Monday, January 15, 2024

Monday Message


"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

I think if the last four years taught us anything, it is that things can change quickly...and they can at any time. So having a storage in our homes is a very prudent thing to do.

I have been going through cookbooks marking things that I usually have on hand and are inexpensive to make. A while ago I found some bread machine cookbooks and the Fix-it and Forget-it big cookbook at the thrift store. The big cookbook has a price of $29.95 on the cover. My price was $2.99. I usually do not like to pay that price but it was a book on my "If I ever see it" list. I do like to utilize my crockpot.  

So looking for cheaper recipes is a frugal thing to do and this year I am going to have to employ frugal skills more than ever. I suspect a lot of you are as well.

I was given some sourdough starter and I am doing well at keeping it going happily. I have been using the sourdough discards in my bread making...

I first used it on this cinnamon raisin bread - wonderful tasting for sure. I have added it to pancakes and just about everything I make that I can use it in, I have.

So this is a skill I am building and speaking of skills I am building, here is the finished Christmas stocking where I am building knitting and colorwork skills...


Everything we can do to build these skills saves our family money.

I am still making yogurt weekly. Will be doing more tomorrow. When we start to eat the last quart jar, I make another batch (get the recipe HERE).


Same with granola - when we start the last jar I make more (yummy granola recipe HERE).

While yes, these homemade versions do take time (but so does going to the store), I cannot tell you enough how much they save us money.

I also have been mending my husband's suspenders. Sewing saves us tons of money.  

The other day I needed some organza for a project. I went to the thrift store to look for sheer curtains, they had only one pair so I got them. There were two long panels that didn't even looked used with a JC Penney tag home good brand that was crisp and new. The curtains were $5.49 but had a green tag so fifty percent off and then a senior discount on top of that brought that price way down. Then I went next door to a regular store. They wanted $5.99 a yard - just one yard. I got many yards in those long curtain panels. When we need something, we need to stop and think what do I already have on hand first, then second, can I look someplace used?

I looked at the price on clearenced fabric while I was there. I could not afford to make a dress with those prices, so I thank my past self for going yard sailing and to thrift stores and using freecycle as it helped me stock things that would be useful like fabric and notions and the great yarn haul I got from an auction house that did not want it and a great fabric haul from freecycle and a dear friend downsizing. Because now on a fixed income that grows less as prices grow more, it is coming in quite handy.

Also on sewing skills that I can repair and makeover clothing. Even though the prices are high on fabric, we can recycle and remake used clothing. So build those skills.

https://clark.com/save-money/save-money-on-groceries/ - we can expand on this list.

https://www.purewow.com/money/how-to-save-money-on-groceries-advice - I remember shopping with my list at a store when a younger lady asked if I worked for a facility because I had a list. I said no, I just write up a list. She said, "really? I just come in and get whatever." Then said her husband gets mad because she spends too much... So set a budget and try to stay in it. I know it is hard when prices go up even while you shop. Have a back-up plan. What can you do without?

https://www.mymoneycoach.ca/blog/budget-grocery-shopping-tips-to-save-money.html - good ideas here.

https://due.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-saving-money-on-groceries/ - more ideas.

https://www.winterparkha.org/25-simple-tips-to-save-money-on-groceries - more ideas.

https://www.mymoneycoach.ca/saving-money/saving-on-groceries - I like that this gives you percentages and also a chart with what to purchase instead.

https://thehappierhomemaker.com/ways-to-save-money-on-groceries-without-coupons/

These are ways to save while shopping but what then?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/ways-to-repurpose-leftovers/ - using up what we have in different ways.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/comments/q6welp/reinventing_leftovers_is_a_great_way_to_save/ - I like it when everyone chips in their ideas so comment below any ideas you have.

https://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/guide-repurposing-leftovers/ - ideas.

https://awgprivatechefs.com/post/how-to-repurpose-leftover-ingredients/ - every idea is helpful.

https://www.intheknow.com/post/creative-ways-to-repurpose-leftovers/

https://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/mhplibrary/recipes/7-slow-cooker-meats-that-make-great-leftovers

Look for inexpensive recipes... https://creativehomemaking.com/recipes/crock-pot/apple-and-cinnamon-oatmeal/ 

So these were some ideas to get you thinking.

Remember what they used to say..."Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." Some day I will make a stitchery of that.

Missy says we should use everything, even veggie cans can have holes poked in the bottom and used to plant seeds in.

Tippy Longstockings says she is thinking outside the box, trying to be a carpet sweeper picking up lint.

6 comments:

  1. Your Christmas stocking is amazing! I knitted a pair of socks years ago and said never again! After I finished the first sock, I surely did NOT want to go through all that trouble again to make it's match, but since God graciously gave me 2 feet and I had no use for only one sock, I did press on, struggled through, and finally finished the second one. I've been reading your blog weekly for well over a year, so wanted to pop in to say hello and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome... sometimes I do so far on one sock then catch up on second sock keeping it going so they finish together. I hope you are missing this brutal storm they extended our wind chill warning and day book this has truly been a rough one.

      Delete
  2. HI BECKY: QUE HERMOSO CALCETIN PERO CUANTO TRABAJO¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ NO SE SI PODRIA HACERLO, ES CUESTION DE INTENTARLO, EN ALGUN MOMENTO SALDRA BIEN. ES INCREIBLE COMO AUMENTAN SEMANALMENTE TODO AQUI EN MI ZONA, EL PRECIO DE LOS COMESTIBLES HAN SUBIDO TERRIBLEMENTE, TAMBIEN LA ROPA, EL CALZADO, QUISE COMPRAR LANA PARA COMENZAR A TEJER PARA EL PROXIMO INVIERNO Y ME ENCONTRE QUE EL PRECIO SUBIO ESPANTOSAMENTE, CREEME QUERIDA QUE YA NO SABEMOS QUE HACER, ES TAN DIFICIL VIVIR EN ESTOS TIEMPOS, NO SE QUE ES LO QUE VA A PASAR, QUIERO PENSAR POSITIVAMENTE Y QUE DIOS SUPLIRA NUESTRAS NECESIDADES, ES CUESTION DE FE. HICE UNA PUBLICACION EN MI BLOG CON MOTIVO DE MI CUMPLEAÑOS, TE INVITO A QUE PASES. CUIDATE DE TU CLIMA INVERNAL GLACIAL, HE LEIDO LAS NOTICIAS DE TU PAIS Y SE QUE ESTAN TENIENDO UN INVIERNO MUY DURO, PROTEJETE DE LA GRIPE Y LOS RESFRIADOS. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes things have continued to climb in price. I think of my grandmother's time things were hard then too I remember my grandmother would get old clothes from people she would refashion remake all by oil lamp. She told of making a little pinafore dress for my mom for a school music performance there was enough to do the dress but the blouse to wear under it there was no way to work it out the clothes were so worn she made the blouse so all the good parts of fabric were the parts that showed the front had a hole in it that was covered by the dress. So we must look back to how they managed they are our examples. I know some mom's get with other moms and trade clothes as kids out grow. Plus now anything goes so one can make fun patches decorative repairs. Yes we have had awful storms last one was twelve inches this one a little more snow than the twelve inches plus brutal cold. Upstairs I have pillows and blankets up against the two west facing windows...the wind chill warning extended a day more boo

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all those wonderful links ... will keep me busy for a while :)
    I always chuckle at your kitty captions ... this is one of the best "Tippy Longstockings says she is thinking outside the box, trying to be a carpet sweeper picking up lint."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She found some today from somewhere stay warm and put your feet up and enjoy the blog

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...