple trees growing from those seeds. I have an orchard almost. They too will need repotting before long but not seeing any peach ones yet.

Tippy says she continues to be shocked by higher prices.

Missy says keep working at skill building. Pick which skill will save you the most and start with that one.

They just wanted to pop in since they weren't in the last two posts (too much catnip).

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/how-to-prepare-for-difficult-times.html - here is helpful information, I love this gal.

I have been wanting to learn Krokbragd on my inkle loom. Looking to learn myself is cheapest for me - I can still learn but at no cost.

I plan on researching more frugal ways and sharing with you. Share any ideas you have below with us.

Tippy says find inexpensive activities...I think I found the puzzle piece!

Missy says waste nothing this year, tighten those belts, be frugal, and do it in fun ways.

6 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY, AYER TE ENVIE UN MENSAJE POR TU CUMPLEAÑOS PERO PARECE QUE NO SE PUBLICO ESPERO QUE LO HAYAS PASADO MUY LINDO, HOY LUNES ES MI CUMPLEAÑOS NUMERO 64, ¿DONDE SE FUE EL TIEMPO? JAJAJAJAJA. DECEO QUE TENGAS UN MUY BENDECIDO Y PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO Y SIGAS COMPARTIENDO TUS HABILIDADES CON NOSOTRAS. BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go look and see if I can find it I am not very good with computers I say. Wish a very happy bday. I hope you are having a nice warm sunshine day today we are buried under lots of snow. Lots and lots and it isn't done yet glad it waited till after my bday. I am glad you like the blog

      Delete
  2. i only have a tiny balcony with 6 hours sunlight, but think I will try your apple seed saving. Do you know how long it took before they sprouted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I first planted the inside seed of the peach pits this took a while but I am thrilled to say I have a peach tree growing I hope others grow too. But it looked bleak for any so the pot was sitting there and I just keep putting seeds in and on the dirt every time we have an apple I think maybe a month after I started seeing life on the apple trees I just reported them that is how I found the peach tree but I still toss seeds in the pot with peach tree. I am hoping they all stay alive.

      Delete
  3. Becky, thank you for the time and work you share with us each week. I do believe you can do anything! As for learning the instant pot,Frugal Queen in France did a u tube on that. Should find it helpful.Stay warm and well. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my what a terrific podcast thank you for sharing she is very helpful and interesting and I haven't even got to the instant pot one thank you

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...