Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday Message


"We call upon priesthood bearers to store sufficient so that you and your family can weather the vicissitudes of life. Please see to it that those entrusted to your watchcare receive these two pamphlets entitled All Is Safely Gathered In. Exhort them to prepare now for rainy days ahead." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

Well we keep getting major snowstorms. In the middle of the second storm this week (at the time I'm writing this) they just said another is coming early next week, this one won't quite be over with when we get hit again.

So this is a good time to mention - are your winter things built up? If you are in summer right now, work on getting ready for when you will have winter again. We got twelve inches of snow in the first storm then this one is to be ten inches though I am not sure how one would measure as winds are drifting the snow. The back door has a drift up to my knees, the front door half of that drifted, but there are drifts all over.

It feels like ten below zero for now but this will be the warmest as the next days through Tuesday we'll see -45 so very cold temps are coming.

Then another storm. Makes me glad for storage.

Yesterday knowing this blizzard was coming today, I made two loaves of bread - one cinnamon swirl,  one plain. When cooled, I sliced all and put half of each in the freezer. I made granola and yogurt. I discovered on the yogurt that my house is too cold so I have to empty the jar of water and refill it again with hot water, so I will be doing that going forward through these colder months. The bread rises well because I set it by an oven vent while preheating the oven. 

We have kerosene lamps with oil as well. If we lose power (which could happen) our generator is working and is full of gas. We can manually turn on the gas fireplace if needed and I can still cook on top of the stove only if the power is out.

So these are what preps we have here.

I did oven stuff yesterday because I can't use the oven when power goes out.


Just something to think about. I learn from others who have gone through storms like when a huge ice storm hit many years ago when we all were just having email, this gal told of the hard time they had going through an ice storm. Here's some of the things she did...she would light little candles and put them in jars on top of the toilet tanks for the night (I think that now a days your little battery candles would give enough light for needing light in bathrooms). She said what drove her the most crazy was dirty carpets because this lasted for weeks and bringing in wood to burn made a mess. She wished she had a carpet sweeper. I had this in mind when I saw one at a yard sale for seventy-five cents. I bought it and use it in between vacuuming, so if I need it I have it.

Just the crazies going on here I say...hoping your new year is off to a better start.

I have been thinking on skills and how much I rely on my having skills like baking bread, making granola and yogurt were just a few, sewing clothes, mending clothes, you all saw me adjust suits - I never could have done that without some sewing skills. So skill building is a high priority.

https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Tips-for-Crochet/Crochet-for-Beginners-How-to-Start-Crocheting - good to learn as well.

https://www.favequilts.com/Beginner-Basics/Back-to-Basics-Quilting-Tips-for-Beginners - even using old clothes can be made into quilts. I have some very old blocks that someone made by hand, not machine, they never finished them into quilts. I plan to make a table runner maybe if there are not enough to do a quilt.

I took a picture of them but wanted you to be able to see the back of one. It is worn-out jeans, look at that hole. They used everything and we should too. Don't let anything go to waste.

https://www.allfreesewing.com/Basics-and-Tutorials/Beginner-Sewing-Videos-Learn-to-Sew-Tutorials -  we all need to learn this skill, even if only to mend.

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knitting-Tutorials/Knitting-Class#google_vignette - you can use this skill to make clothing. If you scroll down, you can see part one and two and other helpful knitting tutorials.

You can make useful things to wear, here is a cowl I have going in progress. This will dress up a church dress or two. But I have made ones for wearing out in the cold.

We need to build our skills.

Yarn is expensive (very expensive) so if you haven't yarn to use or want to make an item... https://blog.tincanknits.com/2021/02/04/how-to-recycle-yarn-from-second-hand-sweaters/ you can undo certain sweaters as she shows here, saving the yarn to make another item like a sweater or mittens or hats scarves. This gal, by the way, has great free patterns on her site.

You can do the same with sewing, I have a nightgown that I plan on using to make a slip from.

Being able to remake things is a great reason for having a sewing skill.

Remember to use everything. Don't be so quick to purchase something you can figure out. I am wanting to learn tambour embroidery but to do so I needed organza fabric which I did not have, so I went to Salvation Army and bought a curtain which was way way cheaper than going to the fabric store. Next thing I needed was a stand so I can have one hand on top and the other hand under it...so I am turning a stool upside down and will affix the hoop or frame to this "stand." I also like to do shadow applique, organza is good for that too. So thinking on what you can do with what you have is a skill as well.

Things are not getting cheaper so learn to be as frugal as you can be.

Dee shared this gal in the comments, I am enjoying her frugal ideas - https://www.youtube.com/@FrugalQueeninFrance. Thank you, Dee!

Missy says sometimes it is good to think outside the box or, in her case, a brown bag.

Tippy Longstockings says when a storm rages outside, lay in front of the fireplace and be sure and roll over to warm your belly too.

20 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: QUE FRIO HERMANA¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ ESAS SON TEMPERATURAS QUE ASUSTAN Y DAN MIEDO, SE QUE HA MUERTO MUCHA GENTE EN TU PAIS POR EL TERRIBLE INVIERNO QUE ESTAN TENIENDO, AL CONTRARIO DE ACA, ESTAMOS EN UN VERANO CALUROSO Y SE ESPERAN TEMPERATURAS DE 40 CENTIGRADOS EN LOS PRIMEROS DIAS DE FEBRERO, HOY HACE CALOR, MAÑANA MAS Y ASI DURANTE VARIOS DIAS, ES LA PRIMERA OLA DE CALOR DE ESTE NUEVO AÑO, CREO QUE ME VOY A DERRETIR,CASI NO SALGO AFUERA SOLO LO NECESARIO, COMPRAS,CITAS MEDICAS, IR A LA IGLESIA LOS DOMINGOS, MAÑANA CUMPLE AÑOS UNO DE MIS HIJOS CUMPLIRA 34 AÑOS, ASI QUE TENDRE QUE HACER UN SACRIFICIO PARA IR A SALUDARLO Y COMPARTIR ALGO RICO CON EL Y SU FAMILIA. TENGO VARIOS PAQUETES DE VELAS POR SI SE CORTA LA LUZ COMO EN EL VERANO PASADO, TENGO MERCADERIA Y POLLOS CONGELADOS, COMEMOS LIVIANO POR EL CALOR, PERO MIS HIJOS Y MI ESPOSO COMEN MUCHO JAJAJAJA, NO ENCENDEMOS EL HORNO YA QUE TENGO UNA ENORME COCINA DE 5 HORNALLAS GRANDES Y ERRADIA MUCHO CALOR Y SE CALIENTA LA CASA, ODIO EL VERANO TRAE MUCHOS PROBLEMAS, MOSQUITOS, FALTA DE AGUA QUE ES OTRO PROBLEMA, ECT. BUENO ESPERO QUE DIOS LOS PROTEJA MUCHO DE LAS TORMENTAS VENIDERAS, ESTARE ORANDO POR USTEDES. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that was two weeks ago and today it is 48 degrees wonderful and the sun is out after having fog for days on end....i am hoping that we are done with the extreme weather we had when this post was written. We try to keep two weeks ahead on here incase I get sick or something happens so we are already better right now by a lot weather wise. I am sorry you are having it so hot....maybe when it is very hot you can come back to to this post and maybe it will cool you off. I think weather extremes might be the new normal. We have to all try to take care a full time job. Love ya

      Delete
  2. ENTONCES YA PASASTE ESA DURA TORMENTA? ¿Y COMO LES FUE? ¿HUBO MUCHA NIEVE? ME ENCANTA LA IDEA DE REUTILIZAR ROPA VIEJA PARA HACER MANTAS ECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are past those storms in all twenty inches but brutal cold glad to be passed it. But winter is far from over just hope we don't have that again. You stay cool there I hate heat.

      Delete
  3. My goodness your blog post is covered with advertisements. Never seen it like that before.
    I have been reading Frugal Queen for many years. They have also refurbished several homes and resold.
    I made your chocolate cake again yesterday! We live it!
    Our weather is in the 70’s this week. Such a welcome change!
    Stay warm! Always look forward to your Monday posts!
    Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am two blog posts ahead this has passed thank goodness we are 40 today so I can stand that hope no more brutal storms this year. I love that chocolate cake it is my favorite recipe.

      Delete
  4. I remember the big storm of '21 when we got the ice and low teens here in SE Texas and power outtage. I was so grateful for my gas stove as I could still cook. I used battery tealights for the bathrooms and they give off plenty of light. I have a window next to my toilet, so I took a towel and hung it up over the curtain rod and that helped insulate with the cold coming through the glass. Another thing I did was heat up all my cast iron skillets and turned off the stove and the skillets gave off heat and helped to warm the kitchen. I have an old school enamelware percolator too, so my mandatory coffee was not an issue lol. It's amazing what you can come up with when you have to. I got lots of reading done during those 3 days of no power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all taking notes from your ideas. I am two weeks ahead on blog for if there is ant problems so I am happy to say we made it thru all that brutal cold we did not lose power but it was soooo cold. Tomorrow will be 55 that will feel like a heat wave.

      Delete
  5. Hi, it's Terra. I would love to have that cinnamon bread recipe please. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/02/lizas-machine-bread.html this first recipe is what I use and I toss in a handful of oatmeal I set the machine to dough setting when I rises high over the pan this takes an hour and a half to get that high in my machine then I pat it out into a rectangle wide as your pan then I either make reg bread and roll up and put in sprayed pan but if making this bread sprinkle with sugar and lots of cinnamon and this I used craisins but you can use raisins too then roll up starting at short end and roll up and finish like all the others when it rises one inch above rim of pan put in a preheated oven three fifty and cook for fourty. Minutes take out of pan onto a cooling rack I spread butter over top while hot then I cool before slicing with elec knife. Enjoy

      Delete
  6. Great encouragement to read. Thank you for sharing. We really do have a lot at home we can make do with.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yes just taking time to think outside of the box believe it or not all but a little here and there of that snow is gone yay

      Delete
  7. BECKY: PASA POR MI BLOG, ES UNA PUBLICACION ESPECIAL. BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my special is what that is for sure what lovely pictures how special thanks for letting me know

      Delete
  8. Becky thank you for all you do for us. I make yogurt for many years using recipe from Wildly Affordable Organic. by Linda Watson.simply warm milk to start bubbles around edges. Cool to baby bottle wrist test. Stir in yogurt for starter. Make a yogurt nest with heating pad folded into towel.. Turn on low. about 8 hrs for my nest. Don't have to do anything more until done. SO easy. I can see when it is set by checking a small jar...Use my recycled smallest jars over and over, ie jelly jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds pretty much a good way of doing yogurt thank you for sharing this info it will help us all. I am glad you like the blog

      Delete
  9. Sorry the last comment was from Dee in NC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing I am glad you are here keep sending us good ideas

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...